Author Topic: Water in oil?  (Read 8790 times)

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« on: August 01, 2007, 12:44:53 AM »
In another thread, I mentioned I just completed the 600 mile service.  I went out tonight, ran the motor for a few minutes, and then checked the oil after 3 minutes.  It looks like the oil is maybe contaminated with water, but for sure the site glass looks milky in spots.

Thoughts?  I've only riden it a few miles beyond the oil change, so hopefully nothing too serious.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:09:06 AM »
If there is water in the oil in any significant amount, it will eventually settle down to the lowest point inside the engine if you leave it sit long enough. That would probably be in the drain plug area. If you have some extra clean oil, maybe drain a little and refill it, then check the oil that you drained out for any water.

It's possible it might just be condensation. Too early and too little to tell. I'd keep an eye on it and see if it gets any worse.

If it's a gasket or O-ring leak, there could be oil in the water, too. I'd check your coolant just in case.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:17:07 AM »
I'm worried about how it got there in the first place.  I did wash the bike, but no different than how I've done it before.  I'll check the coolant first thing...thanks.

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 02:19:19 AM »
Went out and looked again.  The oil looks only slightly off color, if at all.  Those small holes in the "thing" behind the window...on the two holes on the bottom of the glass, there appears to be discolored seepage coming up from them.  The coolant level in the reservoir is right at the bottom line.  I pulled the cap off, and from what I can see at that level (and the drips on the cap), it is clean and green.  I'll drain some oil tomorrow along with some radiator water from somewhere.

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »
Did the stealership change it? Take it right back and tell them of your concern.

If not, drain the oil and inspect it. New bikes can have problems. No reason to risk a motor.
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 11:41:49 AM »
If your coolant is clean that's a good sign.

If you drain about a half-cup of oil and then top off the bike. Put the drained oil in a clear glass container and let it sit. After 6-8 hours, if there's any water in the oil you should be able to see it in the bottom of the glass.

If it is just a tiny amount, it could be just condensation. If it's a teaspoon or more, I'd run it a few hundred miles and check again.

Two questions:

1. Where you live, does it get cold at night and hot in the day?

2. Do you wash your bike with a pressure-washer?
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 11:58:20 AM »
I changed the oil, so nothing to fault with a dealer.

I live in Oregon, and it gets cool at night and has been warm during the day.  I only used a garden hose, with no nozzle, to wash.  I had it on the center stand.  The next day I pulled it out of the garage to go to work.  I forgot something, so set it on the side stand.  When I came back, water was puddled up under the engine.  I pushed it back into the garage and nothing was dripping out.  I again put it on the side stand and more water came out.  It was clear water that appears to have collected in the radiator grill and sat there until enough angle allowed it to drain.  Not sure there's a connection to anything...

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 01:17:56 PM »
Quote from: "skyrider"

I live in Oregon, and it gets cool at night and has been warm during the day.

In that case it is possible that you could get some condensation, otherwise water droplets forming on the inside of the enging with temperature changes... just like in a cold beer bottle on a hot day.  :bandit:  

Quote from: "skyrider"

I only used a garden hose, with no nozzle, to wash.  I had it on the center stand.  The next day I pulled it out of the garage to go to work.  I forgot something, so set it on the side stand.  When I came back, water was puddled up under the engine.  I pushed it back into the garage and nothing was dripping out.  I again put it on the side stand and more water came out.  It was clear water that appears to have collected in the radiator grill and sat there until enough angle allowed it to drain.  Not sure there's a connection to anything...

Mine does the same thing... there's a place where the wash-water collects in the radiator housing when you wash it on the centerstand, then drains out when you put it on the side stand. I got a litle worried the first time I saw that too, but seeing the soap bubbles in the draining water, and the fact that it stopped after a short time, I realized it was just collecting in there. No worries!  :wink:

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 02:04:29 AM »
Completely changed the oil, again, rode it a bit and will check it all again in the morning.  On a related note, take a look at my "Maintenance Tip" thread.

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 12:36:56 AM »
Update:  It's back.  Yesterday, all was good...clean, golden, clear.  Today, more mily streaks coming up from bottom of glass.  It doesn't look like the milky color is mixing thoroughly in the oil.  The radiator reservoir level is the same.  Should I pull off the tank and look into the radiator...would the reservoir show signs of oil if there was some sort of catastrophe going on?

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 01:53:17 AM »
Yeah, looking into the radiator would be better than checking the reservoir, if there is oil in the coolant, it might not be circulating into the reservoir. But it would collect as a film on the top of the coolant in the radiator tank itself, and you should see any if it is present.

Also it's possible that water could leak into the oil but not vice-versa. If it's a leak where the water pressure would be greater than the oil pressure. A common place for leakage is the O-rings in the head gasket, or the gasket itself wasn't installed correctly at the factory.

And it's still very possible that it is just condensation.

One way to tell is to do a pressure test on your cooling system. Such a small leak may be hard to detect. You'd have to pump it up and leave it for awhile to see any drop in pressure.

Sky, you have to remember i'm just guessing here... I've never been inside the new B1250 motor, but I have encountered this problem in other water-cooled motorcycle engines, and a crapload of car engines. In my experience, with such a low-mile engine, it usually turns out to be an incorrectly installed O-ring or head gasket. Rarely is it a cracked head or cylinder casting in a fresh motor like yours.

And I keep thinking about the condensation thing too.  :roll:

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 03:25:14 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I think I'll get to the radiator and do one more oil change and see what happens.

Offline Roy

• TURBO TYPER!
Water in oil?
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 09:43:02 AM »
Are you sure that you are getting the engine up to temp. Your from oregon isn't there quite a bit of moisture up there in the air? I've noticed my bikes sometimes do this when we have a storm system in the area usually early fall or early springtime. If it was a head gasket it would be running hotter also to the boil over point. I doubt anything is wrong with your bike other than a moist climate causing this, I hope I am right. I would pull the tank and at least open the radiator camp to see if any oil residue is in the neck usally it will be if there is a problem. Does it mist any from the exhaust on warm up? any water vapor noticed? Good luck and keep us posted.
'07 Bandit 1250S
'07 RM-Z450 RC edition
'06 GSX-R1000
'82 GS1000SZ Katana

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 10:35:11 AM »
Quote from: "Roy"
Are you sure that you are getting the engine up to temp. Your from oregon isn't there quite a bit of moisture up there in the air? I've noticed my bikes sometimes do this when we have a storm system in the area usually early fall or early springtime. If it was a head gasket it would be running hotter also to the boil over point. I doubt anything is wrong with your bike other than a moist climate causing this, I hope I am right. I would pull the tank and at least open the radiator camp to see if any oil residue is in the neck usally it will be if there is a problem. Does it mist any from the exhaust on warm up? any water vapor noticed? Good luck and keep us posted.

Roy, I tend to agree with you. I keep thinking it's condensation. The thing is, I hate to tell Sky to not worry about it, because it is possible there is a leak somewhere, though you and I believe it is unlikely.

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
Water in oil?
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 03:11:41 PM »
Quote from: "Roy"
Are you sure that you are getting the engine up to temp.

Does it mist any from the exhaust on warm up? any water vapor noticed? Good luck and keep us posted.

When I noticed the issue yesterday, it was after I had riden home from work...an easy 5 mile ride.  Is that what you meant by up to temp before looking at the oil?

I have not noticed anything at all coming out of the pipe, no smells either.

When I looked at it this morning, after having sat for 18 hours, it looks like a 1/8-1/4" streak of milky stuff coming from the bottom of the site glass towards the top and centered...a vertical streak in the middle.  It doesn't reach the top, rather fads out.  The rest of the oil surrounding this streak is good and clear.  

Thanks for the help guys.