Author Topic: Help, Advice, and Opinions  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Coopz

• Board Homesteader!
Help, Advice, and Opinions
« on: September 15, 2006, 01:26:27 AM »
Hi everybody.

I need some help. My little Bandit 400 is going to need a new rear tyre soon, but I don't know which one to go for. This is my first big bike, and he first time I have had to buy a tyre for it. I have heard some opinions about different tyres, but can't decide what to get. I'm not looking to shell out a fortune, but I don't want to compromise too much on the quality either. I do quite a it of rain riding, so wet grip is important. I'm still a newbie, so my cornering aint anything spectacular, so I don't think I need super sticky racing tyres. I do quite a lot of riding, and a lot of heavy accelerating and breaking, so I'm looking for tyres with long life.

I have been reccommended the Bridgestone Battlaxe BT020's by my mate, he says they are fantastic. But they seem a bit expensive for me, and i don't think I'd even be able to use the to their full potential. My mate is a maniac and needs super grip 100% of the time, but I think I could manage with something a little less grippy, it it was a little less expensive. I have found a few on the net which catch my eye, but I have no idea if they are any good or not. That's where you guys come in.

I was hoping some people could advise me which ones to go for, if you know if a tyre is good from experience, or if you have heard that they are good.

These are the ones that I have found:

Maxxis M6029: £63.99 + £10 postage
Pirelli Sports Demon: £69.99 + £10 postage
Continental Contiforce: £59.99 + £10 postage
Continental Avenue: £53.99 + 10 postage
Shinko SR-741: £40.80 with free postage (could not find ANY info on these tyres, I hear the 009 is good but cant find any of them)
Bridgestone BT 45 R: £81.30 with free postage

There is a Bridgestone BT020, and that's £95 with free postage.

There are also a pair of Maxxis Supermaxx tyres, which seem really good, for £110 + £15 postage. I don't need a front yet, but maybe I should change it anyway, so that both tyres or the same, or I could keep it as a spare. But, I don't have money to go throwing around, so maybe if I dont need a front, I shouldn't buy it, even if it is a good price. Would it be worth it?

Please give me your advice and opinions. I don't know what to do! lol.
ANy advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.  :motorsmile:
Coopz
-Silencing Lambs Since October 31st 2006

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 10:25:31 AM »
I've used the Pirelli Sport demon on sevral smaller, lighter bikes and liked them very much.
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 01:58:44 PM »
Since you do a lot of rain riding, you should definitely make that a priority. Probably a sport/touring tire is the way to go as you sort of get the best of both worlds that way.

The reality is that all those tires are "Good" tires. The differences are personal and have more to do with your personal riding style than anything else. For example, when you're entering a corner, are you more likely to scrub off speed while setting up for the corner -- when you're still more or less going straight, with the brakes, or do you plow into it and scrub off speed with the side by sliding a bit. Likewise, when you exit the corner are you waiting till you're straight again before you hammer it, putting the acceleration load more in the middle of the tire? or are you hammering it to straighten your self up thus putting more load on the sides?

You're best bet is to go for the best value for your money at this point and then pay attention to how it feels and how it lasts for you. Ultimately, you want a tire that gives you the most performance for your needs, at the best price. This doesn't necessarily mean its the cheapest tire if that tire doesn't last for you... You shouldn't be afraid to try different tires with each change. That's the only way to really find out how they work for YOU.

All the opinions you read about tires are just that, opinions. They are subjective to the writer/rider. That said, there are things you will find in common between others opinion's that you can consider in light of your own riding style. If you find repeated complaints about a tire that wears too quickly in the middle, upright position, that would be one for you probably avoid since you are still new enough that you spend a lot of time in that position.

Having said all that, you're probably more confused... You should try to keep notes about what features of different tires you like or don't like as time progresses and you try out different ones. Also, recognize that there are significant differences within one manufacturer's different models too. Reference the various shinko threads that highlight the differences between the 005 and 009's. Don't condemn one manufacturer because of one set of tires.

At this point, you probably can't go WRONG with any of these tires (except maybe the Avenue, isn't that a cruising tire?) you just may find that they aren't really up to snuff for you. No way to know until you try 'em.

And finally, any new tire feels GREAT when compared to that crappy old squared off thing you're replacing :grin: