Author Topic: When to euthanize an old chain?  (Read 6536 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
When to euthanize an old chain?
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:26:41 PM »
About two months ago, the chain started getting clunky and I have adjusted it several times and it's still clunky.  Part of the problem is that it seems to have taut and slack places as you spin the back wheel.  It's really annoying when I am first starting from a stop...clunk clunk clunk until I am going fast enough to not hear it.  (Not that I believe it goes away, just that it's happening so fast, I can't notice it.  Also, earplugs help.)

So I pulled my records, and it seems the chain (DID ZVM2) has over 37,700 miles (and 3.5 years) on it.  I guess it's actually reached it's lifespan and should be replaced.  I'll probably go ahead and replace the sprockets, although they look pretty good, all things considered.

On a few web searches, I found relatively few specs for how long a chain should last, and 15K-20K was the only wearlife I could find.

First Question:  Anyone have any personal experiences with how long a chain lasts (for those who ride a little rough but don't do stunts/wheelies)?

Second Question:  Anyone have any experience/recommendatrions with non-OEM sprockets?  I remember when I last swapped it out that forum regulars recommend the OEM engine sprocket because it had a rubberized finish that made it quieter.  I found a British vendor that had DID chain and sprocket sets, but nothing on this side of the pond.

Unless somebody suggests any reason why to do otherwise, I will plan on ordering replacement parts soon, and then wait until I am out of town or otherwise not riding el Bandido to get it installed.

(PS:  I just spent a fun week in St. Louis on business...but rode el Bandido instead of driving/flying.  Nearly 900 miles round trip, and had a blast.  If anyone's curious about what kind of fun there is there, let me know, and I'll post it.)
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
Re: When to euthanize an old chain?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »
PPS:  FYI---I just replaced the rear brake pads.  They lasted 18.5K miles and just under 2 years.   They were Galfer 1054 and I replaced with the same.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »
I would replace it... IF you notice and hear it it's just time. I'd say you got REALLY good life out of it if it lasted the 37k miles of spirited driving.
Not sure what to advise on sprockets. I went with the vortex 520 conversion and went one down two up, I LOVE it. But it won't be good for chain life...
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Scubadvr

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »
I always replace chain and sprockets at the same time, and 37K sounds like you got your money's worth - mine are usually around 20-22K miles.  Can't recommend any for the Bandit, since I've only had mine for a month.  Oh, BTW, if anyone wants to know what there is to do around St. Louis, just ask - I live here!  Sorry to have missed you, Sven, but glad you chose to ride the Bandit instead of taking a flight or you cage!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:45:48 PM by Scubadvr »
sic biscuitus disintegratum

Eph 4:29

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 01:45:50 AM »
I like to ride my chain really tight and only get around 20,000km out of one (sprockets are good still)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:34:27 PM »
There are lots of different signs on when to change out the chain....  red dust (aka: rust), missing o-rings, very tight or kinked links, loose/tight spots as you rotate the wheel, overall length, excessive noise, etc.  Chains usually suffer gradual degration rather than a total massive failure under normal usage.  Often times you can still run the chain even after showing the symptoms above.

It's wise to change both sprockets when installing a new chain.  The counter sprocket will see more wear effects than the main with respect to hooking.  I have replaced a counter sprocket and kept running the same chain with good results but then counter sprockets are pretty cheap to begin with.

Chain life is really a matter of how much attention (clean & lube) you put into it.  You could do very little (shot of lube every 300-500 miles) and likely get 10-12k miles.  Toss in a regular cleaning and reach 18-20k miles pretty easily.  With the 37k miles I'd venture to say you are pretty good about regular lubes, cleanings and you also keep your chain tension on the loose side of spec - which is what I also do.  I am about to put my on my 3rd chain (OEM was #1) and managed 47k miles out of each, but I work at chain maintenance.

I have run aftermarket sprockets with not problems - I do stay away from the aluminum ones though.  I used to run the OEM counter sprocket exclusively until the rubber damper sheared off and had to replace it with an aftermarket one - no real difference for me and a lot cheaper. 

I'd give Rick a shout at Cogent Dynamics http://motocd.com/ and have him price up a complete set for ya.  High quality DID chain with sprocket set was competitively priced, shipped fast and you'll be giving some business to a great little company who also does some excellent suspension work.  Tell 'em I sent ya... or not.   :stickpoke:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:53:36 PM »
I have run aftermarket sprockets with not problems - I do stay away from the aluminum ones though...I'd give Rick a shout at Cogent Dynamics and have him price up a complete set...High quality DID chain with sprocket set

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations.  I want to get parts on order so I can get installed as soon as I get a mo'.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 05:54:36 PM »
I got approx. 40,000 kms (25,000 miles) out of my last set on the B6. Granted, it is not as hard on chains the the B12, but I also used a Regina chain/JT Sprocket KIT that was very reasonalby priced on Dennis Kirk. Regina chains are not normally as highly rated as some others, but I'm happy with 40 k.

The standard JT sprocket kit was just fine, in fact I just ordered another kit of the same.

Like you Sven, my worn chain now has tight and loose sections, and clatters a bit on take off.

The factory method to check wear is to measure the length of a set number of pins. My quick method is to hold the chain taut with my left foot, and pull the chain directly off the back of the rear sprocket. 1/2 tooth is completely worn out. 1/4 tooth and you have not much left. A new chain/sprocket combo will have zero movement.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 11:14:36 PM »
I have run aftermarket sprockets with no problems - I do stay away from the aluminum ones though.  I'd give Rick a shout at Cogent Dynamics and have him price up a complete set for ya.  High quality DID chain with sprocket set was competitively priced, shipped fast

Looks like they stock AFAM sprockets, which are anodized aluminum.   Do you recall what kind they sent you?

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »
Yup... AFAM it is... and mine were steel.  Did Cogent say they were aluminum???

Edit... the most recent rear sprocket I got from Cogent was supplied by Drive Systems - it's steel too.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 01:10:36 AM by txbanditrydr »
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
Yup... AFAM it is... and mine were steel.  Did Cogent say they were aluminum?

Their website said they they stocked aluminum AFAMs, but Joyce assured me they were steel, so based on your experience with them, I went ahead and placed an order.

Joyce also told me you are shipping your forks back to them for servicing.  (You have no secrets around here!)  That seems like an expensive route...do you have a second pair so the bike is usable while they are being serviced?

(She also said thanks for the referral.  You should be able to parley that into a discount.)

And finally...I figured out how to live with that clunk old chain until the new one comes:   earplugs.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:39:18 PM by Sven »

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 10:57:08 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:... good deal, Sven.  They are really good folks to work with - save me the lifesavers.   :trustme:

No spare forks but I'm in the middle of a maintenance cycle so the turn-around time will be good... in fact I just ordered some Spiegler brake/clutch lines from Cogent today since my OEM's are over 4 years old.

Earplugs work great.... my chain is (was) only noisy when I'm working on it.  BTW - the DID chain is awesome... laid the old one (47K miles) next to the new one and there was literally no stretch - pin to pin the entire length.  Now the rollers were another matter but I still had every o-ring (x-ring???) on the chain.  Pretty good stuff.
'01 B600S ... sold

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »
the DID chain is awesome... laid the old one (47K miles) next to the new one and there was literally no stretch.

47K?  So much for my thinking that getting almost 38K out of mine was (pardon the pun) a bit of a stretch!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »
the DID chain is awesome... laid the old one (47K miles) next to the new one and there was literally no stretch.

47K?  So much for my thinking that getting almost 38K out of mine was (pardon the pun) a bit of a stretch!

IIRC, that's with a chain oiler... they will last longer that way. :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bandit1250

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
It's time for a new chain.
Past Pleasures....all memories