Author Topic: Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max  (Read 25053 times)

Offline JReviere

• Board Homesteader!
Power Brutes
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 10:47:46 AM »
In it's day, the V-65 Magna was the fastest straight line production bike in the market...  

I would expect it to be CLOSE... I've ridden both and off the line, the V-65 Magna would probably take the lead, but when the VMax got into it's power range (VBoost) it would make a race of the confrontation.

I was surprised to read how the B-12 Bandits routinely had lower ET's and higher 1/4 mi final speeds... not a lot, but enough to beat VMax every time.  BHP and Torque on the VMax are greater, but so is weight and Max is shaft while Bandit is chain drive....  Rider reaction times could be deciding factor too since the time/speeds I read were so close.

This said, I have to add, VMax is one real GO DOWN THE ROAD machine for sure.  I was riding, some years ago, in the back seat of my son's car on a narrow two lane tarmac road on the Spanish island of Mallorca, we were running about 125klicks... I heard the singing of a bike engine... suddenly, a VMax literally flew past us as though we were a speed limit sign. I have no idea of the guy's speed, but I'd estimate it at 200 klicks or greater... He was really "GOING DOWN THE ROAD."   I WAS IMPRESSED..... He was crazy.

JR
Live Long and Prosper.

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 11:17:31 AM »
From what I recall as "official" 1/4 mile times when we bought my wife's bike (its faster than a magna 750 according to this quarter mile time list and I can attest to it handling better than a magna) the magna 750 was only a fraction of a second behind my bike, which was a fraction of second behind the valkyrie and v-rod (tied IIRC) then the v-max was about .5 second faster than those.  It is conceivable that the v-65 1100 cc magna could match the v-max but I doubt it could beat it.  V-boost is really what gave the v-max its fame as a fire-breathing monster...
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline JReviere

• Board Homesteader!
Magna/VMax
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 12:01:03 PM »
The last 750 Magna I had was "not stock"... it had the air box mods, the carb rejet, and Vance and Hines (AWFUL LOUD) pipes... it would scat, but you're right VMax would run away from it purely on the basis of cubes.  

Now, I would like to see some actual "real world" comparisons between a pristine stock V-65Mag and a same year pristine stock V-Max... any other comparison would be, to me at least, like comparing watermellons with grapes.  

Like I said, I think the bottom end grunt of the V-65 Mag would take the off the line, (if you could keep the rear tire 'hooked up.') but Maxine might get enough out of VBoost up top to catch it, maybe even pass it...  Can't know w/o heads up comparo, however.

JR

JR
Live Long and Prosper.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »
Quote from: "ricklee4570"
So anybody know which would win in a straight line race, the V-65 Magna or the V-Max? (All variables considered equal)

IIRC from the m/c rags of the day, the V65 Magna was the quickest production bike when it came out in '83 - but when '85 rolled around and the V-Max hit the street, it took the top honors away from Honda.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 06:18:31 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
IIRC from the m/c rags of the day, the V65 Magna was the quickest production bike when it came out in '83 - but when '85 rolled around and the V-Max hit the street, it took the top honors away from Honda.

And then the FJ, and GSXR 1100, and then the ZX11, and then the Busa, and now the ZX14.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 06:21:39 PM »
Different animal when you start talking about the FJ and others...V-max is still the fastest cruiser available...
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 09:08:22 PM »
My memory tells me it was the V65 Sabre, not Magna that was quickest in a 1/4 mile.

I don't really think of a Vmax as a cruiser either, more of a brute power standard. It really doesn't attempt the cruiser styling cues.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 10:54:30 PM »
Quote from: "rkfire"
I don't really think of a Vmax as a cruiser either, more of a brute power standard. It really doesn't attempt the cruiser styling cues.

Really??? :headscratch: It screams Cruiser to me - albeit Power Cruiser.
Raked front end, low seat height, small diameter rear wheel with a fat rear tire (for the era it was first introduced), skinny and tall front wheel, little concern for cornering clearance/handling, some idiot lights & instruments on the "tank" (actually in a pod just forward of the airbox cover), stepped seat, that rear fender, "V" engine with stylized fins and the fact Yamaha has put it in their Star Motorcycles lineup.
OK, so it doesn't have forward foot controls, but plenty of Harleys don't either... and it hasn't changed styling in over 20 years. I think that makes it the longest in tooth Japanese motorcycle ever made. Even the almost as old Kawasaki Concours got a facelift after 20.  :wink:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 10:59:26 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"

Really??? :headscratch: It screams Cruiser to me - albeit Power Cruiser.
Raked front end, low seat height, small diameter rear wheel with a fat rear tire (for the era it was first introduced), skinny and tall front wheel, little concern for cornering clearance/handling, some idiot lights & instruments on the "tank" (actually in a pod just forward of the airbox cover), stepped seat, that rear fender, "V" engine with stylized fins and the fact Yamaha has put it in their Star Motorcycles lineup.
OK, so it doesn't have forward foot controls, but plenty of Harleys don't either... and it hasn't changed styling in over 20 years. I think that makes it the longest in tooth Japanese motorcycle ever made. Even the almost as old Kawasaki Concours got a facelift after 20.  :wink:

+1 !!!! Well Said! :congrats:

Offline rkfire

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 02:06:37 AM »
Nah, when you look at a Harley and a Vmax, they have nearly nothing in common. Not a cruiser. More of a pro-stock drag bike look. The japanese have made plenty of powerful but ill handling beasts over the years. Yamaha had the virago based v-twin imitation even back in the day to do the cruiser thing.

Offline 03banditrdr

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 10:29:50 AM »
My memory tells me it was the V65 Sabre, not Magna that was quickest in a 1/4 mile.

and I was thinking it was the ZL1000 Eliminator?? before the Vmax?

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »
Sorry, the V-max is a power cruiser.  It sits more like a cruiser than a power-standard, has more looks and chrome than a standard as well.  I don't think anyone in the VMOA would consider it a power standard.

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 02:35:32 PM »
This is from a Vmax Web Site

Memo to Yamaha:

The Vmax, when first introduced, was a knock down, take no prisoners muscle bike, and everyone knew it. Those days are long past. A lot of current sportbikes will kick sand in the face of Mr. Max and feel no fear, he’s a little slow and stiff. So if you’re going to reintroduce him, what do you do?

The Vmax was never intended to be a corner carver, it’s a straight line point and shoot weapon that sounds like nothing else (with proper pipes) and with v-boost it gave you that rush at 6,000rpm that felt like all hell was breaking loose. Loads of fun! I know, I’ve owned two. Don’t try to be all things to all riders, there are a small number of Vmax devotees who will buy one as soon as they’re available plus new initiates who want the same experience in terms even a current rider can understand and that takes horsepower, brutal horsepower plus the sound of a V4 with a great set of cams. So here are a few ideas:

The rear tire on the concept at 200/50R18 is getting there but we could go a bit wider. Forget curves, we’re talking straight lines here, we need rubber to harness horsepower.

Dump the shaft drive. A swingarm with a good chain is lighter and gives owners more flexibility for wider wheels and long swingarms for drag racing. Conversions from shaft drive are a lot of work. Look at some of the best customs Vmax fans have built over the last 20 years, lots of chain drive.

Carbs are long out of date so the old v-boost setup is passe but how about supercharging? Blowers give street cred like few things can. A turbo could work, too, but a supercharger does away with lag and just has that badass look and sound that sets it apart. Those scoops could serve a real purpose!

Forget the Yamaha saddlebags and windshields. Build a line of factory drag accessories like extended swingarms, special cams, big bore kits, wheelie bars, that sort of thing. Maybe if the supercharger is too radical for the standard machine, offer it as a factory speed part.

Push the envelope. The Vmax was crazy when it first came out and lasted a long time, be crazy again. Cosmetic updates will disappoint everyone unless the machine means business, don’t ruin a great name. You don’t need a practical road cruiser, Yamaha has lots of high volume road bikes, this is a special purpose halo machine, make the name mean something again. Introduce a new generation of riders to the mean and nasty Mr Max!
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 03:39:37 PM »
Quote from: "03banditrdr"
and I was thinking it was the ZL1000 Eliminator?? before the Vmax?

I agree. I'd call the V-Max more of a factory drag bike, for stoplight-to-stoplight racing. Not a "cruiser" at all:

A lot like the Eliminator:.

ButI wouldn't call them "muscle-bikes", either... to me, a muscle-bike is more of a standard with a big engine... like the Z-1 900/1000, or the early GS1000/1100's, or nowadays... the Bandit.  :bandit:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline 03banditrdr

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Verses V-Max
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
now to throw some fire.. Id lose my B12.5 for a vmax anyday having had both!!!