Author Topic: B1250 Radiator bug screen, sharp looking, effective and FREE!  (Read 6815 times)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
B1250 Radiator bug screen, sharp looking, effective and FREE!
« on: November 15, 2007, 01:41:32 AM »
I went down to Lowe's to see what they had on hand rather then order something that cost a small fortune with a brand stamp.  I found allot of similar materials used in retail like vent filter screen in the right size I also found other wide mesh stainless screen material identical to some seen on other products. Any of these screen materials can be made to fit easily for pennies on the dollar but the problem is that hardly any retail designs do the two most important jobs that I require and need, bug screening to protect the radiator and free flowing air passage at the same time. I also looked at aluminum screening material which in my opinion does screens insects from clogging the radiator, allow free airflow, looks good, easy to install, and cost nothing if you happen to need a door or window re-screened. It just so happened that I needed my sliding back door screen replaced so I purchase a 80x45 roll of black aluminum screen (not plastic screen) for $7.50. After repairing the door I had a section of aluminum screen that was 9 inches wide and 45 inches long, enough to make 2 radiator screens for the B1250 radiator.

Step (1) With a pair of scissors and a long ruler cut a strait rectangular section of screen 8.5 inches wide X 22.5 inches long.
Step (2) With a piece of sharp welders pencil or chock and a ruler as a strait edge draw a border 1/4 inch from all sides. Then use the long hard ruler or long level to bend up the edges 1/4 inch along the line made, first the length all the way over 90 degrees on itself then bend the width same way overlapping the length. Then use a rubber mallet or clean boot (no dog crap) to well flatten and secure the bend. This hem will stop the possibility of unraveling. Now your piece of aluminum black screen should be 8x22 inches and ready to fit into place, the measurement of 8X22 inches is designed to provide ample leeway without any unsightly slack. Now follow the bold text for each photo.
First hold the screen up to the COLD radiator lightly and careful so as not to crease it prematurely, rap the screen around to get an idea where it is centered. Then on one side line up the first pair screw holes where the aluminum radiator guard was already removed and using a marlin spike, pen or pencil, spread open (not rip) a hole to accommodate the aluminum radiator guard screws. NOTE in the photo below the red arrows indicating the spread screen holes where you will easily attach the first side of the aluminum radiator guard over the screen loosely.

Now on the opposite side of the bike and radiator from where you just secured and reinstalled the aluminum radiator guard over the screen, you are ready to repeat the procedure EXCEPT this time you will be holding up the screen against the holes tightly SLIGHTLY stretching the screen, then mark the holes by stretching a hole with a marlin spike, pen or pencil again then let go of the screen and relax for the next important step.

With the holes made this time install the bolts through the aluminum guard and the screen without installing them onto the radiator until they are together first like in the photo below so that they will easily stretch into position and install and without any temper tantrums. Now secure both side to torque, no additional fasteners needed.

With 80 degree temperatures here in SW Arizona I test drove the install for 45 minutes at highway speed 60-80 MPH and this is what the screen looked like when I returned home, exactly like I installed it and with no sign of overheat or damage to the screen. Also note that because the screen is taunt and stands off from the radiator, I believe it will act as a protective shock absorbing shield against debris.

So remember you can spend more, but you cant get a more functional or attractive screen at a lower price LOL.
NOTE: One last thing using this method you can install any gauge screen you like as there are many different types and some that provide better debris protection but do not screen insects as well. You can even use them in combination to get the best of both worlds which will be my next post, maybe something shiny.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:29:36 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline Pidgey

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x57/pidgey_photos/
Re: B1250 Radiator bug screen, sharp looking, effective and FREE!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 12:03:05 AM »
Hey man, looks pretty good  :clap:  With the bugs you guys have down there, your rad needs some protection.... :stickpoke:   I had a relative bring me back a billet cover back from Deutchland, saved on shipping..... :bigok:
07 Bandit GSF 1250
07 Bandit GSF  650
07 Ural Patrol

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 12:00:12 PM »
Thanks.  We have all seen how hard it is to clean a automobile radiator, the bandit radiator cooling fins are very tight and I suspect whatever bug goo that gets in there is not coming out. So some low cost bug screen that can be tossed every year like a filter rather then cleaned should work great behind a thicker slotted radiator guard, I just haven't found anything I like or can make myself yet.

Hey man, looks pretty good  :clap:  With the bugs you guys have down there, your rad needs some protection.... :stickpoke:   I had a relative bring me back a billet cover back from Deutchland, saved on shipping..... :bigok:

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »
That really looks good, very practical and functional as well. What size is the space between the back of installed screen and front of radiator grill? I would imagine less than 1/8" right? I wouldn't think there will be any extra heat issues with that design.
Good job and  :thanks: for sharing.

:beers:
Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
00 Copper/Black VS1400 Intruder
58 HD Sportster H

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 02:36:11 PM »
The spacing between the screen and actual radiator fins is the same distance as from the edge of the radiator housing about 1/4 inch. Actually a screen like this allows more air flow then a decorative slotted guard. But you have to remember that the ambient air hitting a radiator while moving is considered incidental, the real cooling doesn't take place until the fan kicks in which draws the air through. This although fine enough to filter out gnats the weave still only comprises 3% of the volume. Its only when you use a sun blocking screen that you start compromising air flow, why allot of people don't use it as it allows no air flow in the house. This screen is just aluminum treated with a black oxidation inhibitor nothing thick and very porous. Anyway when I ride I notice no difference in the periodicity the fan turning on and off, an indicator that the radiator is getting the air it needs but most importantly no bugs of any kind which can really plug this radiator, probubly permanently. I do plan on installing a guard overlay for rock hits, but it almost impossible to find soothing that is thick enough to repel a stone and at the same time stop small insects so the screen with a guard should provide the best of both worlds.

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 03:16:22 PM »
Yes, I agree a screen and a small guard should do the trick. This might be an idea and something to think about. If I remember correctly my 650 Vstrom and SV both had radiators and in addition they both had oil coolers. The radiators are install higher up in the same location as or Bandit. But the oil cooler was installed lower down and under the radiator. The oil coolers had the wire guard in stalled to help protect the oil cooler fins from debris kicked up from the front tire.
I guess what I'm getting at is the radiator should be okay with just the bug screen. But for added protection and piece of mind. There is a fender extender sold for the bike. It may or my not be to everyones liking when installed. But it will keep the front tire from throwing up any road debris to the front of the engine.
Dale Walker at Holeshot sells the fender extender.   http://www.holeshot.com

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:18:33 PM by A1A »
Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
58 HD Sportster H

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »
You make a good point about front tire sling, goodness knows my B1200 oil coolers was caked in the middle with road tar being kicked up when crossing over highway asphalt repairs being made, the large grid screen did nothing to stop it, and incidentally this screen on my B1250 will provide enough surface tension to stop heavy liquids like tar from making it through.
   My primary concern is with gravel carriers or small projectiles falling off of a vehicle that can hit the radiator just once and cause a puncture ruining a trip. I might go with a metallic louver design that provides large slotted overlapping openings for good airflow but from the front provide no exposed surface area, sort of like industrial vents only smaller polished stainless, chrome or polished aluminum. Anyway one thing at a time. I just got a call from my dealer that my top and side cases have arrived but I'm still waiting the the double bubble wind screen I'm having them hold the order until the screen also arrives before making the 280 mile round trip to pick everything at the same time. Price you pay when shopping around but $30 in fuel was worth the $900+ savings in price (bike $ bags).

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »
I see what you mean about flying debris from other vechicles. Anyway I still think your screen over the raditor. Is a great idea for all the bugs that get plastered to the front of the raditor.
I'll be interested to hear about that new Suzuki luggage and windshield. Maybe even some pictures as well.

Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
58 HD Sportster H

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 02:30:54 PM »
Good job Gunner!  :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline S_Dodge

• New user!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 01:58:23 AM »
Gunner,
Great idea!
Another thought is exhaust fan filters used on kitchan vents.
They let air through, but are also a heavyer mesh stainless material.
They may even stop a rock!

Winter here know, may look into it further in the spring.

Marry Christmas

S_Dodge