Author Topic: Got me a brand new GSX1250FA I did  (Read 12161 times)

Offline bstard

• Board Homesteader!
Got me a brand new GSX1250FA I did
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:30:29 AM »
Hi
Just picked up my brand new 2015 GSX1250FA today.

The last 2015 model left in New Zealand but I managed to grab it.

First question...

I know that the seat is adjustable but is the standard setting from the factory the low or high setting?

If it is the low setting then how do you go about getting the seat even lower?

Can you get the seat reupholstered lower?....can you get it down lower enough to make it worth the effort?

Thanks
Richard

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Got me a brand new GSX1250FA I did
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
i don't think that seat itself is adjustable (but TBH i never examined how seat of GSX-F is made), usually rear shock has adjustable pre-tension which has effect on adjusting seat height but it is not proper way to set the seat height. it is used to adjust rear shock performance based on rider's weight.

if you need to get seat height lower you can either find a shop which will lower seat itself. they can disassemble the seat, cut the foam (if there is place left to do so) and fit new cover. or you can replace cushion levers for rear shock by ones with different length to make bike lower (which is preferred way to do so).
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline bstard

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Got me a brand new GSX1250FA I did
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:54:57 AM »
Hi
Here is the answer to my own question.

The standard seat setting is the lowest.

You can raise the seat up to the high setting from there but you cannot lower it.

So there you go.

Now after owning the bike two days these are my first impressions...remember that I am coming off a GS1200SS Jap domestic only model.

Seat height....Dam near getting nose bleeds it is so high compared to the GS. I am on tiptoes at the lights and it is not a nice feeling.

I have some lowering links on the way and will be interested to see how much loweri ng it will effect the side and center stands.

Smoothness...As this is my first fuel injected bike I am checking the off idle transition carefully. So far it seems ok and the motor itself is silky sooth and pipe is a bit too quiet. .

Water-cooling...once again this is new to me..I was surprised that on a 10 degree celsius day that the fan came on after about 5 minutes of stop start traffic. So I checked the coolant level at home and was shitting myself at first.
I couldn't see the coolant level tru the side of the overflow bottle but after calming down and moving the bike around I could just see the coolant thru the "not transparent enough" overflow bottle.It was OK.

Riding position....On the GS you really sat "in" the bike but on the 1250 it feels like I am perched way on top of the bike. I know I will get used to it but it sure feels different.

Handle bars....I am shocked at how close they come to the tank at full lock.
Way too close for my liking so maybe if I roll the forward a bit it might help.

Foot pegs...I had to lower the ones on the GS as my old knees couldn't handle being that cramped.
This bike feels much better with more "leg room"

Gearbox...Much better than the GS. Can still find neutral on the way to 2nd if I get lazy but real nice

All in all not too bad so far.I know that I will get used to this bike differences just like I did the GS.
Thanks
Richard