Author Topic: Mobil 1  (Read 11078 times)

Offline Pidgey

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x57/pidgey_photos/
Mobil 1
« on: October 19, 2007, 02:10:30 PM »
Anyone running Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50 versus the Suzuki recommended dino 10w 40 ? I've heard good stuff from a couple of riding buds that using it loosens up the tranny a bit and the motor runs cooler. Now that I have over 8k on the 1250 I was thinking of giving it a go. :motorsmile:
07 Bandit GSF 1250
07 Bandit GSF  650
07 Ural Patrol

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Mobil 1
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 03:44:14 PM »
You'll find a couple million different opinions on oil here.

Mobil1 15w50 is all I will use now in my 2nd Gen 1200.  I have tried about 4 or 5 different types... and keep coming back to it.

Smoother idle, runs cooler, easier shifting.

Offline Pidgey

• Board Homesteader!
Mobil 1
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 03:57:14 PM »
Quote from: "PaulVS"
You'll find a couple million different opinions on oil here.

Mobil1 15w50 is all I will use now in my 2nd Gen 1200.  I have tried about 4 or 5 different types... and keep coming back to it.

Smoother idle, runs cooler, easier shifting.

That confirms what I've already heard - thanks  
Love the signature pics.........  :clap:   :lol:
07 Bandit GSF 1250
07 Bandit GSF  650
07 Ural Patrol

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
Mobil 1
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 04:19:55 PM »
i was using it and switched to Rotella full synthetic 5w40

Offline Pidgey

• Board Homesteader!
Mobil 1
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 09:43:46 PM »
Quote from: "DaveG"
i was using it and switched to Rotella full synthetic 5w40

Hey, maybe that's better for our cooler climes, eh ?
07 Bandit GSF 1250
07 Bandit GSF  650
07 Ural Patrol

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
Mobil 1
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »
I have been running Mobil 1 10W-40 in the last four bikes that I have owned. As a matter of fact, my old GS1100S doesn't like anything besides 10W-40, anything lower and it shifts like crap, anything higher and it loses a little power. The higher you go on the viscosity, the harder it is to mover the parts through it and pump it. I don't see the benefit in running higher viscosity oil.
2006 Honda ST1300

1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Mobil 1
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 04:55:05 PM »
I've tried the 10w40 and while it was '2nd best' for me... it shifts worse than with the 15w50.  It was also only available in the motorcycle formula which is about 2x as much as regular Mobil 1.  They now have a 10w40 "high mileage" formula which I've heard doesn't work as well in the B1200 as the 15w50.

Results with the 1250 may be different, but here's what I know for certain using the 15w50 on my B1200...

1.  Bike shifts smoother than with any other weight.
2.  Engine temp is lower.
3.  The bike exhibits zero "tick-click-tick' when it's hot and I shut the engine off.  This did not happen with any other oil I've tried.

Also, Shell Rotella is a very popular brand among Bandit owners... and I know it works well for some people... but I wince when I see the 'fully synthetic' label on it.  It is NOT synthetic at all, but merely a 'Group III" hydrocracked oil.... "Dino".  I understand that in Germany, these pretenders can't even use the words "fully-synthetic" on their labeling or advertising.

The same goes for most of the other alleged synthetic brands like Castrol, Pennzoil, etc.  They are Group III.

Mobil 1 is a true Group V synthetic oil.  So is Amsoil, Motul, Redline, and Royal Purple.  At $20 for 5 quarts at Walmart... Mobil 1 is the mose competitively priced of these.

I won't buy the other "fake-syns" just on the general principle of what I personally believe is false advertising.  This may be a mute point to most people.

Since oil is supposed to be changed so regularly... I recommend everyone at least try the M1-15w50 once to see what they think.  It's not like you have to marry it.   :wink:

Just my $.02 worth.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Mobil 1
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 09:10:04 PM »
I've tried the 10w40 and while it was '2nd best' for me... it shifts worse than with the 15w50.  It was also only available in the motorcycle formula which is about 2x as much as regular Mobil 1.  They now have a 10w40 "high mileage" formula which I've heard doesn't work as well in the B1200 as the 15w50.

Results with the 1250 may be different, but here's what I know for certain using the 15w50 on my B1200...

1.  Bike shifts smoother than with any other weight.
2.  Engine temp is lower.
3.  The bike exhibits zero "tick-click-tick' when it's hot and I shut the engine off.  This did not happen with any other oil I've tried.

Also, Shell Rotella is a very popular brand among Bandit owners... and I know it works well for some people... but I wince when I see the 'fully synthetic' label on it.  It is NOT synthetic at all, but merely a 'Group III" hydrocracked oil.... "Dino".  I understand that in Germany, these pretenders can't even use the words "fully-synthetic" on their labeling or advertising.

The same goes for most of the other alleged synthetic brands like Castrol, Pennzoil, etc.  They are Group III.

Mobil 1 is a true Group V synthetic oil.  So is Amsoil, Motul, Redline, and Royal Purple.  At $20 for 5 quarts at Walmart... Mobil 1 is the mose competitively priced of these.

I won't buy the other "fake-syns" just on the general principle of what I personally believe is false advertising.  This may be a mute point to most people.

Since oil is supposed to be changed so regularly... I recommend everyone at least try the M1-15w50 once to see what they think.  It's not like you have to marry it.   :wink:

Just my $.02 worth.
   Hey your so on the spot on that! I think all of the 10wX?? is loaded with modifiers anyway. The 15w50 M1 just rocks. Rotella t in any form wears out and the shift will tell ya that @ 1800 to 2k max. The M1 will run past 5k and gets better it seems. Its diesel oil so no modifiers. We better hope the Mobil folks aren't watching! I got two 5 qter's on the shelf now in case they are. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:14:31 PM by Daytona »

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 02:24:38 PM »
I was using and testing some of the off the shelf brand oils for my B1200 (now sold). But after a while I realized that none of my off road dirt bikes could ever tolerate any of the off the shelf oils because of the much higher loads and heat placed on them then a blissful street bike. It was very noticeable in these dirt bikes when you would drain those oils they would drain out like water with a sudden rush and gush into the pan. Anyway for years I have been running synthetic race oil in all my off road motorcycles and it dawned on me to use it in my B1200 as well. All of the high grade off road oils brands are outstanding, I prefer Klotz MX4 15W/50 synthetic which I have been using in my dirt bikes for years and started using it in my B1200 before I sold it, and now my B1250 as well http://www.klotzlube.com/tech/KL-815-1.pdf.
   Although it cost me about $7 a quart where I buy it the difference is very noticeable in smoother shifting, smoother running, much less consumption (for what little there is) and most importantly durability. If I change it at the regular service interval it comes out looking and feeling like it went in, so I run it much longer and therefore the price is as good as value off the shelf products.

Offline Hanadarko

• LoneBandit
  • New user!
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 09:44:21 AM »
I have to make one comment here....not sure what its worth though.

Any mobil 1 (or any oil for that matter) that has "Energy Conserving" in the logo
label (SAE logo on back) - contains FRICTION modifiers.

IIRC, thats not cool for any 'wet' clutches.

I do believe M1 15w50 does not contain this but most (if not all) of the other grades of M1 do have that logo on the back.

I used M1 15w50 and that worked fine, but I ended up using
Mobil 1 MX4T 10W40 instead. ($8/qt at Checker Auto) Since it was designed for motorcycles and won't contain anything that could interfere with the clutch.

I have posted the FAQ from Mobil's web page here. Its worth reading. Of course I may not have any idea what I am talking about, but felt better using M1 that was designed for bikes.

Am I wrong in thinking this is a better choice?

FAQ's
Can I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in my bike, just like I use in my car? Mobil 1 is Mobil 1, right?

Mobil 1 for cars and Mobil 1 for motorcycles are markedly different. Every oil is a balance of benefits. Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic™ Formula for cars has been developed specifically to satisfy car manufacturers' needs for increased fuel economy and low emissions.That's why new cars come with friction-modified, low-phosphorus 5W-30 motor oil. The low viscosity and the friction modifiers help fuel economy. The low phosphorus levels help protect catalytic converters.

So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

First, let's be clear about Mobil 1's overall benefits compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:

Superior long-term engine protection.
Superior high-temperature stability.
Excellent low-temperature starting.
Outstanding engine performance.
Low volatility/low oil consumption.

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:
Different base stock systems.
Different additive packages.
Different formulations to meet very specific engine requirements.

What are the overall advantages of Mobil 1 motorcycle oils?

In addition to the overall benefits listed above – specifically, high-temperature stability and low volatility/low oil consumption – Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oils also offer superior anti-corrosion performance compared to conventional motor oil, which is important in many parts of the country where bikes may sit in garages for several months of the year.

Compared to conventional oils, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have superior wear protection, engine cleanliness, high-temperature protection and lower oil consumption performance.

Once you get past these general advantages, you have to deal with each specific motorcycle oil one at a time to understand the benefits.

Okay. Let's start with Mobil 1 MX4T. What does it offer that Mobil 1 for cars doesn't?

Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads. Remember, most bikes don’t have catalytic converters, so higher levels of phosphorus are not a problem.

In addition, Mobil 1 MX4T uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 MX4T is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

What about Mobil 1 V-Twin oil? How is that different from Mobil 1 for passenger cars?

Mobil 1 V-Twin oil is designed for air-cooled, large-displacement bikes. Because of their design, these engines can generate very high localized oil temperatures and high overall bulk-oil temperatures.

As you know, a typical air-cooled V-twin's rear cylinder gets a lot hotter than the front cylinder – it's a matter of airflow. When it's hot out and you're stuck in traffic, the oil temperature in your bike climbs rapidly. Above about 250° F, conventional motor oil is going to break down. Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic oil is good to above 300° F.

In addition, Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 is a higher-viscosity grade than Mobil 1 15W-50 for passenger cars. And Mobil 1 V-Twin has no viscosity index improvers, so the oil is very "shear stable." Simply put, Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic oil won't break down as readily as conventional oil.

Like Mobil 1 MX4T, Mobil 1 V-Twin has high levels of phosphorus/zinc and the same high-temperature detergent technology for superior wear protection and engine cleanliness, even at elevated oil temperatures.

With Mobil 1 V-Twin oil, you can go the full length of the manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals with ease.

And Mobil 1 MX2T for two-cycle engines? What's the advantage of using that?

First, you should never use an off-the-shelf four-cycle oil in a two-cycle bike. It can lead to severe engine problems. And much of what we've presented about Mobil 1 MX4T and Mobil 1 V-Twin oil does not apply. Two-cycle engines have unique needs, and so Mobil 1 MX2T has some very unique engineering. Mobil 1 MX2T:

Exceeds all U.S., European and Japanese standards for two-cycle oils.
Is specifically engineered to protect against piston scuffing and engine seizing.
Provides excellent high-temperature stability, which minimizes exhaust-port blockage and spark plug fouling.
Minimizes exhaust smoke.

Mobil 1 MX2T has a global racing pedigree, and offers the perfect balance of lubricity, engine cleanliness and low smoke for high-performance two-cycle applications.
The owner's manual says I should change the oil every 5,000 miles or once a year. I change my oil every 2,500 miles or twice a year. So why do I need that kind of protection?

For peace of mind and added protection. You pay a lot for a bike these days, so why risk running your engine in ordinary oil? Just like Mobil 1 synthetic oil for cars, Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil helps keep your engine clean – free from varnish and deposits – and smooth running mile after mile, no matter what conditions you ride in.

Mobil 1 benefits engine life and performance. In fact, the lubrication capability of Mobil 1 motorcycle oil helps maintain peak horsepower and acceleration throughout the life of your engine. And with Mobil 1 you can go the full 5,000 miles between oil changes.

So, if you want to ride your bike long and hard and not be concerned about the oil, choose Mobil 1 motorcycle oil.

-JD Bronson
J.D. Bronson
Current: 2007 Ninja
Ordered: 2008 V-Strom DL1000
http://www.myspace.com/hanadarko

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 10:32:01 AM »
The ingredient difference between Mobil 1 auto & motorcycle oil is definitely not 'markedly' different.  It's a matter of something like 1% more zinc in the m/c blend, and a couple other very minor differences.

As much as I like Mobil 1, the m/c specific stuff is quite a bit of marketing hype... because it's about 50% more expensive.

Keep in mind that if anyone from Mobil made a statement that auto-grade Mobil1 is fine in your motorcycle... it would KILL their M/C specific oil sales. 

Also, although the 15w50 I use does not have friction modifiers, the vast majority of people who do use the weights with friction modifiers in motorcycles have absolutely zero problems with clutch slippage.

There are also other weights (10w40) that also contain no friction modifiers.

If I were a betting man... I'd say the majority of people who do use Mobil 1 in their motorcycles use the automotive blends over the m/c specific ones.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:54:15 PM by PaulVS »

Offline Hanadarko

• LoneBandit
  • New user!
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 10:37:21 AM »
Thats cool...
It has been hard to find regular M1 10w40 here and since I ride here in WI in colder temps,  I didnt like the idea of using 15w50 at this time of the year.

So for a few bucks more, I opted for the cycle version of this oil in the proper grade.

When it gets warmer...I feel the 15w50 would be perfect.

:thanks:

J.D. Bronson
Current: 2007 Ninja
Ordered: 2008 V-Strom DL1000
http://www.myspace.com/hanadarko

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »
Thats cool...
It has been hard to find regular M1 10w40 here and since I ride here in WI in colder temps,  I didnt like the idea of using 15w50 at this time of the year.

Wal-Mart sells this in 5qt jugs for $20....

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_10W-40.aspx