Author Topic: Any tips/tricks for chain adjustment?  (Read 2410 times)

Offline WabashMX5

• Board Homesteader!
Any tips/tricks for chain adjustment?
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:52:59 PM »
I've read the owner's manual on the subject (though I don't have a shop manual).  My chain tension is way out of spec, so I really oughta fix it before the next big ride.  

I already found this thread in a search, but are there any other pointers or helpful tips before I get into it — or just go get a spare cotter pin, suck it up, and start turning wrenches?

Thanks in advance!
'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'91 VW Jetta Carat
'94 Mazda Miata

'03 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
'85 Kawasaki 454LTD

Five vehicles for two drivers?  Sounds about right to me....

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Any tips/tricks for chain adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 12:22:51 AM »
Since I haven't figured out how to check the slack while sitting on the bike (recommended check point) I use the centerstand and put the chain to the loose side of spec - somewhere around 1.5 inches.  The chain will be a little tighter off the centerstand due to the rotation of the swing arm.  Better to have too loose of chain than too tight.

The tip about using a screwdriver to pry the adjuster forward as you tighten the axle nut is a great one although I prefer to use a 14mm open end wrench.

Be sure to line up the rear sprocket with the chain/front sprocket - don't necessarily rely on the stamped markings on the swing arm.  When making the adjustments simply count the number of "flats" on the adjuster nut/bolt and apply the same number of turns to both sides.  One or two flats will make a big difference in chain tightness.

If you over tighten you'll have to loosen the bolts (again - count the flats and make them even) and bang the tire forward with your fist to seat it up against the bolts and begin all over again.

Have a spare cotter pin handy in case you break the original - I never could get them to last but a couple of changes so I went to a hitch pin.  Other than that - take your time and enjoy the process...
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!