Author Topic: 1g B12 City setup HELP?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Mini4x

• TURBO TYPER!
1g B12 City setup HELP?
« on: May 30, 2006, 10:50:53 AM »
I love my bandit but it's a little slow to turn.  I ride alot in the city (now) and I am on the fence about getting something a bit more city friendly, or trying to get the bandit a little more light on it's feet.  

Thoughts are, some frttn end upgrade, maybe even just new springs and drop the triple a little..  (clipons??)

Rear i dunno.. the Hayabusa shock sounds like a good idea but I don't want the height addition, I just reach the ground comfotably with the stock shock..

Any ideas?

Offline flipbandit

• Board Homesteader!
here's an idea.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 02:01:51 PM »
Get the wheels closer to each other.
Check your chain. See if u can adjust it still to move the rear wheel forward.
The idea here is if the wheels are closer to each other the bike will be quicker on the turns because of the bike will be shorter.

I just changed my chain and sprocket last month. I removed one link of my chain.  My rear wheel now is at the first line. It turns a lil quicker now.
(",)

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
1g B12 City setup HELP?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 01:15:34 AM »
Drop the front end about 3/4", you will not believe how much more 'flickable' and responsive the Bandit will become.
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 1g B12 City setup HELP?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:43:43 AM »
Quote from: Mini4x
I love my bandit but it's a little slow to turn.  I ride alot in the city (now) and I am on the fence about getting something a bit more city friendly, or trying to get the bandit a little more light on it's feet.  

Thoughts are, some frttn end upgrade, maybe even just new springs and drop the triple a little..  (clipons??)

Rear i dunno.. the Hayabusa shock sounds like a good idea but I don't want the height addition, I just reach the ground comfotably with the stock shock..

Any ideas?

Oh Geez! Try low-tech/cheap before you go to so much trouble and expense.  I have a '99 B12 and had the same trouble with general handling being slow and heavy. Decided to first try new tires, a different handlebar bend and raise the rear. (You could lower the front instead).

The stock bars were too narrow, low, and forward for me, so I installed the bar off a GSXR 1150 (about '86?). These bars are 2" wider, have 2" more rise and 2" more pullback. Whatever you do, DON'T install clipons! The steering will be TRUCKLIKE (don't ask).  Anyway, in traffic you want to sit up high so you can see ahead as far as possible. A racing tuck may look sexy, but in stop-and-go freeway traffic, it looks just plain stupid.  Wide bars give you a lot more leverage, and hence, lighter "flickable" steering.

I jacket up the preload on the rear shock to its maximum setting. This serves to make the front fork take a steeper angle and helps some more with "flickability". I considered raising the fork legs through the triple trees, but didn't feel I needed to after completing the other changes.

I also put on a set of Metzler MEZ4's (the stock Bridgestones were shot). I had to install a longer intermediate brake line in front. I think Metzler has come out with even better tires - the MEZ6's.

The work paid off bigtime because that old moose now handles like a big dirt bike and no longer "falls in" at low speeds. I've hit 135 with this setup and it's steady as a rock, but it's the low-speed riding that's completely different (easier, more enjoyable). Don't forget to pump up the tires to about 35 psi, front & rear. That helps a lot as well. It's hard to believe this is the same bike!

Herb 0

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
1g B12 City setup HELP?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 06:34:45 AM »
I dropped my front forks about 5-7mm.  If you do it too much, it may become unstable.  You would be surprised how a little drop can make such a difference.  If you do it, I would do small increments to find out what works for you.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
1g B12 City setup HELP?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »
10mm drop here with Honda 1100XX helibars.

Also plan to go with a 120/65 front (pilot power) when the current 208's are toast.

That will quicken up the steering in addition to a drop in the triples.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
1g B12 City setup HELP?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:45:24 PM »
I actually forgot about tires until I read the last post.  Tires can make a difference as well.  I switched to a Metzler Z6 on the front and right away, the bike felt more flickable than before.  So tires can make a difference as well.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Mini4x

• TURBO TYPER!
1g B12 City setup HELP?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 11:54:47 AM »
Quote from: solman
I actually forgot about tires until I read the last post.  Tires can make a difference as well.  I switched to a Metzler Z6 on the front and right away, the bike felt more flickable than before.  So tires can make a difference as well.

I run the Pilot Roads.. They helped a little.

Checked me rear shock, still had a few clicks up on the pre-load and I'll order me up some progressives, and drop my tree a teeny and let you know what makes me happy