Author Topic: Cheap Backrest comfort for the wife  (Read 3235 times)

Offline 97RedBird

• Board Homesteader!
Cheap Backrest comfort for the wife
« on: July 29, 2005, 09:11:02 PM »
I can't afford top of the line until my college loans are paid off, so here is my backrest and topbox rack.  Paid approx. $15 for materials I didn't have on hand (matching fake leather material, foam, and 4 metric hex bolts).  Backrest is a 3/8 plywood back with the fake leather stretched over the foam and stapled on the back.  Works great.  More leverage to lift the bike onto the center stand too!

My uncle gave me the bag in the back, works great for carrying the chain wax.

- Nathan
96 B6S

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 10:29:09 PM »
cool! :grin:
What type of piping/tubing did you use for the framework?
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline 97RedBird

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 11:48:05 PM »
left over ceiling fan pipe  :grin:  

I think they are 1/2 ID pipe about 5 -6 foot long.  They were being thrown away and I was going to use them for a Strut Tower Brace on my Trans Am, but never got around to it.  

The Top box was mounted right behind the seat where the backrest is, but my wife didn't like the backrest on the topbox so I had to move it back quite a ways back actually so the lid would open enough to slide things in the case.

Wife is pleased and my pocket penny pinching self feels great too.  I hate painting and prefer function over looks so It may need to be touched up in a year.
- Nathan
96 B6S

Offline Oldschooler

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 01:48:28 PM »
Thats a cool set-up you have there. I think I like it so much because I also have a red 96 600s. It's nice to see another one. I have no mods yet, its completely bone stock. My plastic is a little faded so some new paint might be my first mod.  :motorsmile:
75 Kawi F7 175 / 1975 thru 1982
86 Honda TLM 200 / 1986 thru 2001
96 Suzuki Bandit 600S / June 2005 (still got it)
06 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Offline 97RedBird

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 10:36:09 PM »
My complete tail section looks anywhere from pink to red depending on the angle.  Plus a few scratches I've added to it, but I'm not picky on the looks.  I still have scratches on the right side from a low-low speed slide on some ice last winter.  I'm to lazy to use some touch-up paint.  :motorsmile:

I won't be getting a new bike for a while so I have to make the best of what I have now.  I still enjoy the little 600.

Thanks!   it is fun to see everyone elses mod's so I thought I'd finally share my cheap creature comfort mod.
- Nathan
96 B6S