Author Topic: different type of tire question ...  (Read 11027 times)

Offline edsrockin

• New user!
different type of tire question ...
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:00:09 PM »
so i have run Metzeler Z6s on my 600 bandit for three sets now and consistently get around 4-5K out of the rear tire. i got my 1250 bandit (07 model) earlier this year and when it came time to put new tires on, i went with the Z6s again. this was my first set and have had no experience with them on the 1250. the rear tire is nearly bald all the way across the tire -- there is SOME tread left on the edges, but that's it. i only got a little less than 1500 miles on this tire. now i do tend to corner aggressively, but do on the 600, as well.

so the question.  is the 1250 so much more weight and (of course) torque to merit half the life of the tire? did i just get a bad tire?

(the bike is used mostly for corner carving but did do a trip from east TN to DC on slab)

i really like the performance and feel of the Z6 and am okay with 4-5K mile wear, but i cannot afford to replace tires every 2K or less. just was curious to hear from other B1250 owners that run the Z6s and ride aggressively what their experience(s) were with wear.
it's always an adventure

ed rockefeller
09 KLR650
07 bandit 1250
01 bandit 600

Offline deanozx10r

• Board Homesteader!
Re: different type of tire question ...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 02:13:42 AM »
Your comparing your 6 to your 12 thats a big difference in rwh, the bigger bike will eat tires when out playing. And they ment for that bike to have all it power in the mid range I bet in the 1500 miles you put on you were pretty heavy on the throttle. Things to think about what were your tire pressures, if you were running them lower for grip that'll speed the wear up. And it looks like they made 2 different versions of that tire, the one for the bigger bikes probably was made to have more grip for the added power and torque. If you want them to last your going to have to stay out of the throttle. Or try different tires like a multi compound, just remember if you choose to go more toward the touring tire your level of grip drops off. I go threw 2 rears to 1 front in a year, I change my own tires and run race take offs. I can get almost 1500 miles out of a rear, im a licensed expert road racer and my street pace with my wife on back is probably faster than most would ride by them selves.

Offline edsrockin

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »
thanks deano. that makes sense. although i guess i didn't expect there to be that drastic a difference in wear. i knew the 1250 was heavier and more powerful, just didn't expect to only get 1/3 of what i was getting.

thanks for bringing this up (and your contribution of course), i had forgotten all about this thread. i meant to update. emailed metzeler asking if they had any similar feedback to what i experienced. they didn't but offered ...

"As this is a decent size bike we would suggest fitting the C spec rear that features a 2 ply carcass that improves mileage and is designed  for heavier bikes. As the Z6 has been out for many years we know riders looking for the best mileage are using 40 front and 42 rear psi and sometimes getting upwards of 7-10K miles of use before replacement. "

now i'm sure those getting 7-10K out of a rear are not using this beast to it's full potential, but when i get around to a C spec, i will try to remember this thread and update for anyone else that may be interested. i found a clearance on the same tire i had for $100 through bikebandit and figured if i only got 1500 out of a $100 tire, that's not bad. next up will be the C spec, unless i luck into another deal like that.   ;j

it's always an adventure

ed rockefeller
09 KLR650
07 bandit 1250
01 bandit 600

Offline deanozx10r

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
When I use to buy tires for the street I would get them threw a tire wholesaler and pay like 250 a set. Usually I could find the front for around 100 and rears for 125-150. I would just do some shopping to find the best deals, your local shops rape a guy with there prices. You pay probably 75 bucks more for the tires, mounting & balancing, and disposal fee to get rid of you old ones. Have fun keep the rubber side down!!! :beers: