Author Topic: Oil Filter and Air Filter Recommendations  (Read 5974 times)

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Oil Filter and Air Filter Recommendations
« on: June 01, 2008, 11:58:18 PM »
Ok, I let the dealer do the 600 Mile change and maintenance, however I plan to do the rest.  However, before I get too close to NEEDING a filter, I'd like to know who's using what and the kind of service they've gotten.

I saw a couple of old threads (2006 as best I can tell) but in that time things could have changed.  I found a website with some cross sections, and testing of filters, and it looks like the PureOne from Purilator, and one other is recommended. 

I'm not trying to be cheap, I just don't want to pay 12 bucks for a crappy filter because it has a brand name on it.

The same for air filters.  Any thoughts?
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline Dink_1170

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Oil Filter and Air Filter Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 06:00:13 AM »
I only use genuine.Might pay more but I know I am getting good quality.

Dink
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care!!!
07 Bandit1250S - "Bonnie"
85 GSX1100EFF - "The Tractor"
82 GSX1100SZ - "Kitty"
82 GSX750SZ -"Lil Kitty"

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »
I also like the OEM oil filter.  Other good ones are NAPA & Purolator.

Stay away from Fram m/c oil filters.  They're junk.

You should also stay with the stock air filter.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »
+1 on the OEM set-up... I like the little "condom" that comes on the boxed oil filter.   :rofl:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »
Any reason in particular for the OEM Air or Oil filter, other than the "condom"? (others aren't that much better, others are not as good, others are more expensive, don't provide any more power / torgue etc.).

Warranty is not an issue with either, as the law will not allow the Manufacturers in my area to use that as an excuse as long as I can prove I followed stated schedules, and bought filters that met OEM specs.  I've heard good things about the Purolator Oil filters though, and they may be easy for me to get. 

That's the real kicker.  The local shop (not the dealer I bought the bike from) runs high on prices, and the dealer I bought the bike from is too far away for regular trips.  I may be able to get 3rd party stuff cheaper and quicker when I need it, but I don't want to risk hosing up the engine just to save a couple of bucks on a filter.
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:10:34 PM »
There's a website that cuts up and analyses motorcycle oil filters (I'm sure someone here has a link to it) and the Suzuki filter is the highest rated.  STP made one that was just as good... the SMO-18... for half the price, but they're scarce or non-existent these days it seems.  K&N has a good oil filter, but it's typically more expensive than the Suzuki oil filter... mostly because it has a nut on the end of it to make it easy to put on and remove.

Purolator or NAPA are both ranked decently, so you should be fine there.  In the review they find Fram motorcycle filters to be very much wanting in quality & construction, unlike their auto oil filters.

As far as air filters go, you don't have much choice on the matter since there's no other brands that cost less than the stock filter.

Check internet prices too.   You can find deals from online dealers, and if you order a few at a time, the shipping charges don't hurt so much.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:12:21 PM by PaulVS »

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:32:10 PM »
I don't mind ponying up the bucks at the dealership for the filters.... it keeps me on a first name basis with the parts guy and he's cut me some deals in the past by way of my support.   :trustme:  I can usually print out internet pricing on stuff and he'll get darn close to it when possible.  I do stay far away from the service side of the dealer.  :annoy:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »
Any reason in particular for the OEM Air or Oil filter

The Suzuki oil filter seems to be of decent quality, and not too pricy.

For the 2nd Gen, the hotshot tuners (Holeshot & Ivan's) got the most consistent and best results with the stock air filter, especially with a jet kit and slip-on.

But I think Holeshot recommends the K&N for the new 1250...
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline gunzip

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 11:46:32 AM »
Unfortunately ; Suzuki uses a proprietary/funky thread on their oil filters , so we are stuck with a limited selection of overpriced , mediocre quality  filters .     :roll:

Offline gunzip

• TURBO TYPER!

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:28:53 PM »
Well, for this (4K) oil change I stuck with the stock Filter, but I bought some Mobil 1 Synthetic oil (10W-40 for Bikes), MX-4T.  I guess the next question is, does the synthetic change the interval at all?  I would think it would extend the time between changes by at least 1 1/2 times. 

I see now what txbanditrydr meant by the "condom" on the filter.  That's just funny right there, I don't care who ya' are.

I picked up the filter from the local dealer for about 10 bucks after taxes, so it was like 9 something to start with.  Not bad I don't think.  Of course that's all I'd buy from them, prepackaged and shrink wrapped stuff. 
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
Well, for this (4K) oil change I stuck with the stock Filter, but I bought some Mobil 1 Synthetic oil (10W-40 for Bikes), MX-4T.  I guess the next question is, does the synthetic change the interval at all?  I would think it would extend the time between changes by at least 1 1/2 times. 

That's the whole problem with synth oils... I can't bring myself to alter the mileage intervals (which I change more often anyway) to take advantage of the supposed savings.

I see now what txbanditrydr meant by the "condom" on the filter.  That's just funny right there, I don't care who ya' are.

I thought you'd get a kick out of that.....  nice to know it's factory fresh and "protects" against STD's.....  (Small Tiny Debris...  :rofl:)

I picked up the filter from the local dealer for about 10 bucks after taxes, so it was like 9 something to start with. 

Yeah... good price and it can build good will with the dealership at some point.  I purchased some riding gloves from the dealer and he knocked off 20% when I asked if he could help me out a bit.  I find once you pay shipping on stuff it's not that much difference to go through the dealer anyway.  Of course, if they don't act like they appreciate my business they won't get any more from me - like I said earlier, the parts guy and I are on a first name basis... if I could just get him to remember the year model of my bike.   :duh: :annoy: :bandit:
'01 B600S ... sold

Offline vamacher

• New user!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 10:18:15 AM »
I put Mobil1 in mine at the 600 mile tune-up.  I plan to continue to run synthetic and change it at the recommended frequency.  I want the benifits of synthetic but I just can't bring myself to exceed the factory change intervals.
Regards,
Vince