Author Topic: ANZAC DAY  (Read 3461 times)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
ANZAC DAY
« on: April 24, 2006, 09:36:01 AM »
I hope everyone as a safe one.  

If your marching, keep your back straight, your head high and be proud, if your watching a parade, keep your back straight, your head high and be proud.

LEST WE FORGET.....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
ANZAC DAY
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 01:15:39 PM »
What is ANZAC Day?

From what I read in another thread, sounds like it's something like our Veterans Day or Memorial Day. Since I'm not familiar with your holidays, I'm trying to learn.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
ANZAC DAY
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:21:15 PM »
I think it's the aussie version of prozac day...

Jim

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
ANZAC DAY
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 04:48:09 AM »
Not funny James. :sad:

ANZAC

Australian New Zealand Army Corps.

Its the day we remember our fallen soldiers, and thank our surviving ones.

Now having said that, Oh what a wonderful day it was,
The colors of fall, as we call it autumn.
So it was 2 and a half hours mountain bike riding, followed by a couple of hours up in them there hills on the motorbikes. almost the perfect day. (Ref to future rant on people who ride, who's bank accounts far out ways ability. Grrr :duh: )
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
ANZAC DAY
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 07:36:17 AM »
I think ANZAC Day is like your Veterans or Memorial Day

It fell out of favour in the 70's and 80's - anti Vietnam etc.

But, now there are record crowds attending the dawn services, parades, and of course 2 up schools (We'll leave the lessons on 2 up for another day - suffice to say it's gambling with 2 coins (pennies to be precise).

I kind of slept in, so missed the dawn service, but I made the parade and while the crowds we're up, ofcourse the number of veterans was down.

After the parade I went home, washed the B12 for the first time since before the Once Bitten Rally in March.  Then I HAD to take it for a ride, you know just make sure water didn't get in to places it shouldn't.

Anyway, I headed out on to one of the local roads that I use on a regular basis.  This road is quite boring and can be infested with Cops.  However, today, I decided to explore one of the side roads.  Shyte I'm glad I did.  I found, no more than 13km from my driveway, a really really nice piece of road.

Ok, it's only 7km long, and goes absolutely no where, and is in fac a dead end. But in that 7km of pot hole free tarmac there are 26 corners ranging from 2 120km/h sweepers to 55km/h (signposted) S bends.  Very few houses, therefore very few cars, oh what fun....

So now I have somewhere really close to home where I can let of some steam, use up a bit more chicken strip, and be gone for no more than 45 minutes, depending on how many times I do it....... :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Perfect for those days when I can't be bothered to ride for an hour to get to 'gods road'....now I have NOWHERE ROAD - oh and I'm not going give any further description of where it is, just in case there's a local or two reading, I don't want the local squids spoiling my fun....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
ANZAC DAY
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 08:10:55 AM »
Sorry B6, poor attempt at a joke.

Didn't mean to make light of all those who have given themselves in the wars...had relatives who fought in both world wars and are gone forever.

Apologies!

Jim

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
ANZAC DAY
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 08:26:46 AM »
Its all cool Jim.

I am one of the worst ones here for putting my foot in my mouth.
No offence taken :wink:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
ANZAC DAY
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
:thanks: That's what I thought it was, but wasn't sure. :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline parraxis

• New user!
ANZAC DAY
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 03:17:46 AM »
Good post aussiebandit, thinks its good to remember next time were barreling down the highway that we have what we have today thanks to people who gave up a lot, not just the ones that died, but the ones that survived and carried the scars for the rest of thier life.