Author Topic: Rear preload affects steering?  (Read 2072 times)

Offline BanditoNova

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Love is . . . twisting the wrist!
Rear preload affects steering?
« on: May 11, 2007, 11:39:20 PM »
I have just bought this bike last week after selling my old 750 Katana and I've just increased the rear preload on my '01 1200 to a '6' setting from the stock '4' and what a difference. Feels as if it's a lighter bike with quicker steering response. (considerably firmer too) Is this normal?

I'm 6' & 195lbs and it felt too soft.
I'm kinda new to monkeying with bikes :shock:
This is where something witty and intelligent goes . . .

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Rear preload affects steering?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 12:41:10 AM »
Quote from: "BanditoNova"
I have just bought this bike last week after selling my old 750 Katana and I've just increased the rear preload on my '01 1200 to a '6' setting from the stock '4' and what a difference. Feels as if it's a lighter bike with quicker steering response. (considerably firmer too) Is this normal?

I'm 6' & 195lbs and it felt too soft.
I'm kinda new to monkeying with bikes :shock:

Yep.  :grin:

Going up on the rear preload changes your chassis angle ass-up nose-down, thus changing the rake and trail, thus giving you quicker steering.

You may want to check your headlight adjustment now, it probably points a bit lower since you raised the rear.

Just minute adjustments to your suspension can make big differences in the way your bike handles. Now that you've gotten started tuning her up, you might want to check this link:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/suspension/
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline BanditoNova

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Love is . . . twisting the wrist!
Rear preload affects steering?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 10:20:44 AM »
ZenMan,

Thanks for the explanation and the link. I'm going for a read & a ride! :motorsmile:
This is where something witty and intelligent goes . . .