Author Topic: Difference between restricted and unrestricted?  (Read 5763 times)

Offline MaxBandit

• Board Regular!
Difference between restricted and unrestricted?
« on: April 25, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »
My 2008 gsf650 k8 is restricted because of my drivers licence?

If I got restricter removed, what difference would it make to the bike?

Thanks

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Difference between restricted and unrestricted?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »
You'd have more power.

I assume you're in the UK, or some other country that requires new/young riders to be restricted to a certain horsepower rating.  De-restricting would give you all the OE power.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dhula

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:00:12 AM »
restricted = 33 hp (or thereabouts)
unrestricted = 80 hp (or thereabouts)

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »
You'll die in a ball of flaming glory, and people will stand up at your funeral and say you died doing something you loved.

Or at least that's what the government statisticians say, which is why they put restrictions on new riders and drivers ;)

Take it easy, go for another ride and practice emergency maneuvers, then sit on the couch and have a homebrew. You'll have full access soon enough, and then you'll be able to pucker your sphincter all you want.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
My 2008 gsf650 k8 is restricted because of my drivers licence?

If I got restricter removed, what difference would it make to the bike?

Thanks
It'd be alot faster and if your a novice rider i wouldnt reccommend the removal for a while. Once you do find out how it has been restricted most likely it will be CDI on your bike if so you'll need to buy a new one.

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »
You'll die in a ball of flaming glory, and people will stand up at your funeral and say you died doing something you loved.

Or at least that's what the government statisticians say, which is why they put restrictions on new riders and drivers ;)

Take it easy, go for another ride and practice emergency maneuvers, then sit on the couch and have a homebrew. You'll have full access soon enough, and then you'll be able to pucker your sphincter all you want.

Check with the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) to see where local classes are being given, then attend the rider training course. This may save your life.

No aspiring airplane pilot is allowed in a cockpit until after he's taken flight school classes.

If you have a Bandit of any description, believe me when I tell you that unprepared motorcycle riding is just as damn foolish as a jungle Pygmy taking the controls of a 747.

If you bought a "zoom-splat", well, the name says it all. All bets are off.