Author Topic: K4 GSXR750 rear shock into a 1200k1 bandit-no problem  (Read 2171 times)

Offline rocketman1

• TURBO TYPER!
K4 GSXR750 rear shock into a 1200k1 bandit-no problem
« on: September 16, 2006, 09:43:46 AM »
Yes they do fit, the bike handles alot better, much has more adjustment to play with, the bike is nice and predictable in the corners now, it was a bit hinged in the middle feeling with the old shock.
Any one want all the info on how I did it please ask.
Red 2001 1200 BanditS

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
K4 GSXR750 rear shock into a 1200k1 bandit-no problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 10:02:56 AM »
I'm interested as I'm sure a lot of others are.

My questions would be...

Is it a direct swap?  (No cutting or mods required?)
Does it change the height of the bike?
Does the rear wheel still clear on the centerstand?
What year GSXR 750 is the shock from?
What is your weight?  (I'm afraid at 230lbs myself... it might be a little soft.)

Offline rocketman1

• TURBO TYPER!
GSXR 2004 into a Bandit
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 10:16:44 PM »
It is not quite a direct swap, there are a few mods you need to do it took me about 5 1/2 hrs, including 1/2 hr looking for a rubber bung that dropped out of the tank.
You will need to grind a fraction 1mm off the leading edge of the new shock inside the cleave, and grind the casting marks 1mm off the bottom link, this "pinch point" is obvious when temporarily setting the shock in place and is only the case when on the c/stand for fitting of the top and bottom fixing bolts which are about 1mm out of alignment, once the bike is off its c/stand the shock is well clear of the bottom linkages.
You will have to snip the left air filter fixing off as it fouls the top reservoir of the new shock, the air filter fits and works well without this fixing though.
With the adjustable spring setting of the 2004 shock I got, the back wheel just clears the ground on the c/stand. It does not change the height of the bike not that I can tell, I weigh about 180lbs, and my son 150lbs with two up - no problems, the adjustment on this shock is great, by turning the hard / soft screw setting makes a huge difference in just 2 turns, ie from soft and spongy to very firm, and anything in between, much better than the standard bandit settings, that you can hardly tell the difference.
Red 2001 1200 BanditS