Author Topic: B1250 OEM color matched top & side case install  (Read 9082 times)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
B1250 OEM color matched top & side case install
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »
Finally picked up the bags at the dealer 140 miles away on my way to visit extended family in LA and Orange county CA about a 600 mile trip. Anyway the hardware install was strait forward, very strong and top notch and about as close as you can get before compromising strength and access. The color panels are easy to install and can be replaced if scuffed for those who can't keep them clean, but I understand now why the color panels only cover the areas that will not get scuffed by the feet when mounting & dismounting, very clever Suzuki. Anyway along with the photos here I have also included the drawings so you can see what to expect. I also have the back rest I haven't installed as it requires drilling and wanted to ride it ASAP. I also have the optional short mounting bars (not seen) for mounting only the side cases without the top case frame retaining the hand rail for a simpler look. As soon as I decide which one I will keep I will be selling either the top case and rack or the side case only rail frame which is much shorter on each side. You will notice the side case locking mechanism designed without the option of inadvertent jettison of the side cases while on the highway, a feature another manufacture is experiencing problems with LOL.

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: B1250 OEM color matched top & side case install
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:24:15 AM »
 :clap:
"Wow" that really looks great Gunner and thanks for sharing! :thanks:

:beers:

Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
00 Copper/Black VS1400 Intruder
58 HD Sportster H

Offline wilinfla

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »
Thanks for the pics. I am planning on buying just the sidebags after the hoildays. The installation looks great.

Will
Will

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 03:30:45 PM »
Here is the configuration you want, notice the difference in the side supports in which the grab rail look is kept. The part is called the side bar mount sold separately for the side case only configuration. At the time a bought it as not even the dealers were sure if this part was needed for the entire top&side case configuration or not. With 20% off it only cost me an extra $85 OTD and beside I may want to change the look or if I find the side case set up too invasive for city traffic. The top case rack came with ornamental plugs also so that a configuration without the side racks will look normal as well. Total color match investment for both top& side case plus 20% OEM discount $1225 OTD.

Offline Heyu

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 05:08:56 PM »
Gunner very nice now that you have it do you think yo'll be able to mount a yosh pipe on there  or is it going to be to tight?
 I like the bags but I'm not sure about the trunk.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 06:16:43 PM »
It funny thing, I have always placed function and comfort above looks, making due with after market racks, ebay hard cases and rag bags all for under $400. But I figured this time around I would just this once in my life I will be extravagant, at least for me anyway. I have always preferred a hard top case to hard side cases because of the possibility of getting snagged on a cage while cutting traffic and the convenance of being able to stay upright while accessing items in the truck like a cage. But now that I am retired and no longer commute 100 miles a day on freeways and live in an area of the state where traffic jams are as rare as rain I feel pretty confident about the bulgies on each side. As far as a high performance slip on usually I would be all for it but unlike my sold B1200 its isn't as easy or cheap to get this bike uncorked as to do it right you would also need to open the air, invest in an 02 bypass, after which you would need to remap with a PC or similar device and after that you would almost certainly need to synchronize the throttle bodies. So your looking at $800 not including the manometer and the cost of labor. So not having a Yosh slip on that will fit at the moment is a good excuse to save some money and enjoy the silence, something I haven't experienced before but as I get older getting to enjoy even on my dirt bike less sound is taking priority over a few more horses. I am considering as an alternative installing an air horn with a lock button should I have to ever need to cut traffic again and maybe a strobe light up front to help other see me head on.
Below is the B1250 configuration without top case, you may want to consider ordering the top case bar without the top case to be used as a rack which is laser cut with the Suzuki emblem. The mounting prongs can all be removed for use as a rack and you always the option to add the top case later.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:05:32 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 07:00:08 PM »
Here's a thought, invest in the OEM Top case mount only, part #990D0-38G05-060 for $209. It makes the strongest rack you would ever need load rated at 20 Lbs and it comes with the ornamental black plugs if your not going to add the side case racks or the Top cases. It's shape looks good with the Suz emblem. The cool thing is later you can upgrade to the top case or side cases but don't have to invest much right now, the best of both worlds.In the photo above, you have to imagine the side case racks and top case hardware missing as without them the unit is flat, smooth and slender.

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »
Gunner, again I must say the luggage really looks great. :bigok: I was wondering how the Top Case Rack was installed. Amazing one picture and the Suzuki diagram really clears everything up.
I was wondering if you get the time could you show a close up picture(s) of how the rear turnsignals are reinstalled for using the Suzuki sides cases? :thanks:

Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
58 HD Sportster H

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 09:43:33 PM »
As far as the turn signals mounting if you look closely at either of the side case diagrams you will note the smaller inner corner diagram shows the included hardware to plug the original turn signal mounting holes. The larger portion of the diagram shows the turn signal's new location on the mounting rack with the wires cut and rerouted out between the bottom back sides of the rear brake light lens and lens housing to reach the new turn signal location on the bracket. Once rerouted you have to wester union splice and solder the wires back together then tape or heat shrink insulate. The diagram shows it much better as you can't see the work on the bike unless someone pointed it out you, you would never be able to tell that they were relocated or that work was done, its that clean with a factory look.
   There are a couple of anomalies in the Suzuki diagram. You will note on the top case rack diagram spacer number 4 looks quite large when in reality the spacer is the thickness of 1/8" and only one spacer is used on each side of motorcycle underneath the front pass peg bracket hole to level out and compensate for the thickness of the bracket mounted underneath each side of the rear pass peg bracket hole.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:05:46 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 10:11:26 PM »
 :thanks: Gunner,

I'll go and have a closer look at the diagrams.

Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
58 HD Sportster H

Offline KenB

• Board Homesteader!
    • Ken's Home Site
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 08:31:20 AM »
Looks great GUNNER! You may recall, I went the same route last September and am still very satisfied with this set up. A nice (albeit pricey) combination of form and function.

One word of caution: The latching mechanism on my top case failed after a few hundred miles of use. It looks like they used screws that were too short. They popped out with plastic embedded in the threads and the latching mechanism fell to the ground. The case was quickly replaced under warranty. This may or may not be a manufacturing flaw so I thought others should know about it.
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 10:46:41 AM »
Wow! I'll have to try and ID those screws so I can replace them and avoid a warranty hoedown, rather avoid the drama. If you have any pics of the damage that would be cool, but I can probubly figure it out.

As far as pricing we could have saved about $300 with the parent contracted company Givi which uses the same cases. However to me it wouldn't have been worth it because they are ugly colored and I still would have wanted to order the color match panels. Although the Givi side case frames are 1 inch closer on each side, the Givi top case frame you would have to use is ridiculously higher by 3 inches, looks too gawky. Then when you consider the shipping cost added for Givi to dealer pick up its a wash for me with the OEM cases still looking far better, especially compared to either the oval dutch oven style or the ammo can styles out there. Besides without the overbuild of the side frame design Suzuki used, you probubly would have experienced cracking in the rear frame as one has already reported with the SW Motech lighter designs.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:54:09 AM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline KenB

• Board Homesteader!
    • Ken's Home Site
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 11:02:02 AM »
Wow! I'll have to try and ID those screws so I can replace them and avoid a warranty hoedown, rather avoid the drama. If you have any pics of the damage that would be cool, but I can probubly figure it out.

As far as pricing we could have saved about $300 with the parent contracted company Givi which uses the same cases. However to me it wouldn't have been worth it because they are ugly colored and I still would have wanted to order the color match panels. Although the Givi side case frames are 1 inch closer on each side, the Givi top case frame you would have to use is ridiculously higher by 3 inches, looks too gawky. Then when you consider the shipping cost added for Givi to dealer pick up its a wash for me with the OEM cases still looking far better, especially compared to either the oval dutch oven style or the ammo can styles out there. Besides without the overbuild of the side frame design Suzuki used, you probubly would have experienced cracking in the rear frame as one has already reported with the SW Motech lighter designs.

I debated the same things when I was case shopping. I'm still glad I popped for the Suzuki stuff. It looks like it's meant to be there. Some of the Givi stuff looks awkward on bikes. And this is one of the few farkles that you won't lose money on if you decide to trade the bike in.

Here's some pics of the latch failure and crews that were sent to Suzuki. Not great quality but you get the general idea...

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 12:27:34 PM »
These are the twin screws that are inside and in the middle (side to side) bottom of each case that face out toward the locking mech right? What was the fix from Suzuki, longer screws or did they just send you the same hardware? I may have to take it apart and figure a way to use some flexible adhesive to prevent it from falling off should the screws fail, like silicone sealer. Use it on all my dirt bike to hold my license plates as the screws would always back out but never lost a plate with that stuff, yet peals off easily.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:35:17 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline KenB

• Board Homesteader!
    • Ken's Home Site
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 04:21:37 PM »
These are the twin screws that are inside and in the middle (side to side) bottom of each case that face out toward the locking mech right? What was the fix from Suzuki, longer screws or did they just send you the same hardware? I may have to take it apart and figure a way to use some flexible adhesive to prevent it from falling off should the screws fail, like silicone sealer. Use it on all my dirt bike to hold my license plates as the screws would always back out but never lost a plate with that stuff, yet peals off easily.
Those are the ones, yes. Suzuki just replaced the entire top case and told me to keep the original  :thanks:

In fact, I just fixed the original case with some longer screws and adhesive, and will be selling it in the Spring if anyone is interested. With only a few hundred miles on it, it's in like-new condition.