Author Topic: Another light thread  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
Another light thread
« on: March 14, 2006, 06:01:35 PM »
The other thread was getting way too long.
Has any one tried or heard of a double dual filliment set up? You know ...where 2 lights stay on all the time regardless of high beam/low beam. I think I may give this a shot. I figure if I take out the blockers and change to the appropriate light sockets....I can make this work.
  I find myself real invious of my brothers 05 R1 lights. That thing has 4 lights. You can go to Baja with that light set up...not on the R1 of coarse but you know what I mean.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Another light thread
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 06:51:07 PM »
I have a Bandit 400 with a Hornet 600 headlight. It's a round lamp with two sepperate reflectors and sepperate bulbs for low and high beam. I've added some electronics to have both lamps on when I switch to high beam providing 110 watts total and a fully illuminated road ahead :grin: Pretty easy to do.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Another light thread
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:23:27 AM »
If you're talking about a double filament bulb that'll fit into the projector housings of the 2G B6/12, I'm not aware of anything that'll fit. You may be able to modify the lights something like Bazza did and use housings that are designed for a double filament bulb.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline RowdyRed94

• Board Regular!
    • http://cabuhs.net/bandit.htm
Another light thread
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 04:23:34 PM »
It's been asked many times at many forums.  Good luck.

Offline FastGTOs

• TURBO TYPER!
The way it should have been
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 10:38:01 PM »
i have a 2004 Bandit1200s  and i had a shop near me do what you looking for if you are sitting on the bike the left light is low beam the right side is a double light thay had to do a little rewire and you have to make sure that the amp. or not to much for the wire.

Eddie

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Another light thread
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 03:40:42 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
If you're talking about a double filament bulb that'll fit into the projector housings of the 2G B6/12, I'm not aware of anything that'll fit. You may be able to modify the lights something like Bazza did and use housings that are designed for a double filament bulb.

You may be able to purchase two Hella High beam units. They take H-9 bulbs which are really just high beam bulbs, but I understand that H-9 to
H-11 bulbs are identicle bases. I am thinking one of these may be a dual filiment bulb but I have no idea for sure. (The high beam units fit nicely in the bug eye unit by the way, and when I got into my conversion, I thought about going this route). This is the only way I can think of doing a twin low/high combo. I warn you this is a pretty major job even if you're handy.

You would then have to purchase or build a new harness.

I would give Susqehanna a call to inquire about what dual filiment bulb would fit into the Hella high beam unit. (they are at the top of the page on the link I supplied below.

I went with a low beam/high beam combo, and you would not be accomplishing anything by running a dual filiment bulb in the low beam projector unit they sell, as the beam is projected with these not to blind other drivers. You would need to do this with two of their free form high beam units. I think it would work fine if you could find the right bulbs.

Here is their website:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Another light thread
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 03:31:10 AM »
By the way:

I inquired about the Hella units from Susqehanna and they informed me that a dual filament bulb of any kind can not be mounted in the Hella units.

They do sell a low/high combo HID unit but two will cost you about 1200 bucks. (Ouch)

The HID units look like this.