Author Topic: another starter question  (Read 7849 times)

Offline spiderman

• New user!
another starter question
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
from the electrically challenged.  I just brought this 07 1250S home a week ago and the seller apparently forgot to tell me about a problem.  When I hit the starter button the headlight goes out but the starter doesn't turn over and I don't even hear a click.  This was an intermittent problem which quickly grew worse and now it won't start at all.  The battery shows 12.8v resting and the last time I was able to start it the voltmeter showed 14.6 when running.  Still thinking it was likely a battery problem I jumped it off a small 4 cylinder car (engine not running) but with the same results.

1. Would it do any harm to jump the starter relay under the seat?  I don't want to damage anything. 

2.Also, if I do that, does it bypass the clutch and side stand safety switches when I do that?  I'm not smart enough to read an electrical diagram.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks a bunch for the help.
central Illinois
07 Bandit 1250S
08 Versys
07 KLR650

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Re: another starter question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:33:36 PM »
When you push the start button it closes the starter relay aka solenoid.  Jumping across the two big terminals of it does the same thing.  Shouldn't hurt anything but watch for sparks and disconnect (un-jump) when it starts (sorry if that's a no-brainer).  Yes doing that will bypass all the other switches.

Offline spiderman

• New user!
Re: another starter question
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
OK, got it figured out today.  I jumped the solenoid and the starter engaged immediately so I knew the battery and starter were both good.  Then i went to the next likely culprit, the clutch safety switch.  Voila - that was the problem.  So I did the controversial bypass to the switch and all is well.

I know those safety switches are there for a very good reason but I've always bypassed them on my dual sport bikes over the years so I'm pretty used to not having one.   

:thanks:Thanks for the help on this.  That's what these forums are known for and they are a great resource.  I'm brand new here and hope I'll be able to help out some others.
central Illinois
07 Bandit 1250S
08 Versys
07 KLR650