Author Topic: Best Magnetic Tank bag for 1250....?  (Read 12049 times)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Best Magnetic Tank bag for 1250....?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »
I didn't want to get the ones that use glue to stick to the tank. It comes off and on no problem.

Good idea...I'm glad the magnetic plastic works well.

The Tankslapper material is also not held on with glue, it just "squeegees" on, and can be removed and reinstalled many times. I wanted a clear protector over the paint, and this material seems to work reasonalby well.

I have had some of the parts come loose during use however, particularily where me knees touch the tank. It seems like my AlpineStars leathers have too much traction, and eventually catch an edge. But then I usually remove the material, clean it and wash/wax the tank again, then reapply the material, and good for another month or two. I have tried a bunch of different waxes to see if it would help the "stick", but not really.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Best Magnetic Tank bag for 1250....?
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 02:09:24 AM »
I've tried the vacuum adheasive stuff and as long as the bike is upright or you don't try to move it it works ok. However if your putting a tank bag on it with much more weight I would be a little wary of it. I picked up that magnetic square for like $20 and it does not come off at all, unless I want it to. Right now I'm just using a tank protector just for the part your family jewels rub up against and it's very firmly on there, not only does it have some vacuum action, but it's a magnetic solution as well. I just cut the piece into something that resembles a normal tank protector and you can't tell the difference from a "professional" one and this. I was going to buy one from these guys as my friend bought one and they are of good quality, but I just cheesed out and got his and traced it on the sheet I bought but if you want something more "professional" see the link below:

http://www.mag-knight.com/Tank%20Pad.htm

They also have sheets you can buy as well. Fortunately my bike is black so a black sheet works fine but if your bike is a funky colour maybe these guys would have your colour:

http://www.mag-knight.com/products.htm

Their sheets are 30 bucks but they have a funkier more professional surface to them. Mine is just vinyl black very much like the black mag knight protector. In fact you can't tell the difference between my friends "official" one and the one I made, except mine doesn't have the little logo on it.(Sorry mag-knight I'm a cheap bastard)

If you have a sheet on the top of the tank you can go totally hog wild and that tank bag is not even going to touch the paint. As a side benefit it will hold more securely as the vinyl surface has more grip than a fine gloss coat of paint. When you sell the bike you just peel the magnetic vinyl off there and the paint underneath will pristine like it came out oft the factory.

The one I made is a copy of this and look completely identical including the surface:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:37:05 AM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.