Author Topic: Anyway to get the Silver back???  (Read 10338 times)

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
Anyway to get the Silver back???
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »
All 4 pipes running off my headers are Gold all the way down to my full yoshi system. I'm wondering if there's any miracle cleaner that could restore these pipes to silver??  I bought the bandit this way, and there so gold I thought for the longest that it came this way. Or do they come gold and Im second doubting myself after seeing a few shiny silver pipes on other bandits?

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 04:53:19 PM »
Since they are stainless steel, they turn gold after about 1000~1500 miles or so.

You can get them back to 90% original shine with Mothers polish or Flitz polish, but eventually the gold will return again after a year or two.

I'm told that with Flitz the discoloration will stay away longer, but Flitz is more expensive.  I've used it on sterling silver and was pretty impressed with the results.

(Header polishing is on my summer project list as well.)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:03:55 PM »
+1 on Mothers Polish.  Be prepared to use lots of clean rags and elbow grease.  About halfway through you'll be cussing  up a storm but when you finally finish the bike will look fantastic.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 09:26:01 PM »
You guys don't like the gold color?  Matches the brake rotor.  I like it much better than the chrome pipes that turned blue at both ends in the old days.

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 04:09:03 AM »
I actually like the gold color. I just wish it was gold all around,  Maybe I'll just clean em good.

ok, how about how can I get the gold pipes cleaned nicely?? without removing the gold?

It actually looks very nice with the color of my bike, wine red, so its kinda like florida state colors.  
Im just undecided on how to make my bike look supersweet. its easy to deal with 2 color bike, even three, but mines 4. gold, chrome, black and red.

I might try getting all the chrome black instead and go with gold red black scheme.

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 07:47:24 AM »
This is  a bit off topic but do you guys use anthing special to get the flicks of tar off the pipes?  Trying to keep her clean but I don't want to be hard on the chrome...

Jim

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 08:14:47 AM »
Quote from: "jbrough7"
This is  a bit off topic but do you guys use anthing special to get the flicks of tar off the pipes?  Trying to keep her clean but I don't want to be hard on the chrome...

Jim

Yeah, don't drive on tar.

Quote from: "IcyChaos"
...ok, how about how can I get the gold pipes cleaned nicely?? without removing the gold?

Someone on the board has told us several times that Armor All cut 50/50 with water really shines them up nice.  Haven't tried it, yet, myself.  Just repeating what I've heard.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 09:01:12 AM »
Kero does wonders, just don't use anything abrasive.....you'll end up with fine scratches on the pipes.  Yes, that is the voice of experience speaking.... :duh:  :duh:
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 11:28:55 AM »
Geeeez, just ridem. If you want sometin to look at, buy a chrome plated lawn tractor.
Do or do not, there is no try.  
-Yoda

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 12:04:43 PM »
Good point.

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »
I haven't waxed a vehicle in 25 years but find myself waxing the damn bandit!  Kinda fun when not riding it to clean it.

Jim

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 03:44:36 PM »
I haven't waxed a vehicle in 25 years but find myself waxing the damn bandit!  Kinda fun when not riding it to clean it.

Jim

I had to quit waxing my cars after my heart attack; just wears me out too much.  But I DO wax the Bandit.  Jimbo, when you wax, do also try to do the frame?  That gives me trouble, so I just wipe it down with WD-40 to make it glisten (engine, too) and wax only the plastics and tank.  'Course, I Armor All the instrument cluster and black inner fairing and rear fender.

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 03:52:34 PM »
I never do the fram but the wd40 is a good idea...i'll try it.  What do you use to do in amongst the fins on the engine?  toothbrush?  My wife hates it when I use her toothbrush for that stuff!

Jim

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 04:00:03 PM »
I never do the fram but the wd40 is a good idea...i'll try it.  What do you use to do in amongst the fins on the engine?  toothbrush?  My wife hates it when I use her toothbrush for that stuff!

Jim

Well, since my engine actually is never dirty, I don't have to scrub, so I've used Q-tips to get in the funny places and, yes, an old SOFT toothbrush.  Just don't really scrub with it.  Just touch it enough to spread the WD-40.  I also rub WD-40 on all the black cables and wiring that I can reach to keep the rubber pliable forever (I hope) and just as a moisture repellent.  The WD-40 thing is an old trick I learned on the IBMWRiders site.  On the really old dull bikes, it returns the sheen to dried out old engine paint AND any of the black plastics that have turned grey or whitish with sun damage and age you can get them black again by using this stuff.  Couple of treatments a year was all my K75 needed to look new "down under".

Offline SmokeyAndTheBandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 11:34:56 PM »
The quickest and easiest way to get the pipes silver again is by using a polishing compound called white rouge. It is a chalky substance and you put it on a cotton buffing wheel. White rouge is amazing stuff. It is definitely alot easier to polish with it. I like to go over it afterwards with Mothers polish to get it perfect. Here's what mine looked like afterwards.

Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600