Author Topic: naked bandit  (Read 4944 times)

Offline redbandit12

• Board Homesteader!
naked bandit
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »
what year was the bandit offered as a naked bike? is the head light direct swap to the s model 1st gen? how about the 8" head light i think was on the gs1150e? don't want twin lights or the fly srceen. i would like to hear from others who have changed lights pros and cons  :idea:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: naked bandit
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 01:00:57 PM »
what year was the bandit offered as a naked bike?
The Bandits have always been available in naked form - and still are.  Just not all countries get the naked version every year.  In the US, the naked bike was only offered in the 2G years.

is the head light direct swap to the s model 1st gen? how about the 8" head light i think was on the gs1150e?
On the 1G bikes, it's simply a matter of removing the fairing, getting brackets to mount the headlight & blinkers and rerouting the excess wiring.  (Not so simple on the 2G, but still doable.) The naked bikes that commonly donate to naked conversions all use H4 bulbs, which is the same kind of bulb in the 1G "S" models.  Don't know about the 8" lamps, but see no reason why not, given the right bracketry.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline redbandit12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:40:12 PM »
i can find the round headlight at Ron A's but i can't find the brackets that hold it are they the same

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »
Holeshot has a kit, with simple brackets. The factory naked has inner brackets that fit on the upper fork tubes and then the triangular bracket for the headlight and turn signals.

Offline redbandit12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »
how do i find it on the micro fiche? all i can find is the head light bucket. was kinda hoping to find 8" head light  :grin:

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 01:50:41 AM »
And then you still need parts from this list:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0315/speedometer_gsf1200k1/speedometer_gsf1200k1.cfm?man=su&groupid=4720&parent=4690

How I converted: Met up with another member here (and max zuke), we made a swap of parts.  He had naked parts, wanted to go S model.  We traded parts.  Of particular attention:
You need to pull your ignition switch out of the "S" top triple tree and put it in the "K" model triple if you plan on running the factory gauges.  You will also need the bullets from the K model, along with the chrome rings on the face and the bracket that bolts up under the triple tree and onto the back of the gauges...Just look at the fiche for the part numbers.

Going S to Naked is easy if you're using OEM parts, it just takes some work.  The biggest headache is getting the wiring sorted.  I just traced everything back to the main loom/plug, cut if off there and rolled my own.  Since I'm running relays for both the high and low beams, the factory wiring was getting in the way.  You can mount relays on the tab where the PAIR used to be or down inside the frame where the fairing brackets used to bolt onto.

I have both the factory 7" headlamp and dual 5'" with H-4's installed.

If you plan on extended blasts down the freeway or doing anything over 100 miles a day, you'll want a windscreen of some sorts.  I'm still shopping around, trying to decide what I want but I'll tell ya, getting hit with cold air blasts at 6AM on the freeway ain't no fun  :shock:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 07:51:23 AM »
I converted my 97 B12 a couple of months ago so I could use a large windshield during the winter.  I got the headlight kit from  http://www.aztec8.com/index.html  Don't get me wrong I think that Holeshot is fantastic but Dale's headlight kit was a lot more money.  Anyway here's how it turned out...

FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
And then you still need parts from this list:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0315/speedometer_gsf1200k1/speedometer_gsf1200k1.cfm?man=su&groupid=4720&parent=4690

How I converted: Met up with another member here (and max zuke), we made a swap of parts.  He had naked parts, wanted to go S model.  We traded parts.  Of particular attention:
You need to pull your ignition switch out of the "S" top triple tree and put it in the "K" model triple if you plan on running the factory gauges.  You will also need the bullets from the K model, along with the chrome rings on the face and the bracket that bolts up under the triple tree and onto the back of the gauges...Just look at the fiche for the part numbers.

Going S to Naked is easy if you're using OEM parts, it just takes some work.  The biggest headache is getting the wiring sorted.  I just traced everything back to the main loom/plug, cut if off there and rolled my own.  Since I'm running relays for both the high and low beams, the factory wiring was getting in the way.  You can mount relays on the tab where the PAIR used to be or down inside the frame where the fairing brackets used to bolt onto.

I have both the factory 7" headlamp and dual 5'" with H-4's installed.

If you plan on extended blasts down the freeway or doing anything over 100 miles a day, you'll want a windscreen of some sorts.  I'm still shopping around, trying to decide what I want but I'll tell ya, getting hit with cold air blasts at 6AM on the freeway ain't no fun  :shock:

That's for a 2G... 1G bikes have the instruments mounted to the upper triple on both "S" & "N" models, and both use H4 headlamp bulbs, so the connector is the same - so the conversion is easier on the 1G.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 03:33:13 PM »
Here you go RedBandit12.  I took these pics of the brackets today after a 40 mile ride.  Man it was great to get out on the road for a while.  It's been a tough winter around here!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 10:55:35 PM »
Man! that setup looks like it would keep all the wind off you. So if the roads are clear I guess its possible to go out riding in pretty cold weather. The head light look fine and your right to look for better pricing, amazing how some just buy whats offered.

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 12:15:16 AM »
would like to hear from others who have changed lights pros and cons  :idea:

Light wise (1st gen), there isn't a whole lot of difference in output. Dropping the fairing, fairing brace and brackets does drop some weight off the front end (you will feel it immediately), and depending on your location, you'll could freeze your ass off riding this winter w/o the benefit of a fairing and windshield  :shrug:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline redbandit12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 09:38:56 AM »
my bandit doesn't like the cold nor does his owner like to ride in the cold well maybe my snowmobile but i haven't ridden that in 3 years either. im going more for the look then wind protection or weight savings. one thing i know about the bandit it sure does absorb lots of money lol i don't really care about that either 700 buck for the header 200 for the jet kit 600 for shock and springs 75 for cams and the list goes on................................................................. but i love it

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 11:09:53 AM »
I understand the desire for expression and looks, but effective function always has my respect, especially when looks are built in which is not always possible. If I were faced with stiff northern winter riding I would defiantly choose Pillage set up out of the group, unless there was something more functional on 2 wheels. Looks or no looks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:11:29 AM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 07:30:39 AM »
To me the "Plexiglass Queen" is beautiful, because it allows me to ride when it's real cold.  I realize that most probably think it's rediculous, and that's okay.  Not everyone want's the same thing from riding.  After all, if everyone wanted power, comfort and handling in one general all around bike, everyone would ride a Bandit, wouldn't they.  :wink: