Author Topic: Any good roads in the Houston area?  (Read 15020 times)

Offline 71rt

• Board Regular!
    • http://WWW.PJBELTZ.COM
Any good roads in the Houston area?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 09:12:40 PM »
Thanks. I'm getting tired of wearing the center of the tires out!
'97 Bandit 1200, '71 Charger R/T

www.pjbeltz.com

Offline aquavelvis

• Board Regular!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 10:34:02 PM »
:motorsmile:
I grew up in Houston and still love it for a lot of reasons, but moved to San Antonio in '84 for a) easier lifestyle, b) reduced traffic craziness and c) MUCH better and more accessible bike roads.  The Houston area's terrain is as you know, flat, and most roads in the nearby counties (forget Harris) are just paved over old rice field roads running at 90 degrees to each other.  That adds up to boring, unless you like to run full throttle between intersections or too-sharp turns.  However, here's one that I remember as being a lot of fun, and I hope it hasn't been ruined by the area's recent explosion of growth:

Guys I knew in early 80's who raced at College Station called this one "Racer Road."  Take I-10 west. Just before Sealy, look for highway 1458 that runs north to Stephen F Austin Park.  Landmark: there is a truck stop of some sort at that exit.  After 2 or 3 miles of some residential stuff through the town of San Felipe, it turns into 10-15 miles of very nice sweepers before ending in the town of Pattison at highway 359.  You can take 359 back down to I-10 for the return trip, or turn around and go back the opposite direction.  Not a lot of miles, but doing it over and over again is a good workout and good for testing yourself and the bike.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you purchase a copy of "The Roads of Texas" and scout out the Sam Houston and Davy Crockett National Forests north of Houston, as well as areas around Nacogdoches and Lufkin.  As in the Hill Country, however, watch out for the deer.

Good luck.
Scott
2000 B12, Silver

Offline 71rt

• Board Regular!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 09:02:20 AM »
Thanks for the input. The Suzuki dealership in Richmond told us about "Racer Road" so that's been one of ou main places to find some corners. We've hit several other places like north and west of Navasota that were interesting.

My wife was having the front tire on her Bandit 600 replaced and the guy at the dealership said that he knew she wasn't from around here.  When asked "why" he said because the front tire was worn from edge to edge.

Reality is setting in .... Oh, GOD, I see a cruiser in my future! (Depression!)

www.pjbeltz.com

Offline texlurch

• New user!
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 03:52:32 PM »
There are some decent roads out towards Tomball, and also North around Lake Livingston..
01 B12S, "slick silver". Muzzy Exhaust, homegrown jet kit

Offline Vee Dub Nut

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 05:24:11 PM »
check out 149.. runs northish out of Montgomery and ends up intersecting with 3090 out side of Richards..

Also.. 390 from 105 down into burton is pretty good. Go looking around for roads near lake summerville, its usually pretty nice over that way as well...

166 to the northeast of College Station is nice, but short..

159 from hwy 6 over to 105 is decent too..

Most of these are pretty far from houston except 149.. its the closest.. you could make a longer trip taking 149, 3090 into College Station then head off towards sommerville...

also check out www.twtex.com
Adam in College Station Texas

1996 Bandit 750s - SOLD!
1998 Bandit 1200s - SOLD!
2000 VW GTi GLX
1967 VW Beetle* slight modifictations

Offline 71rt

• Board Regular!
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 08:56:10 PM »
We've run 3090 and 390 which were fun. Now I get my GPS out and find roads with twists and turns. It appears that some of the roads run along property lines. I guess that's the only way to explain why they have 40 mph turns in the middle of no where.

www.pjbeltz.com

Offline aquavelvis

• Board Regular!
South / southwest of Katy
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 09:35:32 PM »
Since you're in Richmond, check out some of the roads between there and Katy, Brookshire, and Sealy.  

I rode those 22+ years ago when living in the area and they had a lot of those 40 mph 90 degree turns around property lines like you refer to.  Must've run around the old rice fields.  They may be no darned good any more but you might check 'em out.

Also, check further west of Big H and way south of I-10.  El Campo, Bay City, Van Vleck, Hungerford, Needville, etc.
Scott
2000 B12, Silver

Offline texlurch

• New user!
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 09:23:29 AM »
I found a nice one out off 290 west of town, but they are repaving it right now. When they get it done it should be sweet.
01 B12S, "slick silver". Muzzy Exhaust, homegrown jet kit

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 09:19:15 PM »
How much you want to bet these are all virus links?
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 04:01:01 AM »
Why don't you click on one and find out. lol
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!