Author Topic: New 1250 Engine Noise (and Octane revisited)  (Read 14971 times)

Offline PhilS

• Board Homesteader!
New 1250 Engine Noise (and Octane revisited)
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »
:shrug:

Guys:

I am new to this and did not mean to start an earthquake or insite a riot amongst y'all, but it would appear something like that is happening. Sorry for that....

The sound I'm getting is like what you hear when the throttle is relaxed all the back and it ticks as it hits it's stop. You can hear that sound it when the engine is off.

Now, imagine that tick randomly happening in low-mid rpms while cruising along. The Suzuki guys will deal with it when it goes in on 7/2......or I'll get really bent and demand the world or something.

As for the hard bags, good point on the painted versions. The guys at the shop said the same thing concerning the scuffing and such. I will now be going with the less expensive matte black versions in all three positions and saving about $49 million in the process.

Onward..... :motorsmile:
2007 Red Bandit 1250S (Morphed into a Sport Touring Model)

Offline treybrad

• Board Regular!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »
When you explain it like that.. mine does that too. It's only if I'm rolling on or off though... I think. It almost sounds like an electrical thing... I thought it was some kind of solenoid or relay "clicking" on and off for whatever reason.. I'll have to see if I can't narrow down where I think it's coming from.

Keep us posted.

trey
2007 Bandit 1250SA
Austin, TX

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 07:05:32 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Don't forget to pick up some DOT 5.

Yep! CAM 2 and DOT 5 and maybe some of those tassels for my handlebar ends!   :lol:

Then I'm comin' up there and burn your tail all over the Cascades till you cry UNCLE!

"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 07:21:23 PM »
Quote from: "PhilS"
:shrug:

Guys:

I am new to this and did not mean to start an earthquake or insite a riot amongst y'all, but it would appear something like that is happening. Sorry for that....

No,no, PhilS... It's nothing you did! I can't speak for Red but it is I who apologise to you for having to put up with this crap in your thread here. Someone just needs to loosen up a little, that's all.  :roll:

Quote from: "PhilS"
The sound I'm getting is like what you hear when the throttle is relaxed all the back and it ticks as it hits it's stop. You can hear that sound it when the engine is off.

Aaaaaaahhhhh...... now I get it. It does it with the engine off, and just randomly, like one "tick" at a time? NOT "tick-tick-tick" like a valve ticking then?

That should be easy to find. Does it do it with the key on but engine off? Or with the key off too?

The B1250 has secondary throttle plates... what you are hearing could be the solenoid that actuates them. That would be with the key on only, I would think.

If it does it with the key off, then it's most likely mechanical... just the linkage or the primary throttle plates, maybe.

You must have really good ears if you can hear that going down the road... all I can hear on mine is the wind!  :bandit:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 07:30:52 PM »
Hey PhilS

Based on what your saying, it may be a solenoid, so likely not a concern, once you find out what it is.

Any chance it is a loose cam chain noise? This would sound like a short clatter or metallic slap, and would mostly be noticable at idle. It is unlikely, but you could have a bad cam chain tensioner from the factory. Not likely, but get the dealer to confirm what you are hearing.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline PhilS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 08:13:40 PM »
Nope - I was describing a similar sound you hear with the engine off. The noise is definately between 2500 and 4500 no load and random tick. It almost does sound like a loose cam chain kicking about randomly under no load.

I understand last year's engine was different? If so, that would explain the dealership's blank stare, no knowledge of where the coolant filler was (under the seat), and how to adjust the seat. OY!!! I found the seat adjustment on my own on one of these bulletin boards.....higher is better.....for me that is. Great write up on the seat adjustment.

I will go back to the original dealer for the 600 mile as "poor setup issues" are not warranty and other shops will not deal with it for free. We'll see after 7/2.

BTW - I understand these threads and the poking back and forth is mostly in fun - it's all good.

Later,
2007 Red Bandit 1250S (Morphed into a Sport Touring Model)

Offline treybrad

• Board Regular!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 08:31:32 PM »
I don't want to steal the OP's post.. but mine sounds just like a single "click" when rolling on or off. The secondary throttle plates actuation sounds perfectly logical... especially since it seems to make the noise when I'm rolling on or off the throttle. I'll have to see where my noise is coming from...

trey
2007 Bandit 1250SA
Austin, TX

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 08:34:32 PM »
Yep, it's an all-new engine, first year out. We're all noobs when it comes to this motor.

Now that I understand a little better, I would venture a guess as to it being a solenoid.

The fuel injection system on this motor utilizes secondary throttle plates. They are like choke plates that are actuated by the ECU to control air flow into the throttle bodies. From what I understand, they work mostly in the mid-range, which would be between the 2500 to 4500 rpm you mentioned. They're supposed to eliminate "lean surge" at cruise, which is a problem in many EFI systems.

Now before anybody jumps me, I could be wrong about this, I haven't seen a shop manual for this bike. But my DL650 V-Strom had basically the same system, and I could hear the secondary solenoids clicking as you describe. The plates would change position as the throttle position changes. That's my guess, anyway.

Offline Frisk Fisk

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
Zenman and Red
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 08:34:03 AM »
I stopped visiting here because I got tired of all the one-upmanship and bickering going on, not to mention the F word stuff.  Last time, these  two were ganging up on CWO4 and now, on a return visit, I see that they're beating on each other.  Why do we have to pick through all this nonsense to get decent information?   I had some info to share on my finally broken in 1250S, but the Hell with it.  Now, as usual, Zen will have to get the last word in.  He probably yaks on his cell phone in supermarkets, too.  Goodbye all.
What do we exist for but to laugh at our neighbors and be made sport of in our turn? (Jane Austin)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Zenman and Red
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »
Quote from: "Frisk Fisk"
I stopped visiting here because I got tired of all the one-upmanship and bickering going on, not to mention the F word stuff.  Last time, these  two were ganging up on CWO4 and now, on a return visit, I see that they're beating on each other.  Why do we have to pick through all this nonsense to get decent information?   I had some info to share on my finally broken in 1250S, but the Hell with it.  Now, as usual, Zen will have to get the last word in.  He probably yaks on his cell phone in supermarkets, too.  Goodbye all.

Ah, Frisky, back to spew more sour grapes?

:cheese:

So are you and CWO having a good time PM'ing each other to talk about us behind our backs over on the "other" board?  :lol:

I remember when you got all bent out of shape because the "F" word was used ONCE in a poster, in response to CWO's bad behavior. You got all huffy and offended and complained you couldn't have your grandaughter view the site.

When you joined, you must have ignored the board "Rules and Guidelines" where it specifically states:

"This board is targeted toward ADULTS, and may have ADULT CONTENT!
As such, we require you to be OVER 18 to participate. You are also responsible for adherence to whatever local laws or regulations pertain the the internet.

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=1451

That was the ONLY time I've EVER seen the "F" word posted here, and after you complained, Red01 even apologized and removed the poster. But that wasn't enough for you. You made your snap judgement after being here a week with only 30 posts, declared the board unfit, and went away in a hissy fit.

Now here you are back, apparently just to complain some more.  :roll:

You know, I don't remember ever being anything but friendly, cordial, respectful and helpful towards you. I gave you a warm welcome and thanked you when you posted the info on your windshield. I even PM'ed you once and offered to help you post pics, since you seemed like you were having trouble with it. I didn't do it publicly, to avoid embarrassing you. But you never responded.

Now you have this bad attitude towards me because of what went on with CWO? That had nothing to do with you. If you're going to condemn me for problems I have with someone else entirely, I guess your friendship and respect isn't worth much.

Adios, Frisky... hope you and CWO find your perfect world, where there's no "bad" words, and nobody "yaks on their cell phone in supermarkets".  :bandit:

P.S. I don't even own a cell phone.  :lol:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 12:09:59 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
Then I'm comin' up there and burn your tail all over the Cascades till you cry UNCLE!

Come on up!  :bigok: You can pitch a tent in my yard and I'll clear a spot in the garage for your bike to spend the night.  :motorsmile:

And I suppose I did jump the gun a little in my original response. Of course, there'd be nothing wrong with jumping from regular to premium if you got some detonation ping and then later tried midgrade if premium got rid of it - or stick with premium. I just hate to see people spending the money for more expensive higher octane fuel if they don't need to. Just part of the Scottish side of my family tree, I guess.  :wink:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 01:20:57 PM »

Come on up!  :bigok: You can pitch a tent in my yard and I'll clear a spot in the garage for your bike to spend the night.  :motorsmile:

Be careful what you offer!

I'd be happy to camp out in your back yard, burn steaks on your BBQ, park in your garage, use your tools, drink your beer, and raid your fridge at 2:00 AM... sounds like fun!  :lol:

And I suppose I did jump the gun a little in my original response. Of course, there'd be nothing wrong with jumping from regular to premium if you got some detonation ping and then later tried midgrade if premium got rid of it - or stick with premium. I just hate to see people spending the money for more expensive higher octane fuel if they don't need to.

Understood. No worries, mate.  :bigok:  

Just part of the Scottish side of my family tree, I guess.  :wink:

Well that explains a lot! I'm Scottish too... this is just the normal way that two Scots get along, aye?  :bandit:

When I come visit, you and me will have to find a rowdy bar and have some fun getting arrested! We'll compare scars in the drunk tank afterwards...   :singing:

Offline RedBandit1250S

• New user!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 06:24:47 PM »

The fuel injection system on this motor utilizes secondary throttle plates. They are like choke plates that are actuated by the ECU to control air flow into the throttle bodies. From what I understand, they work mostly in the mid-range, which would be between the 2500 to 4500 rpm you mentioned. They're supposed to eliminate "lean surge" at cruise, which is a problem in many EFI systems.

Now before anybody jumps me, I could be wrong about this, I haven't seen a shop manual for this bike. But my DL650 V-Strom had basically the same system, and I could hear the secondary solenoids clicking as you describe. The plates would change position as the throttle position changes. That's my guess, anyway.

You are correct, the noise you guys are hearing are the secondary butterfly valves closing.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 02:11:08 PM »
PS you wanna know what the owner's manual says? Go buy your own B1250 and find out!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol: I knew if I was patient enough, I'd find the answer to this without buying a B12.5. :tongue:
I just read Motorcycle Consumer News' article on the new 1250 yesterday and they mention in there that Suzuki calls for 87 octane (R+M/2) and that's what they ran in it with no ill effects.  :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 02:54:31 PM »
PS you wanna know what the owner's manual says? Go buy your own B1250 and find out!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:lol: I knew if I was patient enough, I'd find the answer to this without buying a B12.5. :tongue:
I just read Motorcycle Consumer News' article on the new 1250 yesterday and they mention in there that Suzuki calls for 87 octane (R+M/2) and that's what they ran in it with no ill effects.  :bandit:

Actually, it says a minimum of 87 octane.

In the interest of absolute, pinpoint accuracy, y'know...  :lol: