Author Topic: More ridability problems while crusing  (Read 6403 times)

Offline dhula

• New user!
More ridability problems while crusing
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:04:24 AM »
Hi all. I have read and read and read but wanted to ask/post this one up as I really don't want it lost in all the other stuff relating to rideability problems.

Does anyones 1250S Bandit suffer form these symptoms. Please Note: I haven't converted to MPH etc as it really is reliant on engine RPM rather than road speed. I've only used road speed (Kph) as a guide. It'd be great if a Suzuki tech read this and could comment
This is after it's first service (1000 kms) and a TB sync

Vibrations:
Riding at 60-65 in 3rd gear there is a steady vibration on the pegs and bars. The best way I can describe how to replicate it is start at 60 and sllloooowwwwwly accelerate until you either feel it or get to 70. The taco should read somewhere just a smidj over 3000 rpm (between 3 and 3250 on my bike). My bike does it in any gear above 2nd at these RPM, I use 3rd as it's the 60 kph limit for around town riding.

Surging:
My bike only does it in 4, 5 and 6 gear. It does not happen in the lower 3 gears no matter how hard I try. I think it is something to do with the timing advance/retard function of the ECU.
Using 4th as an example riding at aprox 70 kph the bike will just feel not quite right. Not accelerating sharply then decelerating sharply but as if one cyl is not firing when it should every now and then. My bike does it at any RPM between 2750 and 3500 in any of the 3 top gears. It seams OK above 3500.
I find the best way to replicate this is to cruise up to the speed shifting at about 4000 rpm and not gunning it to get there (so miss daisy driving). The bike needs to cruise so not accelerating or decelerating and not going up hill or down. It has to be a nice flat road.
In 4th and 5th (and probably 6th but I can't hear it at that speed) I can also hear a tinny sound like a relay switching every now and then.  My best guess is that the bike is backfiring or fuel is igniting before the valves are shut (which is highly unlikely). I have had a couple of occasions when it has actually back fired with a definite BANG.

I have had the dealer ride it to return with a "I can't feel it" but amplified with "I had trouble keep a steady speed tho" and a "I don't ride these too often so I'm probably not the best person to comment". I also had the chance to ride another 1250S that had 8000 kms on the clock. It's did nothing of the sort when I rode it in fact it was smooth as a baby's bum engine wise.

Now before you ask, my bike has been back to the dealer to have the TB's synced and they were way out. The problem still exists however it has moved slightly down the rev range. It used to happen between 3 and 4k RPM before the sync. The dealer is also contacting the national tech guys to see if there is any pattern of this problem and a possible fix.

Just wanted to post up and ask if anyone has experienced it and found a fix without spending $$$ on tuning boxes, O2 sensor bypass etc, etc, etc.  I'm not real keen on spending $$ on a fix that shouldn't be there to start with.

Please discuss.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: More ridability problems while crusing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »
I'm not real keen on spending $$ on a fix that shouldn't be there to start with.

I wouldn't be either... that's what a warranty is for!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Dink_1170

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Think TPS setting. Search it on the various boards.

Dink
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care!!!
07 Bandit1250S - "Bonnie"
85 GSX1100EFF - "The Tractor"
82 GSX1100SZ - "Kitty"
82 GSX750SZ -"Lil Kitty"

Offline dhula

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:34:57 AM »
Bike goes back to stealer tomorrow. He will be re doing the TB sync. Hopefully this time correctly by his own admission. I will also ask him to look at AND adjust the TPS.

I'm hoping that this will cure the problem.

I'm at the stage of saying bye bye to the bandit as I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped. Due to this problem and only this problem.

I really hope I can get it sorted.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 01:10:20 PM »
Is this a repeat post as I have seen this one somewhere else before? It could be after all that some settings from the factory were off or have become that way as a result of brake in, like throttle body setting and synchronization which always seems to be the case with most EFI early serging and rough idle problems. If you are not mechanically inclined then I suppose the dealer is your only choice, just make sure you take it back to the purchase dealer and be insistent on being informed on all the detail letting the dealer know your need the info to validate work done against the manual, online forum feedback, and your correspondence with Suzuki USA and look him strait in the eye but be polite.
    "Trust but Verify!" Ronald Reagan
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:13:12 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline Dmaxhall

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:43:45 AM »
My 1250SA has a similiar issue with "hunting" but it is between 2500-3000 RPM when crusing at steady speed.
Very noticeable in 4th & 5th. Less so in 6th, but still there.

The bike is now at the dealer for the 1000km service and it will be checked out, (hopefully).

They are also going to look at the issue with the noisy clutch. Noise started at about 500kms. Clutch is noisy when engaged in all gears. Most noticeable when in neutral or the lower gears due to the road/engine noise in higher gears at speed.

I suppose I will see what excusees are offered tomorrow.

"It is dangerous to be right
 in matters on which the
 established authorities are wrong"
                                                       Voltaire

Offline dhula

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 09:02:14 AM »
How did you go with the hunting/surging thing?

I have found something out with my bike

Have a look at this thread on the two wheels forum.

You'll need to go towards the end of the thread to see my latest posts.
maybe it will assist in finding your problem/symptoms. I'm still waiting to hear from head office for an answer

Offline Dmaxhall

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 03:40:21 AM »
Told the dealer about the hunting issues when it went in for the 1000km service.

When I collected it, they said that they adjusted the fuelling (supposidly running lean) and to see how it goes. Same kms on the clock when I dropped it off to when I collected it. So they did not even test ride it before/after to trial.

However, currently not hunting. The adjustment may have sorted it.

Fuel economy is up the creek (200 km to reserve, even on the highway), is this normal
? :yikes:
 in matters on which the
                                                       Voltaire

Offline mi1lertm

• Ride it like your Dad bought it for you
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »
I noticed the Surge before I removed the secondary butterflys.  If you remove them it is butter smooth.

Mark
2007 B1250
HS full stage 2 W/4-2-1 header & K&N
Renthal ultra L/R bars
Yosh TRS/HS fork brace
Skidmark DB, 46T rear sprocket (+3)
Ohilns 715 rear shock

Offline Dmaxhall

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 06:16:31 AM »
Not quite sure I wish to do that, just yet.

Sync'd the TB's over the holidays. Smoothed it out a bit but the surge is still there.

Will prob. end up going the PCIII route to get the fuelling right. The guys at the shop are trying thier darndest but just don't have the variation needed to get it right.
Suzuki really needed to get the mapping right before they released the bike.  :annoy:

But, I suppose that the Bandit is and always has been a bike built to a price.

in matters on which the
                                                       Voltaire

Offline rworm

• Ride it like it's not yours
  • TURBO TYPER!
  • Need more BLACK!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 10:55:33 AM »
Did you do your synch yourself ?
Do you have an 02 bypass?

07 Bandit
06 CBR1000rr
07GSXR600 Quad
06 DR650

Offline mi1lertm

• Ride it like your Dad bought it for you
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 11:01:56 AM »
Getting rid of the secondarys will open up your bike nicly, I do not know of any one who has regretted it.  You can always replace them if warrenty work is needed.  Using a PCIII will have more of an effect with out the secondarys.  Your call, but the surging is an effect of the secondarys holding up the air flow and then releasing it causing the surge.

Mark
2007 B1250
HS full stage 2 W/4-2-1 header & K&N
Renthal ultra L/R bars
Yosh TRS/HS fork brace
Skidmark DB, 46T rear sprocket (+3)
Ohilns 715 rear shock

Offline Dmaxhall

• Board Regular!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 05:19:41 PM »
Rworm;
Yes, did the sync myself. No o2 bypass. Bike is stock.

mi1lertm;
Fair enough point. It will be something to consider.
 in matters on which the
                                                       Voltaire