Author Topic: Mixing dino & synthetic oil  (Read 12381 times)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Mixing dino & synthetic oil
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 07:02:28 PM »
Thanks For all the input guys.

A local bike accessory shop (Cycle Gear) was selling motorcycle specific Mobil 1 at 40% off.  Came to about seven bucks a quart, so I bought some.

I know it isn't a big deal to change the filter, but if the manufacturer doesn't think it's worthwhile to change it, why bother?

Ed G.
Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Oscar Wilde

$7 a quart is about the going rate for m/c specific Mobil 1.  They normally charge around $11 a quart?    :shock:

For future reference, the auto blend has about a .05% different ingredient formulation than the m/c specific blends.... not worth the extra $3.60 a quart to me... I get 5 qts. at Wal-Mart for $22.

That savings pays for a new filter... which has much more impact than the slight difference between m/c Mobil 1 and auto Mobil 1.

:beers: :bigok: :bigok: Couldn't agree more! But then again who am I! And what it does for the clunky shift problem alone is well worth the few bucks more.I have run it for 5 K and had it tested. Still as good as dino out of the bottle and shifting was still smooth. Mobil 1 15w50 Diesel Oil Rocks!   :motorsmile:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »
Oil filter! As easy as they are to change on a Bandit, and just break in!  :annoy: Don't scrimp there!! :duh:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:16:27 PM by Daytona »

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 07:10:02 PM »
Sorry guys, I can't help it - Lubrication Training 103 - Synthetics and Antiwear Agents

To the original question, mixing dino and synthetic is ok with any brand if you NEED to.

Not necessarily true...although generally OK. Without getting overly technical, there are lots of ways to make lubricants "synthetically", but you generally only want to use synthetic hydrocarbons for blending with mineral based hydrocarbons

PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) are the most common synthetic, often co-blended with Diesters (Dibasic Acid Esters) to improve additive solvency. These blend just fine with mineral oils, and this is what you will usually see.

but other products are used to make synthetic oils, usually in NON engine oil applications, including:
Phospahate Esters (common in Fire Resistant Hydraulic Fluids)
Alkyl Benzene (Alkylated Aromatics) - fairly uncommon
Polyol Ester - FR fluids and aviation turbines
Poly Glycols - (common in compressor service)

There have been times when someone has used these other products to formulate engine oils. More common 15-20 years ago, but you do need to be careful.

Again, any PAO (with or without small amount of Diesters) blend with mineral oils just fine. So absolutely no concerns with Mobil 1.

Just some comments on blending, generally.
Avoid 50/50 blends (even with mineral oils) as this is where the most likely tendency for problems exist, expecially with anything that turns and mixes, and is exposed to heat. Since every oil you will ever use is fortified with some type of additive, the chemical balance CAN be upset. The most common problem we see is foaming, since you can make antifoam agents (which are really surface tension modifiers) using either acid or alkyline based technology. Add them together, and you can have a foaming problem.

On the other hand, reading Mobil1's spec page for comparing ZDDP levels for the different weight oils, it shows the BIKE oil has 1600ppm ZDDP, the 15-50 has 1200ppm, and the energy conserving type has 800ppm. Reading this, it would seem there is more than a slight difference between the Bike oil and the 15-50.
My math tells me that's a .04% difference between auto and motorcycle Mobil 1 formulations.

Chemically, this IS a huge change. The real question is how much zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) is the right amount? ZDDP is an antiwear agent. Think of it like putting a thin carpet on the metal parts. When the asperities (high and low points) on a metal surface make contact, the additive takes the brunt of the impact, reducing the wear on the metal part. Since most metal parts are floating on a film of oil (hydrodynamic lubrication), the amount of impact should be relatively small, unless the loads are very high, and/or the speeds are low.

There is a case to be made that additional antiwear can reduce valve train wear, but I'm not sure that valve train wear is much of a concern in our Bandit engines (at least the 1200 & 600's). Beyond that, the extra ZDDP should assist in reducing tranny wear, but again, the jury's out as to how much of a good thing is necessary.

Engines that should benefit from extra antiwear include big air-cooled singles & twins (especially pushrod Harley's), or other high torque/low rpm applications, and these engines generally NEED higher viscosities as well. (ie 15W-50 or 20W-50)

Anyway, back to the debate. For those who want to read some more opinions, check out these threads:

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=3835.0
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=4607.msg34061#msg34061
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=8263.msg62450#msg62450
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=8913.0
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:11:38 PM by pmackie »
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »
My math tells me that's a .04% difference between auto and motorcycle Mobil 1 formulations.

Chemically, this IS a huge change.

Still gonna disagree here.  We're talking 1200 parts per million versus 1600 parts per million.  400 parts per million difference?  I bet you could add 400 ppm of acid to motor oil and not notice any difference.

Again, we're talking real-world application here... not just theoretical values.  And paying double for a extremely minute amount of this-or-that additive in motorcycle specific oil is a complete waste of money in my personal opinion. 

Hell... I've used dino-based "motorcycle specific" oils that are alleged to have all the 'proper' amounts of additives that made my bikes run like sh*t.

Also, as I understand it.... too much zinc is not a good addition to oil for motors that have a catalytic converter... which the B1250 has, correct?

(I heard that from an 'expert' who may or may not know exactly what he's talking about.)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »
Another thing to think about! those additives in the bottle, zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) anti wear agent, get filtered out darn fast. So run a filter that does a good job or run one for too long and your extra $$ are just plugging up that extra good filter.  :roll:

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »
Bandit are known to have premature cam lobe wear and pitting.

Paul, the best aftermarket high performance engine builders and camshaft makers for cars, all of a sudden were getting warrantee claims for failures they never saw before. Their investigation led them to believe the new energy conserving oil, with less zinc and phosphates were to blame. They now advise customers what oils to use, what ones to stay away from.

The tiny amount of additives form a protective layer. It's not like you can dump lbs of metal into an engine and expect good results. Little tiny amounts do the trick. Too small an amount might do next to nothing.

I have a hard time believing the additives are big enough to get trapped in oil filters tho.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 10:28:05 PM »
So you really believe that those 800 or 1200 or 1400 parts per million of ZDDP form a coalition to lay down a protective barrier on your cam lobes?   :lol:

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 10:32:13 PM »
Hell, I'm no engineer, but I listen to what they report.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 10:59:14 PM »
Hell, I'm no engineer, but I listen to what they report.

What they report... or what the marketing department reports?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 12:45:54 PM »
 :popcorn2: Ahhh! Oil threads
One sure way to stir things up! :gloom: :storm:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 02:07:34 PM »
:popcorn2: Ahhh! Oil threads
One sure way to stir things up! :gloom: :storm:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's funny, when this one started, I thought the question was answered and it would peter out (unlike every other oil thread)...  I should have known better.  It's almost time to throw in a question about blinker fluid to really stir things up....   :evil1: :bolt:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »
How about segueing into "Which is the best tire"?   :wink:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 03:07:43 PM »
 :deadhorse: Well most start @ a 10 micron, and if its a cheapy with not much media will get plugged to a hole half that size! 5 micron is darn small! Change the oil what ever GOO it is and ride! :bigok:

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »
The best high pro pure non-petroleum synthetic motorcycle oil you can buy is made by a company that specializes in the development of race lubricants. Like Klotz which provides the best quality SF/SG (supposed to use) oil in a rage of wights from 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50, 20W-50. They also provide Technical data sheets on their oil performance, not back label euphemism http://www.klotzlube.com/tech/KL-830.pdf. And since its directly from the product maker they are reasonably priced, I manage to find it for  $8 a quart or cheaper by 30/50 gal drum.
    Oh and yes as per the Tech sheet will blend with all so called synth and petroleum oils. I have found it to outperforms the "over the counter shelf brand gallon container synth oil" so well that it virtually comes out looking the way it went inside. Whereas my experiences with the other has been that it go's in looking good and comes out black with the viscosity of water IMHO.  :yes:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:04:55 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »
Let's not forget that every time we change oil we are mixing the new oil with old (used). The ratio on the B12 is about 3 to 1 so, unless you are taking the engine apart to drain every single drop of old oil, you are changing only about 2/3 to 3/4 of oil.

Ergo, you are mixing dino and synth every time you switch between them.
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc