Author Topic: Hayabusa shock mod 2 gen B12  (Read 26034 times)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Hayabusa shock mod 2 gen B12
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 12:02:26 PM »
Wow!  That is a lot of work to put a busa shock on a 1st generation.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

ippo

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 12:18:22 PM »

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »

Is there something about this pic that you want to talk about?

Offline RDUBandit

• Board Homesteader!
  • All or nuthin', more or less...
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 10:50:32 PM »
Hey solman - can the portion of the shock that come in near contact with the rocker knuckle be filed slightly to increase the spacing between the shock and knuckle?
Dave...
2004 Bandit 1200S (>92k miles; lotsa mods; SOLD)
2002 Bandit 1200 (>13k miles; more mods)
1997 Bandit 1200 (>3k miles; most mods)
2005 Ducati Monster S4R (>48k miles; ditto)
2003 Triumph Speed Triple (SOLD)
2013 Yamaha FJR1300 (5k miles)
IBA Member #28454

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 11:40:27 PM »
Sure, there is the casting where it could hit.  Just filing off the casting would add a couple of thousandths easily.

Offline RDUBandit

• Board Homesteader!
  • All or nuthin', more or less...
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 08:05:43 AM »
Sure, there is the casting where it could hit.  Just filing off the casting would add a couple of thousandths easily.

Cool, thanks!!  My shock is on the way!

By the way, did you remove the airbox cover tab on the left or right?  Your pics look like the left side, but you say the right side in one of your pics.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:26:10 AM by RDUBandit »
Dave...
2004 Bandit 1200S (>92k miles; lotsa mods; SOLD)
2002 Bandit 1200 (>13k miles; more mods)
1997 Bandit 1200 (>3k miles; most mods)
2005 Ducati Monster S4R (>48k miles; ditto)
2003 Triumph Speed Triple (SOLD)
2013 Yamaha FJR1300 (5k miles)
IBA Member #28454

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
By the way, did you remove the airbox cover tab on the left or right?  Your pics look like the left side, but you say the right side in one of your pics.

You are perfectly correct, I fixed the problem. :thanks:

If look at pictures 3 and 5, you can see the casting mark down the middle.  I would've dremeled it to clear some more if needed, but I had .004 clearance, so good to go.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 01:32:40 PM by solman »

ippo

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 03:57:58 PM »

Is there something about this pic that you want to talk about?
Yes.you can try find part of busa in picture or other bikes?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:59:47 PM by ippo »

Offline NC Rick

• Board Regular!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »
Not really wanting to pee on a parade but look at the stroke of the Busa shock compared to the stock shock. It has close to 50% longer stroke than the stock shock. Since the lever ratio amplifies this at the rear wheel (still 50% but a LOT of extra travel). Be really certain you know about the tire clearance and geometry issues. Riding to the store, this won't be a problem but riding fast at the track or in serious twistys, crashing can result. For the get one bikes, the shock is just plain too long. I think the busa shock is a little long for the 2nd gen, (forcing excessive sag) to get a decent ride hight. I understand the desire to get a better shock for cheap but please watch out for the details. Sometimes, just because there are a lot of people doing it don't make it right.

Ride safe.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 02:38:27 AM »
Not really wanting to pee on a parade but look at the stroke of the Busa shock compared to the stock shock. It has close to 50% longer stroke than the stock shock. Since the lever ratio amplifies this at the rear wheel (still 50% but a LOT of extra travel). Be really certain you know about the tire clearance and geometry issues. Riding to the store, this won't be a problem but riding fast at the track or in serious twistys, crashing can result. For the get one bikes, the shock is just plain too long. I think the busa shock is a little long for the 2nd gen, (forcing excessive sag) to get a decent ride hight. I understand the desire to get a better shock for cheap but please watch out for the details. Sometimes, just because there are a lot of people doing it don't make it right.

Ride safe.

Really hate to down grade your post, but I have been out twice on the 2nd gen B12 with the Busa shock.  The first time out I took it easy initially and slowly progressed faster as I felt comfortable.  During the whole ride, there was no stability issues at all.  In fact it conformed to the bumps and twists so much better.  This last Sunday I took it out and went full bore.  Needless to say, it performed fantastic.  Neither time did I ever have any stability issues.  BTW, I also have my forks lowered about 3 mm as well.

Offline bikeb4cage

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 08:07:17 AM »
I agree with Solman-  I have had the Hayabusa shock for a total of 10K miles on by B6 and B12 - have not had any stability issues.  The rear sag is set similar to the front, which equates to a higher back end - but with the B12, lifting the front out of corners, high speed runs and 10+ runs of the Dragon, have not had any problems.  Granted the shock quickens the B12 handling.  If you set the sag right, then the only downside (IMO) is (potential) instability caused by the raised rear/ quickened geometry - which, to date, has not been an issue (no damper fitted as well).  Forks have been left alone in the trees.  Of course, having said that, I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

Jay
2001 B12N

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 01:02:08 PM »
I am not running a dampener as well.  I do however plan on getting a fork brace.

Offline NC Rick

• Board Regular!
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 01:13:20 PM »
The last thing in the world I want to do is dis anyone over their chosen modifications. They do work for them so they must be just fine. On the other hand, if I firmly believe there are safety issues I would be remiss in not expressing my concern. Perhaps some people may think my opinions are motivated by some promotional consideration, I doubt people who know me will think that. At the end of the day, we can all come to our own conclusions.

I ride with a lot of Bandit folks and the rider skills of the owners of these bikes is the most diverse of any other bike type I know. This past spring a really nice guy was out on one of our rides with his Bandit Street fighter that included these mods (lower busa forks and the shock). on a down hill sweeping turn, riding at a moderate but fairly quick pace following several other bikes including stock Bandits he encountered a dip in the road just near the apex and crashed, fortunately he was relatively OK after sliding into the guard rail. it looked like the header system hit the ground, unloading the front of the bike. Another friend who swore by the Busa shock mod on his Bandit was behind me at a track day (I was working as a control rider) and on the first lap with about 15 other bikes in line got on the gas and low sided his bike to his total amazement. He was going the same speed as the rest of us (quite slow) and is a better rider than most. He still blames the tires (Dunlop Qualifiers) but I was on the same lap with the same tire temperatures running Michelin race tires and had TONS of head room traction and lean wise.

Suzuki engineered the Bandit with a specific amount of wheel travel and a ride height and steering geometry to suit. In doing so they consider things like clearances, chain pull and dynamic steering geometry and need these to work in harmony under a wide range of conditions. On race bikes, changing these type of properties on a bike, we proceed with great caution and the racers will tell you, even a small set up change like adding 5mm of rear ride height at the shock can totally change the handling of a bike. Sometimes these changes are good, sometimes not. A change like that may work at one track but not another. To add 20 mm of shock length and close to an additional INCH of travel to the shock? That is a huge, I mean crazy big change. Perhaps the Suzuki engineers are not so smart and this is the greatest improvement you can make. My advice is only that you be careful and try to scientifically consider the changes you are making. I really enjoy meeting and riding with all my Internet forum friends and would much prefer seeing them err on the side of safety.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »
On the other hand, if I firmly believe there are safety issues I would be remiss in not expressing my concern.

I understand your concern and appreciate it.  I've been following stories for years now about how the busa shock is better.  Your comment is the first possible down side to the mod that I have heard ever since I first heard about it.  I can see some mods having more of a need for stuff like steering dampeners.  Heck, there is a reason why they are putting them on sport bikes nowadays as a stock accessory.

first lap with about 15 other bikes in line got on the gas and low sided his bike to his total amazement. He was going the same speed as the rest of us (quite slow) and is a better rider than most. He still blames the tires (Dunlop Qualifiers) but I was on the same lap with the same tire temperatures running Michelin race tires and had TONS of head room traction and lean wise

First of all you can't say that you had the same tire temperatures, especially on the first lap.  Plus you were running different brand tires which will have different warm up times.  Also if you were going quite slow, I would find it hard to blame it on the shock mod.  I have done 100+ on turns with no issues with Pirelli Strada sport touring tires.  It is also highly possible that he could've made a mistake or it was just an unfortunate event.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »
Not really wanting to pee on a parade but look at the stroke of the Busa shock compared to the stock shock. It has close to 50% longer stroke than the stock shock.

I know the Busa has a longer stroke, but 50% more seems like a lot.  The numbers I've seen (in the chart in our shock transplant thread in the FAQ) show the 2G B12 has a 61mm stroke and the Busa has a 72mm stroke.  Do you have different numbers, Rick?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)