Author Topic: Lit it up finally  (Read 4368 times)

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Lit it up finally
« on: April 10, 2009, 10:03:20 PM »
Lit the beast up for the first time this year...gotta love the Northern climes...

It started up pretty good, let it warm up a bit then roasted the back tire for a good 30 seconds...nice big cloud o smoke  :trustme:

I also installed the Holeshot block off plates, and adjusted the idle cct. It be runnin' pretty damn nice now. Just need to re-register it tomorrow and change the oil/filter.
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Lit it up finally
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »
Hey, Jamie....How come you didn't change the oil and filter BEFORE you put it away ?? :stickpoke:

PS: Re: burnout. I hope you have lotsa bux. Tires will sell for a LOT more this year than they did last year. The 2009 "crop" of tires is made with US$150/barrel oil....and a tire is made of ~70% oil!!! :wink:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:38:52 PM »
I put fresh oil in it over the winter then change it again in the Spring. I use Rotella-T so its cheap  :thumb:

Already got a quote for the tires and they aren't that bad, $330 for a pair of 021's  :motorsmile:

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
Got mine out this weekend too. Good thing, Nichola is calling for 10-15cm of the white stuff.

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »
I put fresh oil in it over the winter then change it again in the Spring. I use Rotella-T so its cheap  :thumb:

Already got a quote for the tires and they aren't that bad, $330 for a pair of 021's  :motorsmile:

Yikes! A pair of Shinko's (formerly Yokohama) costs around $200! :duh:

I heard some old-timers say that they mix a teaspoon of baking soda in the oil before storing their bikes for the winter because it neutralizes acids in the crankcase. Sounds like common sense - but will baking soda hurt the engine when run with the baking soda in it, or does the baking soda dissolve in the oil?

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:10:06 PM »
$200 US is almost $300 CDN LOL

Dunno about the baking soda...

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 02:00:10 AM »
$200 US is almost $300 CDN LOL

Dunno about the baking soda...
Is the exchange rate that bad again? BTW, that $200 for the Shinkos includes shipping. Even my local friendly stealer has Shinkos hanging on the wall right behind the cash register. Don't be put off by the name - these are Yokohamas.

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »
I have nothing against Shinkos...my neighbor runs them on his ZRX...I've had an affinity for Bridgestones since I first tried 020s :bigok:

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:51:09 PM »
I heard some old-timers say that they mix a teaspoon of baking soda in the oil before storing their bikes for the winter because it neutralizes acids in the crankcase. Sounds like common sense - but will baking soda hurt the engine when run with the baking soda in it, or does the baking soda dissolve in the oil?

Hey Gyro...don't do it!!!

All engine oils (assuming a reputable manufacturer) already contain sufficient base components to nuetralize acids. If you look up a product data sheet, you will see a number for TBN (Total Base Number), this is a measure of the reserve alkalinity of the oil. Acids are generally formed when the sulphur in the fuel combines with Hydrogen and Oxygen during combustion, and some of it will make in into the engine oil. Since gasolines generally are very low in sulphur compounds, you don't need a super high TBN in gasoline engine oils. Diesel oils have been typically much higher, but TBN's are coming down in them also, as sulphur is removed from the fuel. However, this is one of the reasons that it is better to change you engine oil in the fall before storage, as you remove the acids with the old engine oil. Fresh oil won't have any acids (other than those blended in as part of the ad-pak) as well as no soot or sludge/varnish type residual components.

Anyway, just change your oil in the fall, DON'T add bakinig soda, (or anything else).
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »
Quote from: pmackie

Anyway, just change your oil in the fall, DON'T add bakinig soda, (or anything else).
[/quote

Besides which, baking soda is an abrasive.  You might as well just add sand to your oil.

Blue
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong.  It's baking POWDER that you want.  Don't you guys ever watch Alton Brown's FEASTING ON ASPHALT?!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car