Author Topic: Bandit 600 in a Box  (Read 17671 times)

Offline Big_Jim59

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Bandit 600 in a Box
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »
Since last I posted I had put several hundred miles on my B6 and I knew something was wrong. Prior to installing the stage 1 kit I got from Holeshot I had cleaned the carbs, blown air and carb cleaner through all the jets and fixed the choke rack that was installed wrong. I knew the PO had been into the carbs but I didn't think it was anything too serious. More about this later. I got the bike going and it ran OK but not great. I have no prior bench mark for this bike have never owned one or even ridden one. My verdict was that it was not as crisp as if should be. From all that I knew and read, the bike should be super lean but it was running rich.

I installed the Holeshot stage 1 kit, which made an already rich condition worse and it ran worse.  I knew, from the terrible gas mileage, that I had a fuel problem but where was it going? Off came the carbs again. I figured I missed something. A forum search turned up a post that suggested checking for wear in the needle jets. (not the needles but the jets they slide into.)  The post said that sometimes, in high mileage bikes, these openings wear oval and start to run rich in mid range. At this point I am grasping at straws so I am going through looking at each carb, #1, fine, #2, fine, #3 fine, #4 no jet at all. What? Yep, the jet was gone. I hadn't noticed it because I wasn't looking for it. I had taken it for granted that it had a jet in there. It is the #4 plug that has always shown to be rich. I was just dumbfounded. The needle on #4 was just going up and down in a barrel. I can only surmise that changing main jets from 92 to 95 (as are in the stage 1 kit) made that condition worse as well.

I ordered a needle jet from BikeBandit.com. The jet came in the mail today and I cast off all work (I work out of the house)  and ran to the shop. I installed the jet, reinstalled the second spacer under the needle (I had removed this thinking it might be the problem) and put everything back together as per the stage 1 kit spec sheet. The first impressions are promising. On the dirt road the little minx wants to squirt sideways on throttle. It wants to loft its front wheel too which it has never really wanted to do. A fast ride around the block shows good throttle response, smooth power, smooth cruising speed and a lot more lower end. It is not torque exactly but it has more grunt out of corners in second and third. I love it when they just run better and better. Now it needs attention to the pilot jet settings and I think I need to sync the carbs again. (what a drag.)

Offline Big_Jim59

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Bandit 600 in a Box
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »
I got the bike buttoned up and set up. I put 80 miles on it Saturday and it was great FUN. I can't explain it but it just felt right. The little beast will scoot when you wind it up a bit. I got 58 miles per gallon were before I got 28 mpg and I was running 70 and sometimes more. I am surprised that the bike ran as well as it did with one whole jet missing. That gas must have been just poring through that missing jet hole. The Holeshot kit made the rich condition much worse but it also sent me off to really look for the cause. I was playing with the bike and noticed that top three gears are really close together. Then I noticed that the vibrations in the handlebars diminished around 7 grand. I started to play with the shifter, like riding a two stroke, and found amazing power and comfortable grips up the rev range. Very fun. I don't know about riding in 5th but it may be more comfortable. I am going to dig the expanding foam out the the handlebar (that anti vibration remedy didn't work as well as I had hoped) and replace it with lead shot. That should help some.