Author Topic: New 1250 Engine Noise (and Octane revisited)  (Read 14977 times)

Offline PhilS

• Board Homesteader!
New 1250 Engine Noise (and Octane revisited)
« on: June 17, 2007, 09:31:20 AM »
Hi Guys:

I am new to this group and just bought a 2007 1250S non-ABS. I am getting this "ticking" sound randomly, like once every 10 to 20 seconds while between 2500 and 4500. I am in the break in period and have not run it up high yet, so I may hear it there too. I can also reproduce it on command by free revving it in neutral and it clicks at 4000 or so when bursting the throttle. It sounds like it is coming from the front top of the engine but I honestly can not find the source. Coils, valves, cams, etc, ???

Dealer says run better gas as he suspects a ping. I have been running cheap 87 but now on Shell 93 but only for two miles. The bike has 350 miles on it so far.

Any thoughts?
2007 Red Bandit 1250S (Morphed into a Sport Touring Model)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:37:30 AM »
:welcome:

I'd run at least one full tank of high test and see if it goes away. Or change brands. I run high test in mine all the time, but I may start going cheap every other tank once I get over 3000 miles.

Whtever it is, the dealer should take care of it. If it's pinging, it could be crappy gas or it could be timing, maybe a fault in the ECU, a sensor or a solenoid. I'd at least make the dealer run a diagnostic on it.

We are all in the same boat with the new B1250, I don't think any of us have much over a couple thousand miles yet. There's been a couple little quirky bugs, but nothing major yet. Keep us informed on this "ticking" thang, OK?  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:06:43 AM »
I'm surprised at you, Zen!! Master ASE mechanic, veteran racer and all that! :yikes:

Without re-opening the octane can of worms, let me just suggest the use a quality 87 octane fuel* (without alcohol, if you can) before moving up a grade or two - and only move up one grade at a time.
* This assumes the 1250 owners manual recommends 87 octane.
  87 octane as measured in the US method of (RON+MON)/2.

Remember, the higher the octane, the harder it is to ignite the fuel. You want to run the LOWEST octane you can without detonation.
The gas companies won't tell you that though... hmmm... I wonder why?  :wink:  

:btw: Octane thread in the General FAQ
And if you search the site for "octane" you'll two pages worth of threads on the subject.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
I'm surprised at you, Zen!! Master ASE mechanic, veteran racer and all that! :yikes:

Jeez, getting touchy, are we?   :stickpoke:  

Don't worry, Red, I'm not here to unseat you from your throne, Oh King of All Knowledge And Master Of Everything Technical In The Universe.  :lol:

Considering the info given, and not being there to do a "personal diagnosis", I basically just said to take it to  the dealer for a plug-in diagnosis. Got a problem with that?  :roll:

You want to run the LOWEST octane you can without detonation.

And if this "ticking" happens to be detonation?  :shock:

The B1250 has 10.5:1 compression, in case you didn't know... but that couldn't be possible, Oh Great Knower Of All!!!  :stickpoke:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »
1. Sorry for sounding like I'm touchy. I'm not. I just expected you to know this kind of rookie stuff.

2. I'm assuming the 1250 still runs on 87. If not, excuse me. I don't have one sitting here, or their owners manual to refer to. 10.5:1 compression running on regular is not at all uncommon.

3. I'm just saying running premium in an engine that doesn't need it is not only a waste of money, but hurts performance, not help it. You're not doing anyone or anything any favors by "treating" your machine to "the good stuff."

Quote from: "ZenMan"

You want to run the LOWEST octane you can without detonation.

And if this "ticking" happens to be detonation?

I thought that statement was clear... if you have detonation with 87, try 89... because 87 is too low. If it still exists, then premium would be called for. If you still have detonation in a stock 1250 after that, see your dealer. You have a problem that your warranty can take care of.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 06:53:44 PM »

I thought that statement was clear... if you have detonation with 87, try 89... because 87 is too low. If it still exists, then premium would be called for. If you still have detonation in a stock 1250 after that, see your dealer. You have a problem that your warranty can take care of.

Isn't that pretty much what I said in the first place?  :roll:

Offline PhilS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
Actually, outside of the ticking/clicking from time to time, the bike runs incredibly well. I am starting to go beyond the prescribed break in mentality and ride it like I'm gonna ride forever. I've come from a background of a Goldwing, GS700E, and a older 400 Honda Hawk twin. "Ey Carumba" this new bike is a rocket!!!---and I'm not even sure that's how you spell Ey Carumba!!! :bandit:

Even so, with the 93 Shell in there and 50+ miles under way since, it still has that random tick/click - especially when it is under very little load in the 2500 to 4000 range around 30 to 45 mph. :motorsmile:

I am set to have the 600 mile service in two weeks and have requested a full engine diagnostic (whatever that is) and the shop's super-tech to weed out any major issues.

More details in the saga..........
2007 Red Bandit 1250S (Morphed into a Sport Touring Model)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 10:13:02 AM »
Yep, she's a runner alright!  :bigok:  Every new owner says the same things... "Rocket!" "Smooth!" "Power!" "Torque!" and now you've added another one, "Ay Carumba!"

Well, your "ticking doesn't sound like detonation, if it was it would do it under load. Actually it sounds like an intermittent oil delivery glitch in the top end, Is your oil level full?

Make the dealer figure it out. I'm not gonna try to help anybody anymore since I'm a "rookie", and I get jumped on if I don't say every little word exactly the way Lord Red would say it. I'll just let him come up with all the answers, that way every thread like yours asking for advice doesn't turn into a nit-picking pissing contest.  :roll:

Keep us posted on the bike, and feel free to post in the other forums anytime. Good luck with the dealer  :wink:  :motorsmile:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 03:05:27 PM »

Isn't that pretty much what I said in the first place?  :roll:

No, it's not.  :tongue:  :wink:
I'd run at least one full tank of high test and see if it goes away. Or change brands. I run high test in mine all the time, but I may start going cheap every other tank once I get over 3000 miles.

Going to the highest grade right off the bat is not the same as what I said. (I said upgrade one level at a time.) The first suggestion is reinforced by your use of premium "all the time."
The "change brands" came second - and that part agrees with some of what I said, sort of.  :bandit:

:btw: What does the 1250's owners manual recommend for octane?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 06:13:02 PM »
Why do you keep turning these threads into pissing contests? Poor guy just wants some advice on his bike and you have to fight with me about details?

Going to the highest grade right off the bat is not the same as what I said.

Yeah, so what? Just because my approach is a little different than yours, or not exactly "what YOU said", that makes it somehow wrong?  :roll:

There's more than one way to skin a cat, and your word isn't one of the Ten Commandments, is it?  :annoy:

(I said upgrade one level at a time.) The first suggestion is reinforced by your use of premium "all the time."
The "change brands" came second - and that part agrees with some of what I said, sort of.  :bandit:

What the hell's the difference if he goes up "one level at a time" or just runs high test? It's only for one tank, and just to find out if it's detonation or not, by seeing if the "ticking" goes away.

Funny thing, turns out it's probably not detonation after all. If he had done it your way, he would have ran TWO tanks of higher octane to find out the same thing.

And what's it to ya what kind of gas I put in my bike? I like to run premium for the first 3000 miles when I break in a new bike. I have my reasons, and it's nunya business.

Who are you, the freakin' Gas Police?  :shock:  :stickpoke:

Sorry, I'm just tired of your nit-picking. I feel like every time I try to help another member with their problem, you are lurking over my shoulder, waiting to pounce on the slightest deviation from what YOU would say. You do it to other people too, and it's not conducive to the sharing of information on this board. You really need to loosen up and stop micro-managing every little word.

Too many of these threads are ending up like this one... not a very good impression on PhilS and other new members, is it?

It's getting to where it's just not worth the hassle.

:gatlin  :yesno:  :deadhorse:

Have a nice day!  :monkeymoon:  :banana:  :banana2:  :penguin:

PS you wanna know what the owner's manual says? Go buy your own B1250 and find out!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:25:56 PM »
:wtf: :headscratch: YOU asked if what you said was the same as what I said and all I did was reply.  :annoy:

Go ask fuel pros, seach the Net, or the dozens of octane threads that have been around since before you were here - or not. Then run whatever freakin' grade of fuel you want.

I don't really care.

:duh:  :taz:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »
As for PhilS' problem, diagnosing a noise we can't hear is tough. Since it appears to not be detonation, I would take it to a shop or trusted someone who is a good mechanic and have them give it a listen.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »
Your very first post in this thread started out with this little jab:

Then you proceeded to tell me how wrong I was by suggesting that PhilS run a tank of high test to see if that stopped the "ticking".

Sorry, you just can't see the forest for the trees. You're stuck on octane when I'm talking about how your constant arguing over every little detail keeps ruining these threads. I'm just not getting through.

But of course it's ALL MY FAULT. Red01 CAN DO NO WRONG.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Excuse me, I think I'm gonna down and fill up my bike with CAM2 now, just for the freakin' helluvit!  :bigok:

:evil1:    :burnout:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 03:37:26 PM »
As for PhilS' problem, diagnosing a noise we can't hear is tough. Since it appears to not be detonation, I would take it to a shop or trusted someone who is a good mechanic and have them give it a listen.

AGREED!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 04:04:06 PM »
Excuse me, I think I'm gonna down and fill up my bike with CAM2 now, just for the freakin' helluvit!  :bigok:

:evil1:    :burnout:

Don't forget to pick up some DOT 5.  :toocool:  :bikeflip:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)