Author Topic: Anyone Change Tires by Hand?  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
Anyone Change Tires by Hand?
« on: September 24, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »
I am inetrested in knowing if anyone changes 185/55 - 17 tires without a machine.

Seems like it should be possible using old-style tire spoons but I have never done it.

If so, what kind of rin protection do you use?  What kind of tire spoons work the best?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Anyone Change Tires by Hand?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »
Here's a nice little tire changing page with some ideas....

CLICK ME - CLICK ME

It can be done but a changer is much easier.  If you were closer I'd say swing on by and we'll get ya fixed up. :motorsmile:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline skibum

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
I've been changing my own tires for years.  I learned back in the day when I was racing enduros and it was a necessity if you wanted to finish.  I use a short tire iron (spoon) and a tool called a "Breezer" that is purpose made for the task.  Essentially, you hold the bead onto the wheel with the tire iron and hook the Breezer onto the wheel and over the tire bead then beat the Breezer around the rim with a dead blow hammer.  It sounds scary but I've yet to damage a wheel doing it this way.  I've reached the point where I can change a tire in about 15 minutes.  I'm not sure if the tool is still available or not but if I remember correctly, it was made by Motion Pro.
I'm having fun.  Are you having fun?  I'm having fun.

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 11:24:25 PM »
I used to change my own tires. In July I was taking a tire off a wheel when the iron slipped. Hit me in the face for a couple stitches just over my upper lip, and cut up the inside of my mouth pretty badly :duh:, came a snake hair away from losing a few teeth so I guess I was lucky. So anyway, the dealer can do it for me now, I've had enough of scraped knuckles and emergency visits. $20 or $30 is worth it. 

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:24:26 AM »
  All the time, I change mine at my buddy's shop. He made a nice set of iron years ago,longer,stronger,with a nice flattened lip on the ends.Better than the ones they sell. Not only mine, but I help change customers tires too. For protection(rims) I just use the plastic rim savers that clip on.

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »
Well, I just went ahead and gave it a try with my 8" Dowidat spoons, some HDPE "rim protectors" cut from a soap bottle, and some soapy water.

Guess what?  It was much easier than changing Dunlop K81s on Dunlop rims with tubes and security bolts in days gone by!

Now I wonder why so many of us believed that this simple job requires a specialized machine when all it takes is a pair of spoons and a time-honored technique.

I just ordered my wheel balancer from Marc Parnes and, once again, I will be self-sufficient when it comes to tires.

Now I can again travel in confidence that, if I do get a puncture on the road, I can fix it on the spot or install a new tire myself. :motorsmile:
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
I used to change my own tires. In July I was taking a tire off a wheel when the iron slipped. Hit me in the face for a couple stitches just over my upper lip, and cut up the inside of my mouth pretty badly :duh:, came a snake hair away from losing a few teeth so I guess I was lucky. So anyway, the dealer can do it for me now, I've had enough of scraped knuckles and emergency visits. $20 or $30 is worth it. 

If I could find a place to do it for $20 or even $30, I'd be thrilled.  My last two changes were $80 for two tires.  I'd buy the gear to do it but I barely have free time to pull my wheels anymore...  Now that I sold the race bike, which was my source of street tires (ran takeoffs)... this whole tire thing is going to be REALLY expensive! 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »
UPDATE: 
My Marc Parnes Products wheel balancer came in the mail on Wednesday. 
It worked perfectly and is easy to use (the instructions are on his web site). 
It took about 15 minutes to get nearly-perfect balance.
This is the tool I should have had a long time ago!

Also, I forgot to mention:  I got some RuGlyde at the NAPA store to lubricate the tire and rim to make it go on more easily.  Works better than dish soap in water.

Good luck,
Dave
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit