Author Topic: GSX250F (ACROSS)  (Read 5286 times)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« on: September 23, 2005, 07:09:54 AM »
G'day,

I was wondering if any of you know anything about the GSX250F, sold downunder as the X913 Across.  Any common problems, anything I should be looking for in particular.

I can get a '98 model for $2500, the average price is between $3500 (Trade) to $5500 (Private sale).

It's got 34,000km on it, just had the chain and sprockets and front brake pads done and has 10 months rego.

There is some obvious damage where it's fallen of the stand, purely cosmetic.  It rides well, a little under powered (I do ride a B12 so a lot of bikes feel under powered) but that's not a factor.  The bike is for my son to learn on.  He's 6'3" so it may be a bit of a sqeeze, but most learner legal road bikes will be.  

Ofcourse I'll be getting my trusty mechanic to give it the once over before I lay down my hard earned.  But any comments from you guys would be appriciated.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 09:26:07 AM »
Looks like a neat bike, Mick.
  I vaguely remember some Across riders visiting this board, since the engine is almost the same as the 250 bandit.
http://www.hyp4r.com/mct/across/across.htm
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 10:05:09 AM »
aussie ,....i think

a 1200 bandit has got a good following but i watsh and follow closley ther ones for sale,on internet sites and bikeshops and they definetley don't bolt out the door when resale time comes with some of them for sale for months on end and longer.

that may be a great little bike 'but i suspect it may not have the following of other models and it is coming up to be 8 years old,then 10 in 2 more years,

suzuki nz has been selling 250 gsx road bikes with nice fairings for 5995 brand new,and while i don't know the aussie bike market that well it sounds 'not cheap to me when i think if i look in the weerkend paper there will be some of these a year old for 3500,and i see them regularly at the damaged bike auctions regularly with fairing damage only written off by insurance co's as the cost of a few minor parts iis so expensive
for 1000 to 1500 bucks and they are bloody tidy and loads newer

but then without sounding a smart arse i guess 2500 isn't a hugh out of money if its going to do the job to outlay,but when time to move it on you have to find some one as practical as ourselves,and they seem to be few and far between'so taking this all into account i would want to give the current owner of that bike a seriously big kick in the goolies (NUTS) with the price remembering you can always come up in price but not down

.cheers slo coach

Offline MaccDaddy

• TURBO TYPER!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 11:40:52 AM »
hay aussie i don't know if you still need this info but this site is awesome for all your accross info http://au.geocities.com/ozcross250/maintenance.html
1992 BANDIT 250
1972 KZ 750 (AND NO I'M NOT GOING TO FINISH                  IT ANY TIME SOON!!!!!!)

DO YOU KNOW WHERE HE IS !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Offline victor55

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 05:19:10 AM »
Hey Mick, stop being a miserable miser - buy the guy a GN250.

NZ price is around $3300 + orc but the resale value is quite good and they are a great little bike to learn.

Yes I'm back :beers:
GSF1250SA

Marty

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 06:41:15 AM »
It's not a matter of being a miser, it's a matter of practicality.

The person who the bike is for is 6'3" and still growing, so a GN250 (by the way my fist bike) just won't be physically big enough, I struggled with it and I'm a mere 5'11".

The Across (GSX250F) has a great following, sold in good numbers and it's rare to see them on the market for long.

And that's what happened to me. Saw the bike Friday, checked with the Treasurer Friday night, rang the guy Saturday morning, and......it's goooooonnneee.

To slow to get the money, oh well, shyte happens.  The boy will have to wait a bit longer, besides he's got another 9 months before he can ride.

I'm sure I'll find another bargain.......
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 07:52:55 AM »
Great Bike full stop, for a 4 cylinder 250, its the pick of the bunch, and here is the reasons.
We as in Donna and I have had 2 of them.
Donna got hers as her learners bike.
I later got one as a courier bike for the cbd work.
Now being the pick of the bunch, with my involvement in the shop, and being freindly with a couple of the wrecking yards, I tell you Its rare as rocking horse shit to see a fzr250 a cbr 250 or a ninja 250 with more than 60,thousands k's on it with out having at least 1 major rebuild.
But I personally know of quite a few across's, including the 2 units we had, with well over 100 thousand k's still going strong.
Down falls. hmm not to many but the fuel tank is a bummer 12 litres, not good, if touring that little handbag of a fake fuel tank holds a 5 litre gerry can. You need it. Pretty easy to work on and maintain. Now I do beleive ya young fella is a tall one, sorry to say if he don't mind riding with his knees up around his ears, it could be a bit of a pain for any touring. Great motor with a little tweaking 185 kph can be seen, and touring at 120 to 140 no problem, just like a 2 stroke gotta keep them up in the rev range.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »
Size wise it's one of the bigger 250's.  He has sat on one, and it appeared to fit him a hellava lot better than the FZR/CBR 250's.  Basically he's going to struggle with any road 250.   A cruiser style bike (250 Virago) would probably fit him better, but, he simply doesn't want a cruiser.  His words, not mine, "Dad WTF do I want with a cruiser, I want to be able to go round corners"
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 09:12:30 AM »
Quote from: "aussiebandit"
 His words, not mine, "Dad WTF do I want with a cruiser, I want to be able to go round corners"

:toofunny:  :lol:  :toofunny:  :lol:  :toofunny:  :lol:  :toofunny:

I can see he's gonna piss off some members of the redbacks. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline victor55

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 08:19:01 PM »
Geeez Mick - 6'3" what on earth do you feed him? :wink:
What position does he play in his footy team?
GSF1250SA

Marty

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 07:03:35 AM »
Hey Mick, was talking to Mike from OCD racing in Oakleigh, he has a purple, and black one in the shop for sale now. I am going to the shop tomorrow night, will have a look and send you all the details. He did say it was a good one, all roadworthy, new tyres etc. Its the later model grey top engine, not as quick as the early black top engine, but should last longer. :grin:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 07:49:15 AM »
Geeez Mick - 6'3" what on earth do you feed him?  
What position does he play in his footy team?

He'll just about eat anything that doesn't run off his plate, even then he'll try and chase it.

As for Footy, he's actually a Soccer player - and if you hadn't guessed - a Goal Keeper - although he did play some games on the field, scored 8 goals for the season - sorry proud dad syndrome.

And, yes Mick, he will piss some of the Redbacks off, infact he's already managed that - mentioned something to a ZX10R rider about the size of his 'chicken strips' compared to the size of his balls.

As for his own pride and joy - unless it's under 3 grand it's too rich for my blood at the moment, but thanks for looking.  I'm actually trying to convince him that a GS450/500 or XJ550/650 or a ZR550 would be better options - cheaper than a 250 to buy too - harder to sell though - but by the time he's finished with it there probably won't be much left.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 07:47:31 AM »
I checked it out mate, its a pearler, but the price is a staggering 4.8 gorillas. Mind you its worth every cent. totally orginal 1 lady owner, and low k's.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 09:33:34 AM »
totally orginal 1 lady owner, and low k's

I love it when I see that in adds.  I think 1 of 4 things

1. It's been ridden really softly cause she's only a girl,
2. It's been dropped 'cause she's only a girl, or
3. It's been ridden pretty hard 'cause she CAN ride.
4. It's been ridden pretty hard and dropped because she's trying to hard.

1's not a problem, 3 is not a problem providing it's been maintained. But 2 and 4, forget it.

Thanks. but it's to rich for my blood at the moment.  But, I just got of the phone with my 'sis and they're thinking of getting an Across, or similar, for commuting.  That way they don't put 'shitty' miles on either the Nomad or VTR1000.  By the why the VTR1000 is my sisters bike, she fits into catergory 3.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
GSX250F (ACROSS)
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 07:39:54 PM »
Quote from: "aussiebandit"
totally orginal 1 lady owner, and low k's

I love it when I see that in adds.  I think 1 of 4 things

1. It's been ridden really softly cause she's only a girl,
2. It's been dropped 'cause she's only a girl, or
3. It's been ridden pretty hard 'cause she CAN ride.
4. It's been ridden pretty hard and dropped because she's trying to hard.

1's not a problem, 3 is not a problem providing it's been maintained. But 2 and 4, forget it.

Thanks. but it's to rich for my blood at the moment.  But, I just got of the phone with my 'sis and they're thinking of getting an Across, or similar, for commuting.  That way they don't put 'shitty' miles on either the Nomad or VTR1000.  By the why the VTR1000 is my sisters bike, she fits into catergory 3.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
1 she is a stad soft, but she lives down where you came from, well a little bit out of town. Pt Lonsdale, so it sees more of the open road, than just city stop start stop start. She's a late bloomer you could say, now I'm guessing here so I could lose my balls in saying this, she's in her mid to late 30's
2 if it has, she done a pretty good job of covering it up.
3 dont know I would say she's a good rider, she now rides an R6
4 I dont think anyone would or could call her a try hard.

But, a bit rich as you said, as I said , as Donna said, as Mike said from OCD. But for the condition it's in, it will more than likely sell for the 4.8 gorillas she wants for it.