Author Topic: Gearshifter too low from the factory?  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Roy

• TURBO TYPER!
Gearshifter too low from the factory?
« on: August 13, 2007, 07:48:47 AM »
1st time I have ever had to adjust one on a new bike. Kept getting 2nd too 3rd gear not quite engaged so I took some measurements. Stock the shifter was 60mm at the "a" measurement (service manual reference). I attempted to adjust the rod but could only get one side loose, darn they are stupid tight. Anyway with only getting one loose I was able to get it too 57mm which is way better but still not in the 45~55mm service manual range. with having only one adjuster nut loose I had too remove the gearshifter lever from the engine and turn the whole thing on the rod. Two turns out is what I ended up doing but I really need two turns off the bottom one too but that ain't happening with that stupid nut too tight. Lower shifter rod nut will not come loose. I can live with the way it works now. BTW I have small feet size 9 so basicaly its adjusted wrong from the factory. I went ahead and pulled the shifter off to check the pivot for grease, hardy any. I added alot of Bel-ray waterprrof in the pivot and its good to go now.
'07 Bandit 1250S
'07 RM-Z450 RC edition
'06 GSX-R1000
'82 GS1000SZ Katana

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:22:19 PM »
THE NUT ON THE RIGHT IS REVERSE THREAD
turn it as if you are tightening.

Mine was good until i bought new boots. had top move it up some to avoid shigft problem.

Offline Roy

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 07:12:08 PM »
which one is right and which one is left? If you are looking at the rod which is at a angle up to the right I was able to get the nut loose at the top of the rod but the one at the bottom is the one I cannot get loose. No mention of reverse threads in the service manual.
'07 Bandit 1250S
'07 RM-Z450 RC edition
'06 GSX-R1000
'82 GS1000SZ Katana

Offline Roy

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:59:02 PM »
Thanks DaveG, I got it set at 50mm now and it feels much better. Bottom nut was reverse thread pattern as you said. The thought crossed my mind yesterday that it might be reversed but I could not see the thread to confirm it and the 100 degree heat had my thought process cloudy :grin:

thanks again! :motorsmile:
'07 Bandit 1250S
'07 RM-Z450 RC edition
'06 GSX-R1000
'82 GS1000SZ Katana

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:35:46 AM »
welcome
enjoy

Offline gunzip

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Gearshifter too low from the factory?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 10:37:21 AM »
 i adjusted my linkage almost all the way out cuz i i like a high position now it seems the linkage might be binding up a little , occaisionally really hard to downshift.
 Anybody else noticed this ? I am going to move the top spline over a notch and readjust to see if it behaves better in the middle of the adjustment range