Author Topic: engine & fairring protection  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
engine & fairring protection
« on: October 13, 2007, 04:23:57 AM »
So I've been looking into either crashbars/engine guards or frame sliders so I can protect my new 1250s incase of an "incident"  Anyone have any suggestions on what works best or does anyone use anything themselves?

I know I had seen a website that listed frame sliders and even ones that mounted one the front axle, but figured I'd see if anyone else has an opinion.

Offline bottomfeeder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 09:49:18 PM »
I am looking to get these
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3750/584/
I have not ordered it yet -- Like you I am still looking at my options.

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:21:06 PM »
Their site seems to have the most options right now.  They also list a givi crash bar that they said would work on the 1250 BUT I have yet to see a picture of it.

I think I may wait until the 2008 parts catalogs come out at the various dealers and see if anything is listed

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: engine & fairring protection
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 08:59:55 PM »
Just curious if anybody installed any crashbars/sliders yet?

I just got my bike Oct 31, 2007 and instantly realized without some protection. Some mighty important and expensive engine parts are going to get broken. If the bike tips over or goes down at speed.

:bikeflip:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 09:02:27 PM by A1A »
Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
00 Copper/Black VS1400 Intruder
58 HD Sportster H

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »
As soon as I get my OEM hard cases in and mount them I'm going to try and fabricate a set of my own that are detachable and will protect the bags and fairing while still keeping them relatively stealthy. I have been thinking of this long enough as the sets of protectors on the market while protecting the engine side case do nothing to protect the fairing. Im not looking to make a set of hog protectors just something strong, tubular, contoured, and close fitting. It may even be as simple a set of strategically placed and extended sliders. Anyway I have to try as I have the time.

In the mean time I always use a set of rules to avoid havening the bike fall over while stationary, which has worked for me as I haven't dropped a bike on the street for 20 years.
(1) Always keep the bike balanced before dismounting especially with a passenger, then while placing the kickstand down first glance down to insure the kickstand is locked forward before placing weight on it.
(2) Always mount first before your passenger and wait for your passenger to dismount before you get off to insure balance.
(3) Always mount and dismount with the kickstand down using the foot beg to hoist yourself in order to freely swing or lift the your right leg clear of the motorcycle while the kickstand or center stand supports the bike for you.
(4) Alway check unfamiliar parking locations for wet oil spots which will cause your footing to slide and slip in push your bike.
(5) keep your familiar parking area clean of debris and junk to avoid tripping hazards while handling your bike on foot
(6) Always have strong help when ramping a bike like a friend or mother inlaw.
(7) Avoid parking on inclines and if necessary park with the nose up hill so the incline works against the kickstand keeping it locked and place the bike in gear. Also place the rear tire against the curb to block movement.
(8) Most importantly always make deliberate and slow conscientious actions when mounting, dismounting, pushing, and parking your bike. Never ever be in a hurry or preoccupied during this.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 04:21:23 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline A1A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »
All very good points and have tried to do the same with my bike. However I never carry a pillion rider. But if I do, I'll keep your passenger riding information in my mind. :thanks:
You might want to keep the fabrication templates for the crash bar & fairing protector/sliders. Because you might be getting a bunch of orders for them. From the rest of us Bandit 1250 riders. :thumb:
Richard
07 Red Bandit 1250S
05 Blue DL650
04 Yellow SV650N
00 Copper/Black VS1400 Intruder
58 HD Sportster H

Offline Ed G.

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:14:47 PM »
I just mounted these engine guards:

They are very well made; all holes are properly drilled. I had to slightly prop up the shfting mechanism (I used a botle jack) to align one of the bolts and there is one through bolt that could use a second pair of hands to properly torque.  You can see the mounting instructions on the Tisted Throttle site.

I mounted a pair of highway pegs on the guards to rest my aging knees. The tubing on the guards is 1.09" and you need pegs that have mounting hardware which  can be bent around, or otherwise accomodate, this oversized tubing.

Ed G.
Ed G.
Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Oscar Wilde

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 02:05:39 PM »

(5) keep your familiar parking area clean of debris and junk to avoid tripping hazards while handling your bike on foot

Dingdingdingding! That's how I dropped my bike on its right side, narrowly missing my neighbour's new car. Stupid garage door motor installers had left staples, screws, and all sorts of crap all over the place, and I slipped while backing into my space.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 02:36:46 PM »
It would really benefit everyone if you could post a digital picture of the guards, particularly with the freeway pegs and how you mounted them and what source.

I just mounted these engine guards:

They are very well made; all holes are properly drilled. I had to slightly prop up the shfting mechanism (I used a botle jack) to align one of the bolts and there is one through bolt that could use a second pair of hands to properly torque.  You can see the mounting instructions on the Tisted Throttle site.

I mounted a pair of highway pegs on the guards to rest my aging knees. The tubing on the guards is 1.09" and you need pegs that have mounting hardware which  can be bent around, or otherwise accomodate, this oversized tubing.

Ed G.

Offline Ed G.

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 06:30:54 PM »
 O.K.
Here are some pics.   I bought the pegs on e-bay They are no names.  I wanted the pegs that mount with mild steel strapping so I could bend them to conform to the odd sized (1.09")tubing of the engine guards.

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=19hrz5eh.6w71jvj5&x=0&y=-euua1q
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 11:50:54 PM by Ed G. »
Ed G.
Oscar Wilde

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »
I use my web sight to bounce photo's in here or from anyplace else for that matter by right clicking on the photo and selecting "copy image location" and then use the "insert image tool" in the "post reply menu". Stormi is the guardian of the matrix she will know what to do. Now if we can only summoned her, Ah concentrate!
:storm:
O.K.
Here are some pics.   I bought the pegs on e-bay They are no names.  I wanted the pegs that mount with mild steel strapping so I could bend them to conform to the odd sized (1.09")tubing of the engine guards.

Oops! the pictures never got posted. I can't figure out what to do.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 11:53:33 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline Ed G.

• Board Regular!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 11:14:11 AM »
Sorry,  but I don't have my own website and my computer skills are limited to "drag and click".

Ed G.
Oscar Wilde

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »
Sorry,  but I don't have my own website and my computer skills are limited to "drag and click".

Photobucket will give you free webspace to store your pics you want to share.  The board's FAQ (in the top section of the main menu) has a thread on how to post pics.  It's really not hard.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline SteveM

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 02:14:08 PM »
Has anyone tried their handlebar riser barbacks? Having switched from a Suzuki Marauder, I'm finding the leaned-over style hard on my wrists and back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2006 Bandit 650S