Author Topic: GSX-650F... Bandit?  (Read 7241 times)

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
  • A man's got to know his limitations.
GSX-650F... Bandit?
« on: September 20, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
I was sitting at the dealer this morning while they put on a new front tire (Roadsmart) on the B1250.

One of the mechs came out of the back and asked, "Who's waiting for the Bandit?" I raised my hand and he said, you want me to grind down the clutch lever to remove the burrs?"

I looked askance at him and said, "You're just changing my tire."

He said, "Oh, must be a different Bandit," and he goes looking for the owner.

Meanwhile, I had been sitting next to a kid who was also waiting and I looke down and noticed his owner's manual in his hand: GSX-650F. Suddenly it dawned on me that the mech was looking for this guy.

"I think that's your Bandit he's talking about," I said.

He looked at me and smiled and said, "I don't ride a Bandit."

Now, this kid was maybe 24 and something about him just screamed, "Rookie! First bike!"

I explained that his bike might not say Bandit on it, but that the mechanic clearly recognized it for what it was. When the mechanic came back through I put him and the kid together.

So, my questions is, why does the 650 not carry the Bandit moniker? On the Suzuki website, the big Bandit is listed under the Standards menu, but the the 650 is under the Sport menu. What up with that? The 600s Bandits proudly sported the name and they were a pretty good success, weren't they?

Wait... I just figured it out. The young bike crowd doesn't want a motorcycle with a NAME; they want a motorcycle with LETTERS AND NUMBERS. Also, they don't want a bike listed as a standard; they want a sport bike. It's all marketing and sales, huh?

As a side benefit in terms of ethics (which is sorely lacking in motorcycle and car sales), it also gives a salesman an option to steer a new rider toward a machine they can reasonably be expected to handle. The little Bandit still carries the sportbike styling, but without the awful ergos and terrifying performance, so they can still pose with their buddies without nearly as much risk.

See, if I talk it out, I can sometimes answer my own questions. Saves you guys having to think I'm an idiot... or not.  :grin:
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Previous bikes: '03 Vmax, '01 Bandit 1200, '99 Bandit 1200, '97 Vmax, '82 Yamaha Seca 650

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: GSX-650F... Bandit?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »
You did good!  :beers:

I wonder if they'll offer a GSX1250F anytime soon?
Personally, I like the looks of the GSX650F, but having a B12, don't want to move down to a 650.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

stevendpclark

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 11:50:07 PM »
On the Suzuki website, the big Bandit is listed under the Standards menu, but the the 650 is under the Sport menu. What up with that?

Interesting, the Canadian Suzuki website lists that bike under the Street section, not in the sport section ( but it doesn't carry the Bandit name either... ) This *might* have to do with the new Quebec plating requirement up here, where sport bikes carry a premium price every year. So you might be very well be right, simply marketing... Sigh, I hope that the 600 naked version will still be offered one day, I love my 02 Bandit 600, it would be a shame not to buy another one simply cause its marketed to a sporty crowd....

ippo

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 03:31:20 AM »
"Interesting, the Canadian Suzuki website lists that bike under the Street section"
+1 The Finland website.
http://www.suzukifinland.com/content/index.html  (strike "MALLISTO")
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 03:39:49 AM by ippo »

Offline Paul Gagnon

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:36:35 PM »
As far as I have been able to find out from reading reviews on the internet, the GSF650 Bandit is no more in North America and the GSX650F is the same bike with a different fairing and different computer programming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/sportmotorbikes/2749719/Suzuki-GSX650F-is-the-complete-package.html

http://cars.uk.msn.com/Motorbikes/Bikes.aspx?cp-documentid=7389697
2007 GSF650S
2007 Can-Am Outlander 500XT

Offline Morrissey

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:47:49 PM »
I live in Canada.  Basically we got the AWESOME Bandit 650S (with liquid cooled engine) for one year and that was '07.  Unfortunately, here in North America most riders prefer bulky cruisers or race-replicas and thus the Bandit is a poor seller.  I don't know why, personally I think the bike is great.  So, for 2008 they brought us the "GSX650F".  It has the Bandit frame, Bandit engine (tuned ever so slightly different), Bandit tranny, wheels, etc etc, but they bolted a more race looking full fairing to the bike, gave it a GSXR styled paint scheme in the hopes of nabbing more young buyers.  The idea being the GSXR is too pricey and insurance is too high for the younger buyer, so here, buy a bike that "looks" like the other one.

The down side is that the GSX650F does not offer the adjustable seat height or handle bars, but it does offer fake ram-air scoops up front!

Up side for 2009 is ABS is now standard. 

Offline Hash

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »
Ok, I'm late to this discussion so apologies all if you know this already..

Here in the UK we have the Bandit 1250 (4 versions: Standard, Streetfighter, SA and GT) and also the 650 (2 versions: Standard and SA). However, there is also the GSX-650F which if a bandit 650 with fairing lowers but and instrument cluster and nose from onr of the GSX-R (me thinks)

Anyhoo, the instrument cluster is v different from the regular Bandit 650
See this: http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/gsx650fk8/gallery/

It was also very well recieved here in the UK. Here's a good review:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/sportmotorbikes/2749719/Suzuki-GSX650F-is-the-complete-package.html

Hope this helps

Ride safe!