Author Topic: Radiator leak, suggestions?  (Read 4621 times)

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
Radiator leak, suggestions?
« on: September 22, 2007, 05:18:25 AM »
Well I've had my 1250s for two months now and it seems that the radiator has sprung a vicious leak.

The bike fell on its right side a month ago (and many miles) and had worked fine and was no worse for wear but now it wont hold any coolant.  It looks like right side of the radiator is bent and is causing it somehow.

I don't think the warranty will cover it since you can tell its been bent, but I'm still going to talk to the service department.

My friend suggested using "liquid aluminum radiator" sealant or some such but I am VERY wary of putting that through such an awesome machine.

I wish my first post here could have been a happier one but oh well.

Any suggestions? should i just bite the bullet and replace it if the warranty doesn't ($500 for parts)

these bandits are like crack and are super addicting to ride and I don't know if I'll survive a week without it:)

Offline Roy

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 08:38:12 AM »
Remove it and take it to any local radiator shop. They can fix it cheaper than buying a new one. Aluminum radiators are very easy to repair.
'07 Bandit 1250S
'07 RM-Z450 RC edition
'06 GSX-R1000
'82 GS1000SZ Katana

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 02:08:39 PM »
awesome thanks for the suggestion!

Offline houndawg

• Board Regular!
Re: Radiator leak, suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:07:28 PM »
why not take it back to where ya bought it?
1979 gs1000  2007 1250 bandit

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Radiator leak, suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:28:36 AM »
The radiator was bent on the side and was apparently caused by the one time it went down on its side.  It had worked for a month after that so I didn't think there was a problem.  I took it to a radiator shop i use to seal the gas tanks of my older bikes and they fixed it real nice for $40.  Looks as good as new.  They also repainted it so I left the silver decorative guards of the ends as it looks much better solid black.  I didn't do that before as the area near the screw holes was unpainted and looked terrible.  I may end up repainting the guards and putting them back on but I doubt it.