Author Topic: Galfer SS front brake lines  (Read 3358 times)

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Galfer SS front brake lines
« on: November 30, 2005, 06:23:35 PM »
I just got a set of Galfer ss lines for the front (two lines from master). One of the lines is a little shorter and just doesn't reach. Any one have this problem with Galfer lines? I think I'm going to keep them and just lower the triple about an inch, I hope it will reach then! Any comments to make me feel better would be nice.

Also I read a post in FAQ about bleeding and the part I had trouble understanding was pulling the lever half way in and tieing it there. How do you pull it in that far after you bleed as much air out as you can. Do you just pull it in as far as you can? I see how some air may get trapped in the top, the bleeders are on the bottom.  Maybe I need to wait a few days for all the super tiny air bubbles to settle and maybe join and then bleed again. I haven't installed the lines yet just thinking things over.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 10:21:33 PM »
If you can't get 1/2, just get as much as you can. The idea is to put pressure in the lines to get the air in one spot.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 08:36:57 AM »
I had the same problem due to aftermarket handlebars. I contacted Galfer and they put me in touch with a company that sells custom length Galfer lines. I bought those and rEBAYed the other lines.

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:09:04 AM »
The shorter line is for the right caliper as it is closer to the master cylinder. I have aftermarket clip-ons, which are much lower than stock, so I had no problems with length on my Galfer lines.

You can raise the fork tubes in the triples as much as the stock bar will allow, it will make the bike steer quicker and help with you problem.

I never tie off the lever, just keep the master full while you pump/bleed the system. You will know when you really start pushing fluid as the master will deplete fluid quickly. Just make sure you keep it more than 1/4 full at all times. Rotate back and forth between front calipers several times and keep going until all air bubbles are gone.

Good Luck, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 06:53:48 AM »
:thanks:  I've dropped my front about 3/4 of an inch, seams to ride nice, I could drop more but I don't want to bottom on the speed bumps.
I haven't got to the lines yet. But thanks for posting. I'll let you know if I can fit them.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 09:58:06 AM »
I had this same problem with the Galfer. I double checked the part number and found my kit was for a different bike. The numbers were very close.

As for bleeding, I found that tapping the top union with the butt of a screwdriver while tapping on the lever very quickly will get rid of all the air. Works every time for me. Also move the bars to the point where the air can rise to the reservior and beware that tapping too hard will shoot that fluid all over your paint. Use plenty of covers as a precaution. Position should be bike on sidestand and bars turned left, if I remember right.
Marc/Atlanta
'99 B12