Author Topic: Any Big and Talls out there??  (Read 5709 times)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Any Big and Talls out there??
« on: May 31, 2006, 09:37:44 AM »
Ok.  Had the Bandit for 4000 clicks now and I'm loving her except for the fact that I'm part simian!  Nearly 6'4"  and feel not bad on the bike for 40 minutes but then after that I'm just not that comfortable.

I'm thinking gel layer on the seat plus raise it up 2".  It would flow into the pinion seat okay for looks and that would maybe straighten out the riding position a bit.

There's a guy near me that does wonders with seats for not a lot of $.

Handlebars have got to come up a tad as well.  But I don't think they should go back the way GENMARS does it.

Any tall guys out there done some mods and like 'em?

Offline jeffw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 11:34:41 PM »
Jim, I'm not as tall, (6'), but I installed Dale's riser, and it's basically just a 1 3/8" (?30MM?) spacer and bolt set with a new brake line.  Brought the bar up and back a bit and really improved the riding position for me.
05 GSF1200S HS risers, HS stage 1, HS Exhaust HS Backrest, Ventura Rack, Corbin Seat, Renntec Crash Bars, DDM HID 'Busa Shock, Racetech Fork Springs, Cogent Dynamics Fork Valves, Alaska Leather Seat Pad, Stebel Nautilus, Blue Sea Fuse Block, Gerbing Heated Liner
=^..^=

Offline rspector

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 11:58:48 AM »
i'm 6 4 285, I was having lower back paine and my hands kept falling asleep, I got a corbin seat took away any sore ass and back pains purchased a 10 dollar throttle rocker on ebay and have not had a problem. Full days of riding with no pain at all, I think the seat really makes the diff, pricey but more then worth it

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 06:48:22 PM »
Do you have a fairing on your bike?  If so, that could be part of the problem.  I am 6'7" and 235 and my lower back is not good.  I solved the long distance comfort problem on my naked 2002 by installing some lower "superbike" bend tubular bars. Seat and footpegs are stock.  It is now very comfortable for long rides.  I find that faired bikes do not provide the "air cushion" that I need to support my torso and take the pressure off my wrists, butt and lower back.  I hate faired bikes for that reason.  They kill my wrists and lower back no matter what bars I try.  Sitting up places too much weight on my butt and lower back.  If your bike is a naked model, try lower bars to take the weight off your wrists, butt, and lower back.  Higher bars feel comfortable at first but I find they don't work for me for longer rides.  If your bike has a fairing I don't know what you can do short of taking it off.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 06:41:10 AM »
Thanks for the posts, guys.  I'm seeing a pattern here.  One other question to throw out - I really started to check my 'positioning' as I rode and I realized my hands, wrists and forearms are basically 'tense' all the time, as if I were lifting weights, or something.

I'm fairly new to this game - should my hands and wrists be totally relaxed when I ride?  I tried to do that and it seems to be alright.  I mean, if you're just cruising along on a nice straight road at 70 mph, you don't really have to be 'tense' in your forearms, wrists and hands, do you?

thanks again.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 09:00:52 AM »
OK, nobody should want MY riding tips, but I've found that it's like the song:  Hold on loosely, but don't let go.

As much as I know it's not the "correct" thing to say, I usually ride better after a beer or to, or after I've been riding for an hour or so, because I am less stiff and I am more inclined to just go with the bike...sit less uprright, just looser and ready to trust the bike.

Another example:  when I am riding in gusty crosswinds, if I just go ahead and let them hit and when the bike leans a bit or moves aside a bit, let it happen and not fight it.  If you fight it, you end up stiff and tired very quickly.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 09:01:34 AM »
If you can relax and reduce the effort needed to ride, you can ride longer in greater comfort and with greater control.  Moving around a bit on the seat saves the butt from "butt burn" brought about when circulation is restricted.  Keeping the balls of your feet on the pegs allows you to "post" like a horseman to get up off the seat, or at least lighten the load on your butt and your lower back every few minutes.  Holding the bars with fingertips every few minutes will allow hands and forearms to relax.  Most importantly for me is going fast enough (65 - 75 MPH is ideal) to provide an air cushion for my torso to rest upon.  That takes almost all load off my wrists and lower back and prevents the neck fatigue that sometimes happens at slower speeds or on a bike with a fairing.  Also, wear riding gear that will not cause "flapping" or billow out like a sail.  Both situations add to fatigue.  I use either an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit of Firstgear Meshtex jacket and pants for super comfort depending upon temperature.  Lastly, a good full face helmet that fits snugly but not too tight and foam earplugs to kill the wind noise complete the fatigue-avoidance package.  Hope this helps.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 09:09:54 AM »
Sven,  You are 100% right when you say "hold on loosely but don't let go"!  I understand about relaxation and how a relaxed state of mind can help but as they say "with booze you lose".  Ride fast and stay safe.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit

Offline WabashMX5

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 10:22:27 AM »
Yeah, learning to relax makes a huge difference to your fatigue levels.  (I guess semi-truck gusts during Interstate riding on my Ninja 250 back in the day forced me to learn it as a survival skill!)

I rarely feel the need for a "death grip" on anything, except maybe my knees around the tank.  If I feel myself grabbing the bars too hard, I take it as a sign that I either need a break, or that I'm starting to exceed my own abilities and need to chill out.

And though I'm not a big guy, I'm a bit on the tall side (6'1"), and the fairing on my B12S puts the wind right in my upper torso, perfect to help prop me up.  Working things like that to your advantage helps a lot, too -- again, just letting yourself relax and letting physics do some of the work for you.
'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'91 VW Jetta Carat
'94 Mazda Miata

'03 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
'85 Kawasaki 454LTD

Five vehicles for two drivers?  Sounds about right to me....

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 02:36:40 PM »
Quote from: jbrough7
Thanks for the posts, guys.  I'm seeing a pattern here.  One other question to throw out - I really started to check my 'positioning' as I rode and I realized my hands, wrists and forearms are basically 'tense' all the time, as if I were lifting weights, or something.

I'm fairly new to this game - should my hands and wrists be totally relaxed when I ride?  I tried to do that and it seems to be alright.  I mean, if you're just cruising along on a nice straight road at 70 mph, you don't really have to be 'tense' in your forearms, wrists and hands, do you?

thanks again.

You might want to ride this bike a bit longer before changing the position of the bars. Sounds to me like your not balancing your weight correctly. That could cause the uncomfortable ride. You should be gripping the bike with your lower half,the inside of your legs and knee. This will take the weight off your hands and might help with the back pain. The nice part oif this bike is when uncomfortable I can lay on the tank, sit all the way up, halfway, scoot up/back on the seat etc.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 05:12:40 PM »
Quote from: Dave 02 1200
Sven,  You are 100% right when you say "hold on loosely but don't let go"!  I understand about relaxation and how a relaxed state of mind can help but as they say "with booze you lose".  Ride fast and stay safe.

I knew that would be the un_PC thing to say, but I wanted to be honest.  On the other hand, I didn't say after a six-pack, I said one or two beers.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 07:31:13 AM »
I found that "changing the position of the bars", rotate them down or up to fit your grip was the answer for me.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline Dexter

• Board Homesteader!
Big and tall here
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 04:12:01 PM »
Hey guys. I am 6'4" and about 235 I just put on the suzuki gel seat.. will let ya know how it does long distance in a couple weeks when I get back from NC... anyone have any luck with the Suzuki taller windshield, got one on the way .. hope it helps with the wind buffeting I get at higher cruising speeds.. as far as the numb hands, I put a cheaper cruise controll (throttle lock) on the bandit and it made all the difference in the world.. later all
why do I have to ride faster than the law allows!!  LOL

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 04:17:15 PM »
im looking for one of those gel seats. If you got a secret place, lemme know..
Problem is I have a 2000 Bandit 1200. seems to be easier to find the newer model ones.

Offline Dexter

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 08:22:09 PM »
I gotta tell ya, I got lucky finding my Gel seat.. my wife works at a motorcycle shop.. somebody brought a b6 in to sell and it had the gel seat on it.. the sales manager liked the look of the original better, so I traded him mine.. after the bike sold.. the original owner came in with the stocker and dropped it off.. so now I have the gel and the stocker.. and all this for free.. ok .. dont start throwing stuff at me you guys!!  its good to be connected.. I must be livin right!!  LOL
why do I have to ride faster than the law allows!!  LOL