Author Topic: Addendum to headlight sticky  (Read 2184 times)

Offline irishBandit

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Addendum to headlight sticky
« on: March 07, 2007, 11:54:50 AM »
Everyone, thanks for all the great ideas posted in the sticky. I decided to use the HIR lamps and the Eastern Beaver wiring upgrade, along with the necessary disassembly and cleanup of the headlight assembly. I did have 3 of the 4 screws that hold the low beam housing, loose and rattling around in the assembly. All screws were thread-locked back in. I also applied electrical tape to all places where parts touched. One thing I wanted to share. There was much discussion on the blockers as to whether or not to retain or remove them. I didn't like the low beam blocker in that when I would lean into a turn there was no light projected where the bike was heading. When I had the blocker removed, I noticed I could modify the blocker to eliminate that problem. What I did was I left about 3/4 inch in the middle of the blocker uncut. Then marked a lines at 45 degrees up on both sides to the outside of the blocker. I then used a dremel and cutoff wheel to notch out the 2 triangles. I didn't modify the high beam blocker. What this did was allow light to be projected thru the turns and really illuminates roadsigns well, and also does not blind cars directly in front of the bike. And note that both high and low blockers appear to be blocking the beam the wrong way. That is, the low blocker is mounted on the bottom of the housing. I took me a minute or two to understand that the 2 glass fisheye lenses invert the beam. I'm 100% happy with the mods. The light is bright and white. Hope this helps someone.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Addendum to headlight sticky
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:58:41 PM »
Quote from: "irishBandit"
And note that both high and low blockers appear to be blocking the beam the wrong way. That is, the low blocker is mounted on the bottom of the housing. I took me a minute or two to understand that the 2 glass fisheye lenses invert the beam. I'm 100% happy with the mods. The light is bright and white. Hope this helps someone.

LOL! Yup, those lenses work just like your eyeballs. Your eyes see everything upside-down, too. Your brain turns seen images rightside-up.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)