Author Topic: TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES  (Read 4252 times)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« on: December 21, 2005, 06:49:45 AM »
Mick, or anyone else in the Melbourne area, maybe you could help me out...

My sister bought a new VTR1000 from Top Gear not so long ago, and with less than 10,000km on it is starting to drip oil and fuel as well as a choke that turns itself off.

So my sister thinks (and not unreasonably) "oh well it's under warranty, I'll take it back and they'll fix"

Wrong....

So the help I'm requesting is can anybody recommend a decent, reputable bike repairer that can/will service a VTR 'by the book' so as not to void the warranty.

My sister lives in the Edithvale area...the only help I've been able to give her is to try Brighton Kawasaki....they seemed nice when we dropped last Feburary.  Janice (wife, treasurer and mother of my children) was looking at a Z750 and they offered to loan her a Helmet and gloves so she could take it for a test ride....this was after we'd exlplained that we're from NSW and we were just 'killing time' before a wedding.

Any help would be appreciated
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 07:19:25 AM »
ouch thats gotta hurt....... Bloody Honda, hey look I can say it now, that there isn't one in the stable.
Why is there no warranty?
Or is this Honda, being Honda.
Quick too stand up to say we make the best
But slow to stand by the crap they sell.
Doll it up and sell it before, it costs more than its worth.
Buy the Z awesome bike, handles stops and goes, realiable.
If Donna didn't love the B6 so much I'm sure she would be lining up for one. Ok she's down a few horses over the z,
FOR NOW
Next Winters, project B6
Pink paint job,
130hp 750 motor swap
and one of them ubute pommie braced swingarms  
electromoulded wheels, engine covers, etc.
USD front end.
Now if I could only convince her not to paint it pink.
With all them goodies I will want to ride it too, well maybe not if it's pink. :sad:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 07:36:21 PM »
Did she park next to a Harley and catch whatever it is that plagues them?  :banana:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 05:39:52 AM »
No, no parking next to Hardly's, besides she goes to quick for them.  The thing that pisses her off, is this is her 3rd Honda (2nd VTR1000) and it's the only one that's given her a problem.

It's definately in Warranty, not even 6 months old....I think it's more Top Gear than Honda themselves.  The Treasurer sent her an email suggesting what the problem may be (my Mrs used to be in the trade) and suggested that my sister by passes the dealer and goes straight to Honda.

But, my poor sister still needs a reliable mechanic to do the servicing etc.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 05:46:21 AM »
She could try Mike at OCD racing if she don't mind heading to Oakleigh

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 05:52:47 AM »
I'll let her know, thanks - oh you'll have to forgive me my knowledge of the Eastern side of Melbourne is limited - where's Oakliegh in relation to Edithvale.....I'm sure my sis' will know...but just in case...
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 01:41:30 AM »
Nth up warriagal rd may be 10 ks

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 06:28:21 AM »
aussie.....in nz we have got consumer protection by law,such as

consumer guarantees act, and

fair trading act

and to cut a long story short ,goods have to be

1..of merchantable quality,and fit for the purpose for which they were sold,and i would think that when push comes to shove it would be fair and reasonable tom expect a late model low mileage bike not to leak oil,and if it did it would clearly be a fault which should fairly be covered by warranty and the tosseres at the bike shop need to be told so nicely  as it would befair not to have this problem as it is not in keeping with its age or mileage

cheers and merry xmas    slo coach

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 01:49:39 AM »
Gday slo, long time no see. :beers:
Yeh we got them laws too.
But I'll think you will find the beef is between Honda Aust, and the motorcycle shop.
Having worked in the trade, Honda here in Aust, is a total pain in the butt to deal with, not with out a long drawn out pain in the ass shyte fight. I can understand why some bike shops now will have nothing to do with honda, or the people who own them, it has nothing to do with the poor people who bought hondas. Its Honda Aust, and their f*#*ed in the head attitude. Sad really, being one of the top, if the top selling motorcycle manufacture for many years.

Offline victor55

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 04:20:22 AM »
Hey Mick,

I had a CB400F in the UK years ago and from the day I took delivery, it had one hellova whine in the gear box (no it was not a pom hidiong in the gears). The dealer said it was normal (Oh yeah!) and suggested a run in period of 3 months.
I went straight to Honda UK. They were really receptive and not only did they have the whole engine stripped down and rebuilt, they also paid for  a hire bike for the 6 weeks, so I could continue to work.
So, FWIW see if the direct approach works and tell the dealer thats what is going to happen

Have a great Xmas
GSF1250SA

Marty

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 06:43:58 AM »
i don't want to stir it up,but we got a disputes tribunal here,and its organised by the courts as a cheap way to handle any dispute,and its run by little old ladies mosltly called referees,and this ones a no brainer.

the dispute about the bike leaking oil,which it shouldn't be,is between the retail customer and the bike shop,and it up to the bike shop to sort it out,the fact that the bike shop is going to try and get the HONDA IMPORTER to pay for it has nothing to do with the retail customer,it ain't the retail customers problem if the bike shop doesn't get reimbursed by the importer,who cares if they do or don't,the retail customer delt with the shop only when they purchased the bike and it would be fair and reasonable to expect that bike not to have unexpected maintenance at low mileage and trust me ,it depends how the customer puts their case to the shop as to how seriously they get taken.the referees in n.z would tell the shop to fix it if they thought the customer genuinly beleived this problem was't going to occur

i had a car yard here for 22 years and was always getting kicked by the  old referees for a lot less than oil leaks on vehicles 15 years old that had been around the clock twice.

cheers and happy new year,i'm going on holiday for 2 weeks...slo coach

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 12:03:39 AM »
The problem slo is, Ok the seller honours the warranty, and so they should, (in fairness to their customer) but then the seller/dealer then has to be paid for labour and parts by honda, and there is where the problem is. Hense  my previous statement. So the seller/dealer/retailer, is now out of pocket, for both parts and labour, now thats gotta suck, business cannot support this, margins are not that good. Courts oh yes good, another day lost in court, or tribunial, equals more down time, and lost productive time.
Seller/dealer/retailer gets screwed either way they turn, meanwhile customer, and Honda are happy as pigs in shyte.
My veiw, like I have tell ya, is F*#* Honda and anyone who looks like Honda. I honestly wonder how many smaller dealerships will still be dealing with Honda over the coming years. Its worse than a little private school boys club, and as for tech and service support, well thats another F*#*en joke alltogether. It's little wonder Rossi, told them to go take a flying F*#*. :banana:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 04:49:07 AM »
In this particular case it's not Honda, it is the dealer.  My sister got in touch with Honda, and they are now speaking with the dealer, hopefully there will be some news in the next week.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

Offline suziblue

• TURBO TYPER!
Topgear
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 08:28:52 AM »
TG has changed hands.The new Honda dealer is great and all about service.
Jack :sparkplug:
Grow old disgracefully

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
TOP GEAR MOTORCYCLES
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 09:40:53 PM »
My sis said that, and in fact the problems are now fixed -  the oil was nothing more than an ill fitted gasket and the choke was caused by a mechanic (and I use that term loosely) playing with stuff he shouldn't be.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12