Author Topic: Gel seat  (Read 4659 times)

Offline cyclegeo

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Gel seat
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:28:17 PM »
Has any one tried the factory gel seat? The Suzuki website says that it is recontoured both front and rear for more comfort.

Offline PhilS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Gel seat
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »
2007 Red Bandit 1250S (Morphed into a Sport Touring Model)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
Ouch! Price has jumped up considerably from what they were charging for the 2G gel seat!  They're treading in Corbin territory (though Corbin still isn't showing one for the 1250 yet).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PhilS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
My personal experience (the only experience I can have) is that the stock seat and your stock butt break in to each other after a thousand miles or so - YMMV. I had the Gel insert put in my seat from Spencer which removed the buzzing clearly transmitted via the engine to frame to seat pan amplified by foam to my person. The gel insert removed it completely and was only $50. The passenger seat does not have it installed and you can clearly tell the difference simply by putting a finger on the back seat versus the front seat. "Things" that used to become numb after an hour riding, are no longer becoming numb......which is good. Chances of me buying the pre-registered seat from Sargeant are slim at this point. I expect it, like Corbin, will run in the $400 range.
2007 Red Bandit 1250S (Morphed into a Sport Touring Model)

Offline Bandit1250

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:35:23 AM »
Don't forget a Gel seat gets EXREMELY hot in the Hot Summer months.
I know guys that have them and have to cover them in the Sun becasue they get so Hot!!

I'd get a Corbin or a Sargent before I'd get a Gel.
Past Pleasures....all memories
2006 Triumph Sprint ST1050
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1984 Honda V651100 Sabre
1986 Kawaski Vulcan 750N
1982 Suzuki GS750EZ
1974 Suzuki GT380 2 stroke street

Offline Bossk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 04:01:26 AM »
I recently picked up a gel insert and a piece of memory foam and did a hatchet job on my seat getting them in  :grin:  But once I got the foam cover thinger on and the stock seat cover back on it looked pretty much exactly the way it did before (slight rise as I didn't get it totally flush and I mean very slight) anyway long story short, after a couple hours of riding my butt would generally get fairly sore, now after a couple hours riding it feels more or less the same as when I jumped on the bike.

It was pretty easy to do, just a hours work or so, little messy cutting the foam on the seat, but for $50 off an ebay store it has made one hell of a difference and I'm glad I did it.
-Jon

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
  Yeah the problem that I have is the same as Phil's. Certain areas going a little numb and I know that my wife is not going to like that.. Any way I am glad that I chimed in here because you guys seem to have a lot of solutions to the seat problem, and I just might have to try one of them. I would love to be able to ride those 500-600 miles with little discomfort. I used to ride a Honda Sabre and I am sure that the seat on it was stock but I rode a many a mile in that seat and never had any thing go closed to numb. Thanks for all of the options for a better seat...Banditone1250S....

There is a thin line between fear and respect...Feel free to drift across it every now and then.... :burnout:
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »
I think I'm the only one to never complain about the seat.

Either it's because I'm light (145 pounds) or it's because I'm used to bicycle seats which can be REALLY painful. Like 10 minutes of saddle time and you've got a bruise for two days.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:24:01 AM »
PhilS, can you address the "gel gets HOT" issue?  is that something you've noticed.  I'm planning on sending both the rider and passenger seat to Spencer this winter (if there is one) and getting the seat redone, but I want to know about the overheating issue before I do. 

Thanks!
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit