Author Topic: Ohlins Shock, to fit 1st Gen.  (Read 8528 times)

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
Ohlins Shock, to fit 1st Gen.
« on: November 17, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »
Anyone run an Ohlins on the 1 Gen ?   What model fits and what are the part Numbers or model numbers ?   Gaz.
GSF1200N,GSXR1100 cams, Head work
(3 angle,gas flow,compression),
Stage 3 Dynojet kit & K & N pods,Yoshie Full system, Front springs & GSXR Shock, Carbon stuff.  etc etc.

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
  • Tighten it 'til it Loosens then back-off 1/4 turn
Re: Ohlins Shock, to fit 1st Gen.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 11:59:37 PM »
Ohlins for the B12 (1st Gen) would be a
SU601
Kyle Racing USA in California carries them for $850.
dan@kyleusa.com
I'm considering hlins also, but that's a lot of cash. Hyperpro also makes good shocks; the cheaper level has no reservoir and non-adjustable for rebound damping... their higher level acts like (and is almost as expensive) as the Ohlins.
I'd be glad to know what other models/years shocks (e.g., 1998 GSXR 1100) would fit our B12s.. so that I could buy a used Ohlin off Ebay. I've been watching for a long time and don't see any SU601's on there.
ANy further info happily received!
Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:40:44 AM »
Cheers Greg,   The Gsxr1100 item I had on was a great improvement over stock , But that too is now getting past it.  I have a mate who also has a 1st Gen and he has fitted the std busa shock, bit of grinding near the bottom mount for that one . It works but I didn't like the idea much !
I found out today the SU002 Ohlins should also do the job and the only difference seems to be the an extra 6mm in overall length.  (312mm for the SU002 as it fits the GSXR)
Thanks for the response   Gaz.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 08:00:55 PM by roogazza »
Stage 3 Dynojet kit & K & N pods,Yoshie Full system, Front springs & GSXR Shock, Carbon stuff.  etc etc.

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 02:08:30 AM »
Hey, Kiwi -Gaz...
Right on. Can you tell me what bikes the SU002 fits? That way, I can watch EBay for any stray Ohlins that might fit my bike, come flitting past.

I see you have done some motor work. Outstanding. I am interested in some some light engine massaging...generally just want more mid-range. My first thought is a small bore-kit (I've done Wiseco on past bikes), and some simple head-work.. flow-improvement (?).
I'm extremely interested in keeping the bike RELIABLE, as I do a lot of weekend touring in the N.E. US, and often get stuck in traffic jams / low-speed situations.

Any suggestions / recomendations / links, please?
Ta
Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »
Just got a reply from Ohlins Sweden this morning.   Replacement for Bandit in Ohlins is the SU601 as you said and if you would like extra length as some do by putting on a GSXR shock you acan go for either the SU002 (for GSXR) or SU349 (for the RF900 R) 
I'll be going for the extra length ones as I like the clearance they give.

Mine has been really reliable as it is , which really, is quite mild !(about 140 at the rear) I like the revs of the std bore.
But I have heard that a 1216 with just the inlet cam off the GSXR , good head work and compression and jetting/pipe would be great for you?  Maybe not even the cam if in traffic ?   
Go over to maximum-Suzuki  forums for extra info  I'm there too !   Gaz.   

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 01:11:38 AM »
Hey, Gaz...
WHICH year GSXR Ohlins shock will fit, please??

PS.. Hayabusa shocks can be had for 50-70 bucks (USD) on EBay. I may go that route if no proper Ohlins can be found.

ALSO; you might want to be careful about exxxxxtending your rear shock; I used an older-model (1992) GSXR 750 shock on my previous B12, and it always had a weird, vague steering oscillation.. anytime the forks extended coming off a highway bump. I tried adjusting all steering factors (head bearings, etc.) and could never eliminate it. Might have been due to the longer shock..??

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 01:59:19 AM »
I have been running an 89/90 gsxr1100 shock for over two yers now, both on the road and club roadrace meets.  It does quicken up the steering a tad and of course gives the chain a hard time with the extra angle and slightly longer travel but I'm used to it now. The pegs still drag but not as much as before.   (and you have to use a piece of wood or something under the mainstand to get the wheel clear of the ground)
Oh, and I think you'll find the Busa shock even longer at 330mm as apposed to the GSXR at about 315mm !!!!!!!    Gaz.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:58:13 AM »
I'll be going the busa route here soon.  There are so many to be had, I am just buying my time and looking for the right deal. 
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:23:55 AM »
Desperately Awaiting The Answers...
-Shocking GXSR! (what years fit?)
-Ohlins! Ohlins! My Kingdom for an Ohlins!
-to Busa or Not to Busa
(... don't want to fall over the handlebars, ya know...)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
Only rear shock that I have heard of being a direct fit is the Busa shock.  I have a friend who is doing a gsxr swingarm and shock.  He is having to modify the frame to make it accept the gsxr shock.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 01:05:19 PM »
From the "Shock transplant - GSX-R & Hayabusa" in the FAQ's:

According to Fast Larry's Bandit FAQ the '91-'94 GSX-R 750 shock is preferred for the 1G B12, and if the rider is large and/or carries heavy loads frequently, the GSX-R 1100 shock of '91-'98 vintage (possibly '89-'90 also) can be used. Either of these shocks will raise the rear of a Bandit 1-1.5". You may need to do a little grinding/filing on the back side of the lower attach point for the above shocks to fit.
For anyone with a 2nd Gen B12, disregard any of the above (unless you want to lower your bike) since the newer model uses a longer shock.

Earlier GSX-R shocks don't have a remote reservior and later ones are too long (and their piggyback reservior may cause fitment problems as well). The 2nd Gen B12 may be able to use the '95+ GSX-R 750 shock, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet. The popular budget swap for the 2G is to use a stock Hayabusa shock. These have piggyback reserviors, but fit easily if you have pod filters but will work with a stock airbox with some light trimming of the airbox.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline roogazza

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 05:57:35 PM »
My 89/90 Gsxr1100 shock slid straight in , no mods at all !  as I said , just a bit longer (12mm) and it has the remote reservior which I attached by hose clip to the bar next to the seat lock.  Gaz.

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 10:59:36 PM »
THANKS, guys! Excellent. Gotta love this forum... glad to have registered here. (I recently got boo'd off an English, "Superbike" forum for being, well, too.. AMERICAN).

Well, I broke-down, and my trembling finger punched "BUY IT NOW" on Ebay for a new progressive 420 shock from Starcycle. $382. I'd been eyeing Ohlins for a long time... but I just couldn't justify the 850 Yankee Greenbacks (and that's the CHEAPEST I found.. if so interested: www.kyleusa.com ). So instead I Spllluuuuurrrged on the Progressive 420. The price was good; about $40 cheaper than I'd seen anywhere else. Dale Walker's site claims the 420 is excellent; I figure it's gotta be better than that stock dish-rag Suzuki mounted on there.

I have two B12's... a '97 and a '98. I got a fantastic deal on the '98 off of  Ebay.. a black one (actually navy blue), mint, with only 1800 miles.. $3100!.. couldn't resist. Anyway I swapped all the performance goodies onto the '98 and returned the red '97 to stock, except for the '92 GSXR 750 shock I'd put on it. I never really liked it too much; maybe because the rebound-damping adjustment screw wouldn't turn.. maybe because the shock was too long. Coming off a bump, the rear would rise noticeably, changing the front-end angle, possibly the cause of a vague, annoying, speed-oscillation.

So screw it; I splurged for the Progressive today. Anyone have that shock on their B12 , or know about it? I hope I made the right decision ! You get whatcha pay for..

PS.. I sent an inquiry to Holeshot regarding a 1216cc bore kit and possible head-work; Dale personally sent me back an immediate reply, mentioned for me to call him and chat directly. Now THAT'S service! I think when I get back to the US at Christmas, it'll be time to pull the head and jugs off..  send 'em over to Dale for, (as we say here in China).. MA-SA-GEEE ! (Me Love you Long-Time).

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 10:50:15 AM »
THANKS, guys! Excellent. Gotta love this forum... glad to have registered here. (I recently got boo'd off an English, "Superbike" forum for being, well, too.. AMERICAN).

Please explain what you mean by being "too AMERICAN".
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 12:11:34 PM »

Please explain what you mean by being "too AMERICAN".

Maybe because he can't spell "centre" and "tyre"  :lol:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)