Author Topic: First service...loose bolts  (Read 4883 times)

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
First service...loose bolts
« on: July 29, 2007, 02:26:31 AM »
Spent the day doing the 600 mile service...took all day because I was tokin' on a Cuban cigar and my battle pug, Ranger, felt the need to help.  Any way, I digress.  The following were all under torque:
1. Muffler bolts
2. Front fork lower clamp bolts
3. Front axle pinch bolts
4. Handlebar holder set nuts
5. Cusion rod mounting nut.
6. The brake pedal was/is low, but I didn't adjust it because it feels comfortable where it's at.
7. I didn't get to any of the header nuts, yet...I guess I'm going to try the removal of the radiator mountings as suggested in another thread.
8.  Need to take some slack out of the chain, but didn't have a socket to fit the axle nut...going to Sears tomorrow (that should be dangerous $$$)
9. I adjusted the seat.  Thanks to Zenman for his pictorial on the subject.  I looked at the manual and there was no way I would have completed that task.  Zen, you should move that thread to a sticky or something...good job and thanks.  :clap:  By the way, I only raised the front to see if it will not make me feel as if I'm being thrown forward.

That's it.  Now I just need to figure out how to spend the $500 I told the wife I saved by doing it myself (she doesn't know it costs less than that!)

S

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Quick update.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 02:32:25 AM »
I didn't get a chance to tighten up the chain tension the other day.  Did it today.  Both chain adjuster lock-nuts were less than finger tight.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:18:57 AM »
How far under torque were the bolts you found loose? Just a little a or a lot? Dangerously loose?

I found my chain adjuster lock-nuts weren't real tight either. Not "finger loose" like yours, but they weren't very tight.

BTW, I added another 10/12mm open-end wrench to my tool kit just to hold the adjuster bolt with one wrench while tightening/loosening the lock-nut with the other.

Also if your out on the road and don't have breaker bars or torque wrenches handy, I found it easier to break loose the axle nut if you use the wrench and the slip-on extension (found in the tool kit), and step on it with your boot. Tightens it good that way too.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 02:15:11 AM »
I use a click-type torque wrench, so not sure of the torque of the nut when it started to move, but I wouldn't say they were tragically loose...none moved more than 1/8th of a turn.