Author Topic: RACE TECH SPRING INSTALL  (Read 3803 times)

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
RACE TECH SPRING INSTALL
« on: May 19, 2005, 03:48:03 AM »
I just got a new set of Race Tech fork springs for my B12. They sent spacer material along with the springs which got me to wondering. Is it likely that the new springs are a different length than the stock springs. What gives?

I was thinking I would just pull the old springs and replace them w/o a total shock rebuild. The bike only has 3,000 miles on the odometer. Bear with me here. I normally research the crap out of a thing before I do it.  I'm looking for a lesson on front forks.

I did a fork rebuild on a Goldwing once and it was a nightmare. If I have to do a rebuild, I'm going to wait until winter. :?:

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
forks
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 04:30:07 PM »
Cartridge forks are more complicated than the old damper rod.  If you don't do things right you can easily damage a lot of parts and replacing them can cost some serious $$.  Take the forks off the bike yourself and take them to a repair shop with your new springs.  Have them do the tricky work of dismantling, seal replacement, etc.  They can install springs & fluid and button them back up.  This doesn't cost much and can save a lot of headaches.

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
RACE TECH SPRING INSTALL
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 05:52:56 PM »
Probably good advice. Thanks.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
RACE TECH SPRING INSTALL
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 10:05:54 PM »
Its been a few yrs. since I did mine. But yes the springs are different,the pvc pipe that comes with it is the spacer that needs cut to size. If you do decide to do it yourself, I'll look back in my notes (somewhere?) and see if I marked down the length I cut them to.

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
RACE TECH SPRING INSTALL
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 04:37:28 PM »
Thanks. I'm planning on dropping the bike off at the dealership for a couple of weeks over the winter. I due for a valve adjust after this summer so I figure I'll have that done and the springs installed. I do appreciate the help. :thanks: