Author Topic: different subframes  (Read 3489 times)

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
different subframes
« on: September 09, 2005, 09:15:28 AM »
After my low side slide at the track,flopping over after I hit the grass bent my subframe a bit. The patched up rear body work does'nt line up right to put back on,so I put my R1 body on for the time being. But this winter I think I'll cut it off and switch to something else. The R1 tail mods,looked awsome,but I would like to keep it Suzuki. I was checking out the different possible donors on ebay. Actully I don't have the $ right now to buy anything,just window shopping. But either a gsx-r subframe or even a Busa. I figure the Busa subframe would probably give a bit of storage space under the seat,and the Bandit being plenty big enough that it should look pleasing to the eye.The gsxr would look sleeker and lighter. Also another thing to keep in mind, what ever subframe I deside to buy,I'll have to be able to find the seat and body work to match it. Any ideas or input on wich way to go would be helpfull. Thanks,Dan

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
different subframes
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 06:39:24 PM »
I haven't seen anyone put a Busa tail on a Bandit yet, but if you decide to give it a go, use the later Busa subframe made of steel, the earlier ones were aluminum and prone to breakinig if loaded (ie; passenger, luggage). I'm not sure what year they made the change, so you'd need to ask someone who knows more about the details of the Happy Bus than I do.

Unatec makes a GSXR tail that fits the Bandit and it was recently covered in another thread. Their stuff is available in the USA thru Streetfighters By Design
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ChuckD

• Board Regular!
    • http://Penguinlove.textamerica.com
SV650 tail
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:01:19 PM »
I did an SV650 tail, kept the stock subframe. A four inch chop and some supplemental bracing made it work.

Oh did I mention about 40 hours of fiberglass and filler work. The rider seat pan is completly hand fabricated. And the pillion seat had about a 3/8 inch gap so that was filled and smoothed. I used hardware cloth (1/4 chicken wire) to make the form for the side. I think it looks pretty well engineered (I said looks) When I decided to do this I wanted something that looked trick but not like a tail slapped on as an after thought. I dunno what do y'all think
When in doubt fighter it out!!!

1996 B6 Custom Tank and SV650S tail fairing. Streetfighterization in progress.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
different subframes
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 10:49:07 PM »
Looks good so far... what you gonna do for a seat cushion?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
different subframes
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 01:19:47 AM »
id mount a busa subframe
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol