Author Topic: 1gen 1200 rear shock swap! Help, please ;)  (Read 3528 times)

Offline El Bandito

• Board Homesteader!
1gen 1200 rear shock swap! Help, please ;)
« on: December 12, 2006, 11:52:21 PM »
Ok, I'm dead set.. I want to buy a (slightly) used rear shock from a Busa or Gsxr 750 or 1000 for my 1G 1200..

I know, I know.. aftermarket is better.. I'm broke, and need a marginal upgrade.

The question is, which one?
Big difference between them?

Will either of these shocks require less modification?
..And is the process "reversible" if I hate it?
(ie; if I hate it and decide to buy a new aftermarket unit)

any feedback is much appreciated guys.. I know you know the answers!

-
-some dreams do come true.

97 B12 SA (ABS)
Progressive 420 rear
Race Tech springs
Holeshot can
Stage 2
5˚ Ign. Advance
16 tooth front sprocket
MRA Vario screen
heated grips ;)
Corbin Gunfighter

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 01:05:32 AM »
Dude, did you not get the step by step instructions WITH pics I sent you on the Busa install? Follow those directions and if you don't like it, no harm -no foul, then a shock that is properly designed for the Bandit can be installed. It will raise the rear quite a bit, over 1.25". It will steer quicker and might feel twitchy in the corners. May need lowering links to bring the back to stock height.  

Pros-Cheap, adjustments are plenty. Some heavy weight guys love it. Yes better than the stock Bandit shock but what isn't. :wink:

Cons-spring weight for a heavier bike and has been known to be harsh with lighter riders. Requires minor grinding of shock and mount. For me, suspension always wanted to rebound too fast on hard deceleration no matter what setting.
A 89-92 Gixxer shock will bolt right in-no modifications. Depending on the model (GSXR750 or 1100) it came from will determine the spring rate. Both of which are designed for a much lighter bike with a lighter rider. Raises the rear about an inch. You will have an piggyback cylinder to mount under the seat or on the side rail.
Plus side-cheap to try and can be recharged and resprung for your weight(although it will cost nearly what a proper shock does)

Downside- those year gixxers are already worn out (15+yr old shock), spring weight designed for a 400lb bike instead of 540lb bike.

I say this as a fellow Bandit rider whom himself has tried everyone of these 'alternatives' and ended up spending more time AND money than just buying the proper shock. I now have the proper shock and thus is why I lecture. I did cheap out and go with the $415 Heavy Duty version of the Progressive instead of a $600 Penske. It can be revalved and rebuilt. It also has some residual resale if I get rid of the Bandit. I know, blasphemy.  

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT
You will find that if one these shocks work for you...it will show any and all downsides of how crappy the front suspension is! Be prepared to replace that as well, either new springs ($56) or better fork oil.
:soapbox:
97 1216 Big Bore, Gixxer intake, with
Holeshot commemorative figurine with kung fu grip, Red
12 volt Dewalt drill, Yellow,
Moen bathroom faucets, Chrome

Offline El Bandito

• Board Homesteader!
dude
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 01:19:23 AM »
dude,  I did get it,, thank you very much!!!
(i just posted this sort of simultaneously..)

The new thing is blasphemy.. i just can't do it..

i'm 175# and will be hauling lots of gear (loaded hard bags, camping gear etc.) on a big trip next year.. that's why I'm thinkin Busa..

thanks for all the info.. guess I got some deciding to do..
-some dreams do come true.

97 B12 SA (ABS)
Progressive 420 rear
Race Tech springs
Holeshot can
Stage 2
5˚ Ign. Advance
16 tooth front sprocket
MRA Vario screen
heated grips ;)
Corbin Gunfighter

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 01:24:33 AM »
My experience is that most of the people who like the mod, have second generation bikes. If you get the busa shock in make sure you do grind the linkage and not just shove it in there. You will never get the 1.5" of instant preload dialed out.

Be careful not to round the bolts and adjusting the preload will be a PIK.
Pain in the knuckles.

Good luck and email me if you got any more questions. :banana:

Offline Asphalt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:10:10 AM »
I just did the Busa shot mod today.  It is not all that bad, nor is doing the little bit of grinding required.  I think the hardest part was cutting the oval out in the the underside of my rea fender box.  I drilled a couple of hole and draped a rubber guard over that area so gunk doesn't happen to sling up near my air box. (I know the likelyhood of it happening is slim, but hey I am A/R right now with my mods).  I haven't had any problem with my preload adjustments, my roommate drives a Gixxer 1000 so I used her adjusting tool.  It rides great, and Kdeg is right...it will definitely exploit the front suspension.  I put the progressive springs in and changed the fork oil....all I have to say is SWEET!  I went with the recomendations for my wieght on the adjustments (200 pounds) and I only had to go 1 click each side.  I am glad I did this mod.  It was worth it, and the adjustability is second to none.
2006 Hayabusa....AKA (Bandit on Steriods)

Offline theroamr

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 05:29:07 PM »
kedeg_97B12 so you have the progressive shock for the riders above 240 lbs? Me to. Did you send yours in to re-build yet to Progressive? Just trying to get an idea of cost. I called them and got a price of up to $ 250.00. Mine still seems to work fine, but has alot of miles on it, upwords of 60, 000.
We don't need more sensitivity training, we need DE-sensitivity training. Too many people with skin so thin you can see their quivering, sensitive little bones just waiting to be offended.

Learn to take a punch!!!

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 05:35:03 PM »
Quote from: "theroamr"
kedeg_97B12 so you have the progressive shock for the riders above 240 lbs? Me to. Did you send yours in to re-build yet to Progressive? Just trying to get an idea of cost. I called them and got a price of up to $ 250.00. Mine still seems to work fine, but has alot of miles on it, upwords of 60, 000.

Yeah, I tried to PM you on this board or the other (MaxSuz) but they must have got lost.
I bought a new one last month. The paper work inside said that $180 IFIRC was the rebuild cost for revalving and recharging. It was dated 2003 though.

I think if I needed it rebuilt I would do it even at $250. The cheapest I found for the shock 420-1043 was $405 delivered at BikeBandit with my 6% AMA discount. They were backordered for weeks so I bought one from Dale for $425 delivered.

Offline theroamr

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 07:11:30 PM »
Thats what I was thinking, better to re-build it. I did find the regular progressive shock (1037) for $ 345.00 at M.A.W. Im about 220 lbs, so I was toying with the idea of selling my 1043 shock and getting a new 1037 to try to save money. Still not sure which way I'll go. Thanks.
We don't need more sensitivity training, we need DE-sensitivity training. Too many people with skin so thin you can see their quivering, sensitive little bones just waiting to be offended.

Learn to take a punch!!!

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 10:48:58 PM »
Quote from: "theroamr"
Thats what I was thinking, better to re-build it. I did find the regular progressive shock (1037) for $ 345.00 at M.A.W. Im about 220 lbs, so I was toying with the idea of selling my 1043 shock and getting a new 1037 to try to save money. Still not sure which way I'll go. Thanks.

You can get them for that at Bike Bandit without MAWs hidden charge/shipping BS. You also save 6% off the top for being a AMA member on EVERYTHING at BikeBandit. You will make up your yearly membership fee right away on the savings.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 07:11:20 AM »
My extra GSX-R shock is cheaper if you want to try it out.
          Dan