Author Topic: CHAINS  (Read 2764 times)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
CHAINS
« on: November 25, 2007, 07:22:06 AM »
Just a quick question - How long should a chain last on a B12?

I've got an 02B12 with no mods and I seem to lucky if I get 20,000km out of a chain.

Yes I regularly adjust it and lube it every 3rd tank of fuel.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: CHAINS
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:33:53 AM »
There's no definitive answer on that AFAIK...  one thing you didn't cite was how often you clean your chain and I believe that does more to promote long life than anything else.  Your riding style factors in as well (clutch up wheelies vs. LD touring) and the type of lube will vary the life span.  Another thing is riding weather... if you ride in the rain a lot and don't immediately lube the chain afterward you're risking the dreaded red dust.

With that typed... I got 47,000 miles (not km's) out of my OEM chain and (  Still For Sale  )   :lol:  sprockets.  I am very diligent about chain maintenance.  I used 80-90w gear oil roughly every tank of fuel... and a loob-man on long trips... cleaned with kerosene every 1,000 miles... and kept the chain on the loose side of the spec.  I rarely ride in the rain unless I just happen to get caught in it - when I do the minimum is a shot of WD-40 to displace any moisture.  Let's leave the WD-40 controversy out for now...

IMHO, the biggest enemy to long chain life is dirt.  Using a "non-fling" lube is the worst thing you can do as dirt sticks to it and makes an abrasive paste that just grinds the chain components to an early grave.  The next worst thing is leaving this crud rouge in place for thousands of miles.  The gear oil does fling but that action carries away some of the crud.... and what does fling is easily wiped with a paper towel - the "non-fling" lubes can hardly be removed with kerosene.

I have now switched to automatic transmission fluid in the loob-man and it seems to work really good at keeping thing clean and lubed.  During my normal 1,000 mile cleaning session there's hardly any grit or dirt in the pan when washing with kerosene.  I only have about 11,000 miles on this new chain but it's never been adjusted beyond the first 500 miles so I don't know if I just got lucky with the OEM chain or my efforts are truly the key to long chain life.

On the other end of the spectrum... I know some people never clean and rarely lube the chain and they get 10,000 miles without much problem.  I suspect they find it easier to change it out rather than fuss with regular maintenance... I'm just too frugal for that. (Nice way of saying cheap...  :roll:

Hope this helps.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 01:06:54 PM »
My OEM 600 chain only lasted 20,000 kms, but the Regina replacement is at 28,000 and going strong, only a couple of adjustments necessary so far. I was using "chain wax" on the origional, but am back to PJ-1 or similar lube again.

I lube the chain thoroughly at the end of every day of riding, so sometimes as little as 100 kms, but usually 500-750 kms. I also clean the chain with solvent a couple of times a season, and re-lube.

I'm sure that an autoluber would get you even more mileage...
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 02:15:59 PM »
No one can appreciate chain maintenance until they have owned a dirt bike they actually ride in the dirt. Having said that, for me chain maintenance is a pressure wash, dry and a re-lube http://www.klotzlube.com/tech/KL-605.pdf. I have never had a chain turn color (red), and never had one not meet normal life expectancy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 02:19:19 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 05:50:47 AM »
I ride just about every day to work, only about 15km round trip.  I try and get at least one  250+km ride every month. I don't pull wheelies, for 2 reasons, 1, I can't, and 2, on the odd occaison that I've accidently lifted the front end, I had to go home and change my jocks....yes I know I'm a wuzz.

As for riding in the rain, I try and do that as often as I can.  Why? because we are in the middle of a drought. :duh: :duh:

I clean the chain every month or so, unless I've been on some dirt roads or it happens to have rained alot, then I clean it more often.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:54:48 AM »
I once got 80,000 out of a DID standard O-ring on my Fj1200, but I was really really anal about keep it clean and lubed. But as I don't ride the bikes daily and for work, I aint so anal no more.

But having said that, I still keep then clean and Lubed.
The clean, I now as I have time between rides, remove the chain, and soak it a bath of kero.
Then hang dry for a day.
Then into a bath of 80w140 diff oil for a overnight soak, then hang it up to drip dry for a day or 2.
Yes it makes a shyteful mess of the back wheel, but is as easy as picking ya nose to clean up.
I'm often sprung cleaning up the back rim with paper towel at the first petrol stop.

A usefull inbetween lube I've found is Oleon(the brand name) silicone spray.
The chain on the Rex to getting close to 30,000k's and is still going strong. And I give shyte.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.