Author Topic: A carb problem I found a way out of...Helpful hint.  (Read 2451 times)

Offline ArcticEd

• Board Homesteader!
A carb problem I found a way out of...Helpful hint.
« on: April 16, 2006, 12:50:40 AM »
I pulled the cabs off of my bike (03 1200n) tonight to do some jetting. When I got them off and flipped them over on my workbench, I was surprized and pleased (at first glance) too see that someone had already taken the plugs out to adjust the fuel screws.... The downside of it was that the stupid ^@^!&$$@*&^W*&%!^% also drilled through one of the plugs and trashed the top of one of the screws while he was at it ( it was bottomed in the hole and never backed out. That might be a big part of my lean popping when decelerating). After going on a rampage that would make a Drill Sergeant proud, I had to figure out what I was gonna do about it, or find myself face with the possibility of trying to find another carb.
I tried in vain to get it to turn with a multitude of little screwdrivers and picks. No such luck.  I then rummaged through my tool box until I found a set of pin drills (tiny drill bits) that I hadn't used in years. I popped out one of the other fuel screws to see just how much brass I had to work with, and then CAREFULLY drilled into the center of the affected screw (stopping every few seconds to check that the hole didn't get too deep and was as centered as possible). When I was as deep as I felt comfortable with, I tapped the square end of a rat tail chain saw file into the hole, and gingerly turned it with a small vice grips. When it was abut halfway out, the file started to slip in the soft brass, so I ground about 1/4 inch off of the end of the file's tapered end and tapped it in again. Finally, I got it out. I then filed the ragged end of the screw semi flat, and cut a new slot in it with a hacksaw. (If you ever have to do this, go slow....Brass is pretty soft, and you can screw up in mere seconds). I cleaned any burrs off the threads with an Exacto knife blade, replaced the spring, washer, and o-ring, and carefully threaded it back into the carb body til it bottomed out, and then backed it out to where I wanted it. WHEW !!!!!! Another bullet dodged !!!!!
When I bought the bike a few weeks ago, the seller told me (with pride, I might add..) that all service work was taken care of by his dealer. I would like to suggest that said dealer institute some kind of minimum IQ hiring policy in the service department, because anyone with half a brain would have tried to make this right rather than just throwing the bike back together and shipping it out the door.
At any rate, I thought I'd post this tidbit in the event that anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation, and I'll add this parting thought...... God must really love stupid people......Why else would he have made so many of them??????
Some people are like Slinkies.
They're really good for nothing.
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
shop
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 02:00:46 PM »
Most Cycle dealers employ a few trained "techs", but these guys are usually on the big jobs.  The rest are high school dropouts called assistant techs.  Ever get a boat worked on?  Its the same deal.  I've taken my boat in for various repairs and end up fixing more things they break.