Author Topic: Anti freeze  (Read 5068 times)

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Anti freeze
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:01:19 PM »
In one part of the service manual, it states in part, "...do not mix an alcohol base anti freeze and different brands of anti freeze."  In the owner's manual, it only says to add coolant if it is low.  I picked up some Prestone 50/50 (trusted quality since 1927) that is premixed with distilled water.  I can top off with this right?  It is an ethylene glycol base coolant...also has diethylene glycol???

Offline JReviere

• Board Homesteader!
Coolant
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 09:10:27 PM »
There are two concerns to avoid:

Since Bike Engines are largely aluminum, the antifreeze must be clearly indicated as being ALUMINUM SAFE.  

Second, Some bike engine water pumps have non-metalic water pump impellers.  Some antifreeze products contain a very mild abrasive designed to scour the inside of the cooling system in engine blocks.  Using an antifreeze containing an abrasive will destroy the water pump impeller in those bikes which use a hard plastic or rubber compound impellers.

If you are unsure, the best alternative is (here I'm biting a BIG BULLET in making this suggestion) go to a motorcycle shop... preferably one selling the bike you ride, and purchase your antifreeze there.  

However, educating yourself about antifreeze and additives some makers put in their product is the WISE way to go.  

Rules of thumb:
ALUMINUM SAFE ONLY
NO ABRASIVE

JR
Lake Livingston, TX
Live Long and Prosper.

Offline heath3n

• Board Homesteader!
  • '04 ZZR1200
Anti freeze
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:27:02 PM »
Great info JR. Thanks!  :bigok:
Lord help me be the person my dog thinks I am![/i]

Offline JReviere

• Board Homesteader!
coolant
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 10:46:05 PM »
Health:

Welcome.  

Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted.

JR
Live Long and Prosper.

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Anti freeze
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 02:38:48 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I think the Prestone is okay.  It only too about 1/4 cup to bring the level up.

Offline Roy

• TURBO TYPER!
Anti freeze
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 08:26:47 PM »
I had to add some coolant to my bike at 500 miles. It was 1/2" below the low line. I had a little left over quart of Suzuki brand coolant. It took 4 oz. to bring it up to the Full line.

On a side note anyone got a radiator that looks like the black paint was not applied well and the aluminum color shows through? Well mine does and I am not so sure its not because it may be leaking. I can't detect any dampness but it does seem to be powdery in these discolored areas. I would take a pic but the flash screws it up. I am conculting the dealer saturday and putting it on record in the file. May be nothing but sure does have me wondering.
'07 Bandit 1250S
'07 RM-Z450 RC edition
'06 GSX-R1000
'82 GS1000SZ Katana

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Anti freeze
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 05:56:28 PM »
Quote from: "Roy"

On a side note anyone got a radiator that looks like the black paint was not applied well and the aluminum color shows through? Well mine does and I am not so sure its not because it may be leaking. I can't detect any dampness but it does seem to be powdery in these discolored areas.

Nothing out of the ordinary on mine aside from some brown dried water spray from the front tire.