Author Topic: How good is he.  (Read 5492 times)

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
How good is he.
« on: April 03, 2005, 06:56:44 AM »
What an effort, Troy boy on a suzuki. Could I possibly lay a bet now, aside from hurting himself Troy boys is going to be WSBK champ again. :blahblah:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How good is he.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 09:22:38 AM »
At this stage the only bloke who even looks like getting close is his team mate.

However, I wouldn't count my chickens....remember what happened to Troy Bayliss after Colin got sick of coming second....but then again it wasn't so bad Colin Edwards is half Aussie.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How good is he.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 06:57:20 AM »
Hey Mick, here's some pics, I hope

AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How good is he.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 06:58:23 AM »
Hey Mick, here's some pics, I hope

AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
How good is he.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 08:55:38 PM »
Another Suzuki mounted Aussie doin real well, is Mat Mladin. With an unprecidented 5 US Superbike Championships already under his belt, he started this year off well with the Superbike win at Daytona for the season opener.

:beers:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How good is he.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 06:55:14 AM »
It's a shame he won't go back into the International scene...he's having too much fun beating yanks...besides I'm pretty sure he's getting more money than he would in Europe.

The only problem with Matt is that we don't get to see the US racing here on a regular basis.  Sometimes you can jag it on pay.  Otherwise it's just a matter of reading the bike mags.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline rorym

• TURBO TYPER!
How good is he.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 08:51:18 PM »
The interesting thing is both of them struggled in 500GP/MOTO GP.Dont know what to read into that except Doohan and Rossi are aliens from another higher plain motorcycle racing planet. And Biaggi is just a plain alien.
Rory
The Older I get, The Faster I used to Be.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How good is he.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 08:10:09 AM »
Dont know what to read into that except Doohan and Rossi are aliens from another higher plain motorcycle racing planet. And Biaggi is just a plain alien.

The others didn't have Jeremy Burgess in their team.  I really believe that if not for JB the Yamaha wouldn't be quite so good.  Lets face it, the first thing JB had Yamaha do was change the firing order to make it a behave more like a V than an In Line.

Put Rossi on the Suzuki or the KTM/KR bike, without JB, and see what he does.  Then again, give JB either bike and a blank cheque and watch either win the championship.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline rorym

• TURBO TYPER!
How good is he.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 08:28:53 AM »
Mmm. Mate big call, having worked with Gardner, Magee , Dowson, Doohan, Willing x 3, Hansford,Crosby,Sheene,Feehney, Hailwood, etc etc, ex Bell Hemets, Pirelli, Dunlop,I think you need a rider b4 you need a good engineer. Just my 2c worth.
R
P.S. I can add 30 more great riders but I dont want to bore to many people.Campbell,A.J., Hiscock x 2,Pero,G.Morris, Rusty,John Pace, Vaughan Coburn,The Sayle bros,Boulden,john Woodley, I could go on but I wont. Kel Carruthers was Kenny's man too (in 78 the Yamaha was a pile of dog crap), but guys like Uncini,Rainey,Spencer, Ballington, Hartog,Ferrari and Schwantz rode around shit bikes to win world titles or races so that negates the engineer theory.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How good is he.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 09:00:26 AM »
I agree, it is a big call, but you've got to admit that since the likes of
Mike 'the bike' Hailwood, Barry Sheene, Dowsen, Magee et el, GP bikes have come along way.  With the current MOTOGP bikes it's getting to the stage where it's almost as much about the technology as it is about the rider.  And when I say technology, I don't just mean fancy electronics, I'm talking about frame design, materials, tyres etc.

When I was a lad I dreamt of owning and registering for road use an RG500, it was possible, highly unlikely, but possible.  Now there is no way you could register a MOTOGP bike - that'd be like registering an F1 car.

Lets take a look at the WSBK.  Before they changed the rules the only way to win the championship was to be on a Factory Ducati with David Tardotsi (sic) in your pit  running Michelin tyres, or at best a L Twin Honda on Michelin tyres. It was getting to be more about the bike and its technology than who was actually riding it.  Now they've made everyone run on the far less developed Pirelli rubber, and allowed a level playing field with engine capacity the poor old Ducati's don't have it all their own way.  We've got a Suzuki well on the way to winning the championship for the first time, and the Honda's (which aren't full factory) are giving it a good show as well.  The only bike left behind these days is the poor old Foggy Pertronas, which is around 100cc down on capacity.  Now WSBK is about the rider not so much the bike.

Granted Rossi is a freak, and I have no doubt that a REAL champion can win under almost any circumstance, but lets face it, you will always see the best rider with the best bike and the best crew winning the races.   That is ofcourse unless, like Barry, you upset the Japaneese then it's of to privateer land you go.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
How good is he.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 09:03:17 AM »
Oh and by the way, welcome to the board.   :welcome:

And, without making us feel any colder, hows the weather in sunny Queensland.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline rorym

• TURBO TYPER!
How good is he.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 09:11:00 AM »
A SHITTY max of 24 today and a min of 13. My mate tells me it snowed in Melb on Friday last week, I told him thats why I live in Qld and you live in Melb! nough said.!!
Hailwood is still my fav, as you can see by my avatar, we half freighted him out for the Castrol 6 Hour 1978? I think, I am getting old.(Frank Matich/Bell Helmets) and I had to entertain him for a week. My "Hailwood" book still has on the inside cover "Rory, I DON'T love you!"  (It was a night in the Cross and we were SERIOUSLY pissed!) He rode a 750 Ducati around the field to lead all the 1000cc Jap stuff in the first hour then Jim Scaysbrook got on it and crashed it out trying to do Mike times. After all the years involved in m/c racing, those two weeks with "GOD" were my highlight. I will die a happy man.(Then there was the story of pig shooting with Gregg Hansford and Kenny Roberts on Greggs property at Thargomindah, 1000klms out in the outback, but that is another story!)
R

Offline rorym

• TURBO TYPER!
How good is he.
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 09:33:41 AM »
I miss them like all shit! Dennis Neil and Vaughan Coburn,Magee and Feehney and a few other and I  catch up at times but that was another era,thank christ no one had digital cameras back then or we might have all added 4 divorces each on top of what we already have! We worked hard and played hard.What I really miss is true production racing, no mods, think it out and win an endurance race. Warren Willing was the best at it, I learnt a lot of him, the guy is a JB /Carruthers genius. Thats why hes still doing it now for KTM with a fuel injected 2 stroke.8 out of 10 of all workers in the top 10 Moto GP teams are ANZACS. Thats has to say somethong. When Kenny R was here thinking of starting a 250cc GP training team at Eastern creek he told me if you can finish in the top 5 in any class in an Aussie M/C road race you are World Class. High praise from one of the greatest of our time.
R

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
How good is he.
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 06:25:07 AM »
Yeh like aussie bandit said  :welcome:
ya bloody bannana bender, 24 bloody degrees, now ya gonna tell me that was in the shade. :banghead:
Yes it bloody well snowed, not quite in melb but the outta burbs, and I was told on my rounds that it snowed on top of the rialto.

:btw:  you both missed the greatest rider of all times, other than me of course :monkeymoon: Joey Dunlop...... The TT King.
He did it on real roads, not like the sokey lahlah gp riders, oh its to wet oh theres not enough run off. Real riders on real bikes on real roads.
TT's sort the men from the boys.

:stickpoke:  Now that should serve as opening a bloody big can of worms. :grin:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :grin:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline rorym

• TURBO TYPER!
How good is he.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 06:45:15 AM »
Yeah Mick I know what you mean, it struck home as I walked the cemetery at IOM, and everytime I see Warren Willing limping around on one leg 2 inches shorter than the other, Real men. Sooner it is banned the better.
R